Ive Had Enough!!!...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Richard Mk2, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Richard Mk2

Richard Mk2 Paid Member Paid Member

Alright Guys. I never thought i'd say this but ive had enough of my MK2 Golf.[:x] [:x] [:x]

I was on the way to a garage early this morning, who was going to remove the snapped wishbone captive nut out for me!
    So i woke up early, got ready and left as early as possible.
    I decided to go down the A40 motorway to try and get down to the garage as quick as possible.
    Everything seemed fine with the car, it was driving ok as usual, with everything working as it should be!:thumbup:

Next thing i know, while doing 80mph in the fast lane, the whole inside of the car filled up with steam(at 1st i thought it was smoke) and i couldn't see anything at all. It blinded my vision for atleast 15-20 seconds. Luckily it was at 9.30am and there was hardly any cars on the road. Im so glad it happened where it did bcoz there was a small hard shoulder to pull on to.

As the screen is all condensated badly with no way of seeing out, i managed to get over safely by opening the window fully, leaning my head out while guiding it over the lanes to the hard shoulder with the hazards on, belowing steam all over the place. As i pulled up i noticed that hot water had sprayed all over me. The whole dash was soaked, all the clocks were condensated and i had puddles in the footwells.

I got out of the car and lifted the bonnet. No leaks anywhere in sight. So i thought it must be the heater matrix. I needed to get off the motorway, as cars and lorries were just wizzing past me at 70mph+. I knew there was a turning a minute down the road where i could work on the car safely, so i decided to drain all the coolant out from the rad so there was nothing left in the car. Obviously it stopped the water and steam from entering the car then, so i jumped in and drove down to the next turn off into a housing estate, where i could have a porper look.
    I had a look and the only thing i could do to get home was to remove the heater hose feed and return hoses and bypass them back through. Filled it up with water and slowly drove home through the back roads...

I think i had a lucky escape tbh. Imagine if there was traffic in front of me or someone had braked. Glad im all good though. I might strip the car now and buy a GTi 3 door instead. Ive had enough of all these silly little problems!!!!!!!!!!

Has anyone ever had this happen to them before ?

EDIT - IM KEEPING IT NOW<<<<<< JUST A MOMENT OF MADNESS GUYS:lol:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  2. Richard Mk2

Wasn't there a recal years ago for heater matrix to be replaced?

3. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    yes and if they were fitted and working your matrix should have been isolated from the system eg - no heat.

these things go in every car, some of the originals fitted to mk2s were substandard hence the recall. if yours had its original matrix it has done well to last that long to be fair.

just seems like you have a golf thats putting up a fight, and im sorry to say this but with the attitude your putting across about being fed up it could only get worse. you need to think of it like a little baby dropping its beaker full of juice, its only a minor spillage - and will soon be ok.

next week it may be something else - maybe baby will drop its rusk or even worse spill daddies red wine on the front room carpet. im quite fortunate that i dont get many issues and am handy with the old tool kit (and have a spare car)

also summers here (ish) so you can run with no heaters untill you sort it

4. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Probably the most stupid thing I've read. You have a wishbone hanging off so you drive at 80mph to get to the garage quickly. Didn't you think to take it slow and steady

Probably the best thing you've said. Regarding the heater matrix, I've read it's a pig of a job to replace, but for your sake (and ours) maybe it's time to say goodbye to the car.

5. Richard Mk2

Look mate im not in the mood for hearing comments like that after what ive had happen today tbh. I probably will break the car up for parts as its not really worth spending 100's to put right...

The wishbone isn't hanging off at all. I moved it back in place yesterday, as some of the sheard nut fitted into the wishbone bush, which was keeping it supported. Plus there is no way it could come off as the anti roll bar and sub frame is keeping it in place.
    I didn't want to use the back roads as they are full of speed bumps. Which would most likely make it worse...

And i'd like to see anyone trying to take it slow on the A40, when youv'e got people wizzing past you at 80+

It was a scary moment but luckily all was well and nothing major happened :thumbup:

I susspose if the matrix hadn't of exploded, i wouldnt be thinking of breaking up the car. I would of had the captive nut mended and be on my ay home. But it just really ****ed me off, which is why ive had enough.......[:x] [:^(]

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  6. paul_c Forum Member

Sounds like you've lost your Mojo. Yeah from the sounds of it, sell it. Don't buy a Mk1 to replace it, if you think your list of 10 or so items is long, it will appear short compared to the average Mk1!

Maybe its time to invest a little more into the next car (original purchase price, not subsequent work), maybe you can find a Mk2, if not then there's small japanese cars, etc and others, which are boringly reliable.

7. Richard Mk2

Hopefully, i can find a mint, well looked after MK2 :thumbup: Dont get me wrong, i love working on MK2's when things go wrong, as there cheap for parts and sometimes easy to fix.:thumbup:
    You feel good when you sort something yourself, but as the list on my car goes on forever, its finally got to me... I like MK1's, but good solid examples are so rare these days. But my next car will definately 100% be a VW :thumbup:(most likely a MK2;) ). Ive owned 5 MK2's already.........

I'd never buy a jap car tbh, EVER LOL :lol: I hate them with a passion... They maybe reliable, but i hate the sight of any Jap car. Especially them rude boys you see driving around in the too fast, too furious style 1.4 civics LOL :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Like this LOL

[​IMG]

I'm Vw through and through..............

German Engineering all the way!!! :thumbup:

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. keith_lemon

keith_lemon Forum Member

on the edge.... also north wales, close to rhyl
    i was looking on autotrader for mk2s yesterday - i didn`t find one for under 1K and that had a few issues.

seems either everyone has scrapped the old birds or they are in storage somewhere.

9. paul_c Forum Member

Secondhand market is all over the place at the moment, I suspect people are hanging onto a nice car if they have one. Not that many will be 'upgrading' for the sake of it. Hence, its only the bangers you see up for sale.

10. Richard Mk2

Ive been looking on Autotrader too. Not alot to choose from but i did find one which looks really nice...

1989 VOLKSWAGEN Golf 1.8 GTi

Features: 137,000 miles Manual Black Petrol Hatchback 1781 cc Full Description: Glossary of Terms

1989, 137000 Miles, Stunning Black Coachwork,12 Months Mot,Service History,Factory Fitted Sunroof,Alloy Wheels,CD Player,Front Fog Lamps,Rear Wash Wipe,Very Good Condition Throughout,Credit/Debit Cards Accepted. 975. ono.

[​IMG]

11. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

I thought you didn't like black?

12. bazoldskoolmk2 Forum Member

IMO

In My Opinion There Aint Much That Can Go Wrong Wi A Mk1 Or Mk2 That Sum1 Wi A Wee Bit Savvy N Limited Tools Can Bring Back- Technology At Its Best!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

13. Richard Mk2

Who said i didn't like black mate. Its a bit obvious i like it as i own a black mk2[:s] :clap:

14. Richard Mk2

Yea i can see what you mean mate. I love working on cars, especially MK2's.
    The Red MK2, which i owned before, me and friend carried out every Mod on the car, even putting the K-jet engine in and gearbox from my other written off B-reg Mk2.:thumbup:

Ive done a few mods to my current one. Like suspension, Gearbox, exhaust, bumpers, lights, seats ect... ect... But the last few months have been a nightmare, especially the captive nut shearing off in the chassis.[:x] Then the Matrix eploding in my face whilst driving.[:x]

Plus its only a 1.8 Driver with a knackered carb, and i would rather have a nice clean 3 door GTi to play about on. Would be easier to tune aswell. :thumbup: And It'll save me the hassle of changing to rear disks on my driver. :thumbup:

EDIT-
    Update...

Above was a monent of madness. Thought i'd had enough but i cant get rid of my Mk2.
    So will be keeping it... Keep an eye out guys!!!

Last edited: May 6, 2009
  15. dan_1987

dan_1987 Forum Member

Ok, so you don't dislike black, but wanted to have your car resprayed in another colour - remember?

http://www.clubgti.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=185529

Can I suggest you buy one in a colour you want this time.

16. wcrado Forum Member

I never quite trust people who describe the car's colour as 'coachwork'.

Anyway, the STEAM thing happened to me today! :thumbup:

It was my own stupid fault, admittedly......

I was trying to set the CO on my mk2, and having gotten 'in the ball park', I was doing my final adjustments to get it to close to the 1.8 I wanted. Problem was, the car was now well warm, and the CO meter I was using was darting around all over the place- even when the fan wasn't blowing it was moving about from 1.7 to 2.3. Obviously when the fan did cut in, it went even more mental, so I decided to disconnect the fan for a few minutes...... 2 minutes later I notice steam coming from the vents...... 10 seconds later (I'm desperately trying to reconnect the fan now).....and.....BOOM! Got a sauna in the car!

What a **** I am. :thumbup:

Water all over the footwells.

Nice. I reckon I'm gonna bypass it TBH. Whats the downside of bypassing it, that I just can't get hot air from the blowers? Thats no worries, it's boiling outside, and they're never that effective anyway. I can't afford to buy a new matrix, and getting a second hand one surely I'd be running the risk of it going POP again....

Oh and to the guy who posted this originally- Why sell? You'll have to mend it to sell it anyway. If you've spent any kind of money on the car I wouldn't bother, unless you really want a 3-door, then just find one with the least rust you possibly can!

These cars are awesome, I wouldn't want to drive anything else.

17. Richard Mk2

Hey mate, It is a 3 door...( My Project is in the clicky below)

Ive decided to keep it now. That was just a moment of madness i had there.
    Everything was going wrong for me that day, and i really had, had enough. [:x] But im all good now [:D][:D] [:D]
    Im putting a GTi lump in it now, and im going to restore it as best i can.

Regarding your matrix, ive currently bypassed mine and its fine. Make sure there isn't a kink in the pipe, as it will cause it to obviously overheat.

Its a nightmare when it happens, but easily fixable if you can get hold of a new/or used decent one. Im sure you'll need it in the winter if its your daily mate:thumbup: ...

Last edited: Jun 2, 2009
  18. WillG

WillG Forum Member

matrixes are 37.80 from gsf, come winter when you get heat fast from them like you do from a new one you'll wish you had one!

19. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

never that effective? in winter my heater warms up faster than anything else that doesn't come with a fuelled heater (e.g. Landrover Discovery 3).. you need to try one with a working new matrix.

17832B HEATER MATRIX G3 11/91 >2/99 37.80
    18004 HEATER HOSE (FEED) G2 1.6 / 1.8 Carb 8/83 >10/91 9.60
    18005 HEATER HOSE (RETURN) G2 1.6 / 1.8 Carb 8/83 >10/91 9.45

go to GSF and get those parts... no bypassing or bodging!! :)

20. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

The increase in erratic behaviour on the CO meter could have been due to additional electrical noise caused by the fan motor. The Gunson CO meters are particularly susceptible to ignition and motor noise, it seems. As recommended by TSC a while back, power your CO meter from a separate car battery.