I've finally BOUGHT a T4 Transporter :-)

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by PhatVR6, Oct 11, 2008.

1. pettsy Forum Member

I've also got an ex-aa T4 thats my daily driver/tow vehicle :thumbup:
    I was lucky and found one with all the extras left on such as toolboxes/lightbars/jump start points/worklights/air assisted rear susp and beacons. I need to order the stalks,then i'll also have cruise control too :)

[​IMG]

2. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

I've been to look at some ex Transco vans today. I'm quite into the powder blue colour, would look ace with some orange gulf stripes or 76 logo's. they weren't in amazing condition, and were still vans (2 seats, bulkhead, no carpets) but I'm now thinking that's the best way to go. buy a cheap van, and kit it out how i want it with however many seats and windows i like.

and the good thing is, they are all 2.5TDI syncro's :-)

the guy has 4 for them too, so i think i'll be popping back there once the s8 has sold. next door neighbour is showing a lot of interest in that so with a bit of luck that might be sold in a couple of weeks.

3. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

Sounds very cool - what sort of money do they go for?

4. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

he was asking 4k. but had 4 of them, ranging from 68k to 110k. All ex transco and had clearly been used as working vans, but looked well straight and solid underneath.

sure i can knock him down a fair bit too.

5. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

hmm, just been thinking, if i did buy a van, wouls that mean the tax and insurance situation is different? and would i be subject to the lower speed limits?

what defines it as a van? i.e. if i fit windows, how many do i have to fit before it's not classed as a van anymore? and would i have to change the v5 to reflect this?

6. vrbanana Forum Junkie

think I may have an oe double seat from a Caravelle/LT

they can change the seating capacity on a normal MOT but if they are aftermarket seats, then they need to conform to certain regs, cross braces on the legs, M10 bolts for the mounting of the legs and spreader plates underneath or large washers. The van may have some mounting pints in the floor for the oe seats but I’m not sure

7. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

We have a T5 caravelle and its lovely. But as you say, 174BHP on the front wheels we can only get 10k to a set of tyres.

Tax and speed limits are the same i think but the only problem we had was insurance. Most of the big firms dont do commercial so had to look around a fair bit. Came up with morethan in the end

8. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

it can't cost any more than an group20 S8 surely....

this isn't as simple as i thought. here's thinking converting a van to how i want it would be cheaper, perhaps not...

I do want the syncro though, especially after the downpours we've had at the shows in the last 2 years.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

A windsurfer mate with a T4 panel van had a load of hassle insuring it, going the commercial route in the end.

Why do you really need to move the bar up and have a syncro though? The price of this project is jumping.... See Jettadan's van.

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

well, it's only getting used through the winter when i can't use the bike, or for camping (in a field), or for towing, or going to the tip etc etc. so i'd say the 4wd is necessary. I can't bring myself to ever buy another fwd vehicle, i really do despise it that much.

11. pettsy Forum Member

I had a few issues when first insuring my ex-aa. I tried to transfer insurance from my caddy to my t4, but they didn't like it as it has 5 seats (even though it is factory fit!) had to change to a different company. Its still insured as a commercial vehicle even though i only use it privately. Another strange thing with ex-aa's is the fact they are taxed as a diesel car,not a van!

12. floaty Forum Member

My ex AA is on the logbook as a LCV which i think means the tax will be less??[:s]

13. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

hmm, complicated.

There's a VR6 caravelle on eBay with no back seats...that might be a better bet? I know where there's an LPG kit that'd go straight on.

14. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

[:o)] honestly! like it matters in a sodding van.

15. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

i was thinking that!!!! so are you looking for a carravelle so you can do camping etc that can also do van stuff??

16. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

yep, multi purpose vehicle. cars are no use to me these days.

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Seconded! It's a workhorse FFS! nutter 4x4 has had no bother (p1)

18. nutter4x4 Paid Member Paid Member

been in for its yearly service at VW this week, a massive 101 plus vodka and tonic:thumbup:

19. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

durrr, are non of you listening? how many times have you been camping on tarmac......if i hand't been in a 4wd this last 2 years i'd have got stuck a santa pod a couple of times. it's not for "spirited" driving, it's for driving on fields which may have been reduced to a mudbath.

would love a syncro...but they seem to be too rare to be able to look around and find a decent one.

20. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

Err.. have been camping on grass probably 15-20 times in the last 5 years in different weather conditions, twice at santa pod, in a T25 (fwd) Didnt get stuck once. People dont camp on tarmac as its a little tricky getting the tent pegs in the ground! Your choice though chap but they dont struggle with traction, if they did they none would have ever been produced.