iPhone 4 as Track Day Camera

Discussion in 'The Video Forum' started by Deako, Nov 2, 2010.

1. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I have some pretty interesting applications on the iPhone now, for data logging, lap timing, video recording with data logging overlay. G-force, speed indicators. Etc. All sorts of things.

So i wanted to see how viable it would be to use the iPhone 4 as a Track Day camera. Initially i bought a windscreen suction mount for the iPhone. This was just a generic smartphone holder from Halfords.

Since then, i have discovered that these are pretty much banned from all circuits in the UK now. So i needed to explore other options. Back in 2003 i purchased a B-Hague headrest camera mount, and it was great. I recorded sessions from a Donington track day in my Jetta VR6 using this.

So i thought i would revisit this device and see what options were available. As well as this, B-Hague sell a modified RAM-Mount iPhone adapter plate which fits on the standard 1/4" camera mount thread. Bonus!!! :thumbup:

Here are the 2x devices:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

These arrived today at work, so i thought i would pop out, set it up (as the track day is Saturday) and drive the car around the block to test it out.

Please bear in mind, its nearly dark, i havent set a focus point on the video and this was an initial setup. The position/angle might require tweaking. Video is also available in HD.

[YOUTUBE]LzI3KYzIakk[/YOUTUBE]

With 30gb thereabouts available. The ability to power the phone from 12v, and if i take the laptop with me i can transfer videos, if and when, i fill it up. It seemed like a great option. Anyway, the video is pretty pants, but if anyone has an iPhone and wants to make use of this instead of spend money on additional cameras/camcorders. Then id recommend investigating.

The iMT4 iPhone mount can be used with any type of 1/4" camera clamp, so for those with roll cages and different types of mounts you could use this. Its held in pretty securely, but if you want to protect the back of your phone, id suggest some adhesive foam to the mount.

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  2. richwig83 Forum Member

Looks like it might be a good idea... but you need to get the camera further forward so its not focusing on the cabin!

3. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

I`ve been failry impressed with the iPhone 4`s video but have found the same problem, that it struggles to focus over long distance, if there`s even the merest hint of something closer.

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I prefer this perspective. You can see more of the car/track. And driver interaction. Not a particular fan of cameras right at the front of the car. Even thinking of getting a wide angle adapter for the iPhone so that you can see the entire cabin.

Focusing on a distant object isnt a problem. You just set the focal point before you start recording. I didnt do that on this test. Some really good iPhone 4 trackday videos on youtube now.

[YOUTUBE]i6xxalxUtto[/YOUTUBE]

5. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Heres a vid i did in 2003 with my Jetta VR6 at Donington using a B-Hague Headrest mount.

[YOUTUBE]16ewsUcCwe0[/YOUTUBE]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2010
  6. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

just bought a creative vado hd for 60 which i thought was a bargain from amazon, when it arrives am going ot get some night time drving footage on the way back from work, might be an alternative for only 60

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

iPhone Video Camera is actually really good, so ill be sticking with that. Format of videos is in the correct type for my Macbook as well. Will stick all the videos up from Bedford on Saturday so people can see what its like in good conditions when setup properly.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cracking really. So much media potential in these devices now - the 'Ring officials are wasting their time now as a result of them!

Look forward to the vids :thumbup:

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Incredible really isnt it Chris.

Just grabbed a PDA from work too, to setup RaceChrono. The applications on the iphone are good, but require you to set the start/finish. So im not going to rely on those for the timing/data. The downloadable track files for RaceChrono are so much more accurate than this method. But i will be doing some playing/testing on the day with various things.

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've had RaceChrono working at Curby & at the 'Ring earlier in the Summer.

Cracking App. The only downside is if you publicise it, others see it as their remit to judge your performance, based on the amount of comparable information available - which is to miss the point of your earned & paid-for leisure!

It does have its fantastic uses mind & I put RaceChrono in the Reeves cars, just to get data when the cars are being worked on & set up changes made. Previously, all done on stopwatches - now more or less totally accurate.

11. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I have now purchased Harry's Lap Timer Pro HD from the Apple App store. Its so comprehensive. It also does video overlay of timing, g force and mapping of the track.

Harry's Lap Timer

I have had to jailbreak my phone though to get it to work with an external bluetooth GPS receiver (as i dont have the Tomtom GPS device, which is 100). But it should prove to be extremely interesting. Wasnt cheap at 8.99, but seems to be comprehensive.

It automatically splits the laps into seperate videos in HD, you can then export the video with the overlay on it. Created a lap of my neighbourhood using the built in mapping application and google maps, and tested it out. Split the lap into a seperate video. Unfortunately, i wasnt using a GPS receiver at the time, and the internal GPS was blocked by the roof. But it still worked.

Cant wait to test it tomorrow.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  12. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Did post a video, but decided to let everyone see what its like after tomorrow. [:D]

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  13. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

wow cool app ,now downloaded

I also did some footage at the ring this year with my iphone as passanger and very impressed with the footage

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

My 'ring videos (example link below) were shot on a 3GS, and I was really impressed with the quality. I haven't used the iPhone4 yet, but would expect it to be even better, with its HD capability.

15. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

Now come you used a external GPS ? is the built in one not quick enough

Just playing about with the app now

16. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent. The ability to download POIs in the Pro version for free is good too. And the recent addition of HD video has made it superb.

I really had to JB the phone though to install BT Stack GPS, otherwise the GPS data just wasnt good enough. :thumbup:

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Only 1hz. So the updates arent fast enough. And i have the phone on the B-Hague mount too, so it blocks the signal a bit. Since adding the external GPS, the tracking is fantastic. That sits on the dashboard with a clear view of the sky, the phone is connected via Bluetooth to it via BT Stack GPS which passes GPS information to any app on the iPhone. Brilliant stuff.

18. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

ok cool ,i have a decent BT device i use for sat nav , time for a JB then and bt app

Got any links on how to do it ?

Cheers

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I used redsn0w with IOS4.1, but there are alternatives.

Its pretty easy. Download redsn0w and the standard IPSW for your version of firmware. Run redsn0w and point it at the IPSW. Select install Cydia only. Turn your phone off, plug it into the USB. Put your phone into DFU mode (instructions included in redsn0w). Then it will JB the phone.

Be patient, wait for the JB, then wait for the reboot. Tada....it will install Cydia and then you can browse for non app store software. BT Stack GPS carries a $5 fee, but its worth it for the added accuracy.

20. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

cool cheers mate

will have play later