Keep -'em peeled - new Golf GTI Edition 35 advert - Back to the Future stylee

Discussion in 'Mk6' started by A.N. Other, Nov 11, 2011.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

There's a new advert out / out shortly, according to my reliable parts counter source at the local VW dealer.

Filmed in the old Prices Candles building in Battersea, incidentally right next door to said dealer, in which there's a journey in the Edition 35, and then it zaps back in time to a Mk1 GTI. Will it be the silver Mk1 on the VW heritage fleet I wonder?

Keep em peeled :thumbup:

2. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

I saw this yesterday, Someone posted the video on facebook.
    Cant find it to link here though...

3. mat-mk3

mat-mk3 Administrator Admin

Ah, Here you go!
    [YOUTUBE]_pIfOKnJzVY[/YOUTUBE]

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

1st story video:
    [YOUTUBE]1mRy8qjRIpU[/YOUTUBE]

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Cheers for digging it out.

Just been doing a bit of pausing on the vid. 1:03s, LHD wipers, water outlet take off between cylinders 1 & 2, and metal bumpers. 1:19 flag mirrors and early front calipers [:-B]

Meaning this EG snuck into sauf Laaardaaaarn under the radar, though I wonder if by chance it is dubboy76's!

6. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Awesome!

7. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

Nice one. Wish i could find a mk1 in that condition.

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The window to the left of the Mk1 bonnet, taken from the same direction in the last hour [8D]

[​IMG]

It's just a warehouse through a door inside the now-Farris candle shop, 100 York Road, Battersea SW11 3RD [:-B]

The vid was done in August :thumbup:

9. Claypole Forum Junkie

Terrible advert. :thumbd:

Probably looked good on the storyboards but the style just looks "trying too hard to be trendy".

10. danster Forum Addict

The advert seems to be aimed at kids or certainly childlike adults. There's not many kids got the 30k a GTI costs these days. :lol:

Modern crud anyway, did they edit out the sound of the TFSI or FSI whatever engine it has rattling itself to bits?

If VW made a Mk1 Golf GTI again they would sell more of them. The requirement to have a cup holder and various other sheit in a sports car is beyond me. [:s]

EDIT: Damn I hate modern cars even more now as I burnt the beans to the pan whilst writing this post. [:x]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2011
  11. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Ah, now if you'd had a modern cooking device, you could have turned the cooker down with your iDesignedObselescencePhone whilst sat at the computer! :lol: :lol:

12. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Oh, and regards it being a crap advert, VW could eschew the Mk1 Golf GTI entirely and say 'feck that ****', but they're prepared to put mint examples in their adverts and weave together the history.

Whether it's marketing bulpoop or a chance to look back 30 years at a design a few of us proudly still own today, I take my hat off to them. And I'd have a Mk6 too, though I'd be loathed to park it on the street in Londonshire and watch the talentless chancing eejits that purport to have driving licences wipe the paint off the bumpers.

13. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I used to live very close to the old prices candle factory, would've been pretty cool to watch this being filmed there

14. danster Forum Addict

Of course I hate everything modern and the idea that we need to replace and upgrade everything all the time.
    However it seems to me that the modern VWs (I presume like every other manufacturer's cars) are so loaded with gadgetry and complexity that as soon as the cars get older they will become so difficult and expensive to repair that they will be scrap.
    Mk4s are an example of this.
    The initial high cost of the new car with all the extras rapidly depreciates to the point where they are not worth saving. I can't see maybe 10 years down the line us all buying up Mk5s with knackered DSG boxes and computers to sort. The cost would be bonkers for a box rebuild compared to the 020 and 02A / J stuff now.
    The engines also seem to be throw away items that all seem to have faults.
    1.4 16v oil pressure issues, 1.8T oil pressure issues, PD cams, TFSI and FSI appear to have their own issues now.

But the old 8 and 16v engines are still going strong. :thumbup:

15. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All very well, but this is an advert! The king of off topic is OT!

16. danster Forum Addict

Pfft! Au Contraire.

It is an advert for a modern car. For balance I was just offering some realism for the potential consumers drawn in with their kiddie minds that may be thinking of buying such a vehicle.
    Back to the Future was fiction, however car repair bills and running costs are not. [:^:]

17. MK5 Steve

MK5 Steve Forum Member

Modern cars need modern safety features. If i was in a head on i would rarther be in my ED 30 with all the safety than an old MK1 gti with very little.Much as i would love to own a mint MK1 GTI.

18. fthaimike Forum Addict

I like the advert.....

19. danster Forum Addict

For sure, I agree with you on that particular scenario.
    But the question is why do we need more and more safety features?
    Regulations have come into force to improve crash protection. But it is the idiots behind the wheel that cause accidents. It is rare for a static car to be the cause of a horrendous accident.
    How often does anyone actually use the airbag, ABS, impact protection systems in their car? If they do it is more than likely because they or others were not driving in a conducive manor to the prevailing road conditions.
    So all this expensive tat they add onto the car to sell safety needs servicing and costs to repair when it goes wrong.
    I personally prefer the older, lighter, easier to maintain vehicles, and drive them in a defensive manor to eliminate the risk of being hit by someone in their fancy all gadgets equipped vehicle that thinks they are invincible.
    Darwinism in action if you will. :lol:

20. somafunk Forum Member

Danster : :clap:

A good advert but i'd rather have the original Golf.

Another fan here for old skool driving without such aids like EBD,Traction Control,ABS,Airbags, etc....

I've raced mtb's on & off for 20yrs+ and whilst a modern full suspension design is very plush/efficient it distances the rider and insulates you from the trail - we call such bikes "skill compensators" as any idiot can throw themselves down a hill or cross country with 6"+ of suspension travel - keep it real and learn how to read the trail with carbon rigid forks and a hardtail steel frame, preferably a singlespeed and the only concession to modernity is disc brakes.

The mtb equivalent of a Mk1/2 Golf Gti - Soulcraft custom made frame and carbon forks - simples!.

[​IMG]