Ive Had Enough!!!...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Richard Mk2, Mar 1, 2009.

1. wcrado Forum Member

Sorry, in your first post you said you might sell and get a gti 3-door, I just figured that meant you had a 5 door.

Sorry Ben S but I am going to bodge for the time being- Taking the car to France in July, I've got enough to pay for at the moment without having to worry about this.... It's not my daily, so come autumn/winter I can replace it. Cheers for the part numbers though, that'll help me when I have to order!

Hey Trev, How did you know it was a Gunson? thats good guesswork. Yeah we powered it off the car battery, didn't really think noise would interfere with it. Anyway, just beofre it went BANG it was tilting between 1.8 and 2.2 so at least I know it's ball park. I was messing with it for ages, as I fitted the 3.5 bar fuel pressure reg from a porsche 944s the other week, and I had to wind the AFM wheel back 6 notches to even get it within ball park figures..... to be fair though, I had wound it forward on the standard AFM to get better response....[:$]

Anyway..... How do I bypass it? Obviously I have to join those two pipes together (they have a piece of copper pipe in each, I'm guessing that's where the previous owner bypassed the valves?) Do i need a bit of copper pipe with two 90degree bends in it (or one complete 180degree bend)? Or can I tease the rubber pipes round with a straight bit of pipe?

Another job produces another job.... will it ever end? [8(]

2. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

you could join the existing pipes to a solid pipe e.g. plastic or copper then join the two solid pipes with a flexible section. keeping it all in the engine bay to avoid getting boiled if it goes pop

3. EZ_Pete

EZ_Pete Forum Junkie

I reckon that bypassing rather than replacing it will be a good thing over the summer. Why have all that boiling-hot water going through the cabin when you don't need it?

I'm no plumber, but I'd've thought with a couple of 90 fittings, a short straight bit of pipe and a bit of soldering, you'd be well away. :)

4. tinydubs

tinydubs Forum Member

allthought we don`t need heater in the summer it is still a radiator, if you get stuck in a monster traffic jam you`ll really appreciate the fact you can open the windows and sunroof, crank up the heater and try to cool the old girl down some. better than overheating

trouble some they can be, but are you really sure you want to bypass it before it breaks?
    wouldn`t it be better to carry the bypass as a "get you home"fix.....

5. wcrado Forum Member

It has broken! So too late for that! A mahoosive puddle on both floorwells (luckily it's stripped out at the mo) and a sauna of an interior means there's not much left of it. It won't matter though, surely? Just instead of the air circulating round the matrix it will just go round the engine? As long as whatever is joining the pipes is secure enough to handle the heat and pressure, it won't matter surely?

I'll use a higher mix of coolant to water anyway, as it's running a 4 branch. On my old corrado valver which also had a stainless 4 branch, it ran hot as hell. I heatwrapped the manifold, which made a little bit of difference, but evenutally I ran a 50/50 mix of coolant to water and it sorted it right out.

6. wcrado Forum Member

Can I join the pipes from where the bypass valves have been replaced by copper pipe?

I'm thinking I can either ditch them, and find a 180 degree bent bit of copper pipe to replace, or some bent hose to on to the copper hoses.

7. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

FFS, if the interior is already stripped out, it`s about half an hour`s job to fit a new one...

8. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

when you drive an old car all part of the "fun"
    try rebuilding an engine put it in and the head gasket blows up within 2 miles...lol
    whole 2 weekends and expense.....

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Yes you can - use 22mm pipe if you can't get 19mm.

10. wcrado Forum Member

I know, but I can't afford one!

It's not my daily, I'll be using it over the summer then probably garaging again, so I can tackle it then, when I have the cash.

Cheers mike, so it's 19mm I really need.