K-Jet - Interesting Metering Heads & Air Weighing Valves

Discussion in 'K-Jetronic OEM injection' started by Dave, Aug 13, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the problem with just having a valve is there is no warm up control whatsoever, they would have had to deal with a very unhappy engine till it warmed up without some kind of regulated control pressure unit as there would only be 1 temperature at which the control pressure would be correct. i guess the twin pump setup is just for redundancy?

for a motorsport application its no big deal to have to mess aboutto get the car warmed up, once its at temerature the valve there wouldnt have any advantage over a std wur except weight and i guess it had a pressure gauge on it for ease of adjustment 'in the field'

2. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Off the top of my head standard system pressure is 4.8-5.2bar, but don't quote me on that :lol:

In theory increasing system pressure will have an effect as it will supply a higher pressure to the injectors i believe, however in practice I'm not sure this is actually the case or what the true change would be as I have never tried it per say...what I can tell you is that I have successfully leaned off fueling when car was fitted with a standard non adjustable 8v WUR by reducing system pressure.

I think I have some screen capture software at home so will try that first to post the results, if not I'll take a pic as suggested :thumbup:

3. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Well folks here's the promised chart....any questions let me know :thumbup:
    AFRvsRPM.jpg

I have just plotted the data straight from the printouts provided by the rolling roads...

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 5, 2022
  4. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think there are a couple more advantages

- In the pre 16v days, it would have been easier to adjust than the plunger on the 8v WUR, as opposed to the screw in the back of the 16v one.
    - Because it's not relying on being on the engine to measure warmup, you've got more choice of where you mount it, meaning it's not exposed in a crash, like the 8v one on the front of the block, and easier to change an engine as there's one less thing to take off the lump.

5. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Good points Mike :thumbup:

I noticed on Samfish's car the 16v WUR fitted has been relocated over by the airbox....I'm actually in the process of making up a shield to go round my airbox and forward towards the front panel to shield the area from hot air from the engine as when I was on the dyno the other week in 29deg ambient we were seeing 46deg air inlet temps :o My plan is to relocate my WUR and mount it on the engine side of the shielding with a hole in the shielding so that I can easily adjust the pressure if ever needed ;)

6. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

i think you mean control pressure as that is what the WUR dose it controls the pressure on top of the piston in side the metering head
    the one the flap acts on
    if you adjust the WUR to give more pressure it lean's out the mixture
    if you adjust it to give it less pressure it richen the mixture
    ie if it has less pressue the flap can open faster and higher up than it would with a higher pressure

system pressure is controlled by the valve on the side of the metering head

7. mitlom

mitlom Forum Member

Mushy,

Jamesa was asking if I had tested to see what the effect of changing system pressure was....that's what I was replying to initially. However I can also confirm that I have successfully leaned off fueling when using a std 8v WUR (not easily adjustable) by reducing system pressure by reducing the thickness of shim used in the valve on the side of the fuel distribution head....now I don't profess to know if this reduced fueling by reducing fuel flow to injectors but that is the only thing I can think of! I can confirm that this was done on the rollers with a Innovate LC-1 connected to is fact not rumour or theory :thumbup:

8. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

aye i see what your getting at i'v adjusted a few 8v WUR in the past it's not a fun job sometimes
    adjusting the system pressure will afect the control pressure as well and may have some desirable effects but i suspect to effect will be to small to be any use
    it would be intresting to test this out

when you reducing system pressure i take it this was to reduce the top end fueling
    did you get any increase in fueling lower down or was it reduced over the whole range
    do you have the before and after pressure ?
    and did you check to see how much it afected the control pressure

do you see what i thinking about

yes that what would of happened

9. Gambit

Gambit Paid Member Paid Member

Another for the list.

Porsche 924 2.0 8v
    0438 120 101
    047 133 353D

rough measurements, vernier toes arent big enough :(

80mm throat
    105mm step
    114mm top

80->105 depth is 21mm
    105 -> 114 depth is 19mm

jamesa likes this.
  10. Dave

Dave *Very Smart* Pedantic Old Fart Paid Member

I have managed to find another FMH and bought it.
    The seller didn't have the AMH.
    This is serial Num. 066. The other is 067.

[​IMG]

Sirguydo, jamesa and MUSHY 16V like this.
  11. Zender Z20

Zender Z20 Paid Member Paid Member

Going to resurrect this one!

It was referenced in a different post I made recently and I believe Rubjonny has also tidied it up in the last day or so.

What prompted it was my getting the airbox and gubbins from a Volvo 240 (exact model not clear) and it came along with the airflow meter.

Long story short the alloy casting of the Volvo and the MK1 1.8 DX version are confimed as the same part, the difference is how the funnel profile has been machined.

Below is an updated image from that other post of the Volvo's dimensions, taken with a cheap vernier so subject to some error.

compare6.jpg

The MK1's version of the casting has a lot more meat left on it's funnel walls, the Volvo's possibly shows how much extra can be taken away and still work.

compare.jpg

The pivoting arm is a slighly different casting but the points of contact with the disc and fuel meter plunger are the same, the one difference I can find is that pin which rests on the leaf spring.

Having said that I was watching a Merc. Kjet video and the equivalent pin can be pushed in / out to adjust the resting spot so likely could be done here too.

If you've a MK1 item it's probably immaterial as its arm and other parts will swap straight over to the bare Volvo casting and solve that potential issue for you.

compare1.jpg

compare4.jpg

compare5.jpg

Most of the other parts seem interchangable too such as the inner arm that holds the adjusting screw (even same part number even).

A side issue - the adjustment screw on one of the meters pictured had been rounded out, they're 3.0mm hex originally.

I was able to fix this particular one by pressing in a 1/8 SAE hex socket using a vice to enlarge / recreate a new shaped hole. Won't take a 3.0mm any more but a 1/8 SAE allen key will still fit down the inspection tube.

compare3.jpg

Some of the Volvo measurements aren't far off those being quoted earlier for various VW funnels.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2022