Koni Adj Dampers

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by mark_vr6, Nov 12, 2003.

1. fionn Forum Member

I'm afraid you're wrong, yours are high adjustable. Those rings which you refer to allow you to change the height at which the bottom of the spring sits - hence height adjustable. Not as easy as with coilovers but I'd imagine that they could be adjusted on the car.

On a seperate query I'm just setting up my koni/eibach setup on my mk1 & I was wondering if the centre ring is the correct position when using the -35mm Eibach springs?
    The shocks came with the ring in the middle.

And to go totally off topic, why dont we lower using just the setting on shocks like this & keep a full lenght spring? I would have though that the longer travel of a full lenght spring would make for more comfort?

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

[/QUOTE]

I'm afraid you're wrong, yours are high adjustable. Those rings which you refer to allow you to change the height at which the bottom of the spring sits - hence height adjustable. Not as easy as with coilovers but I'd imagine that they could be adjusted on the car.

On a seperate query I'm just setting up my koni/eibach setup on my mk1 & I was wondering if the centre ring is the correct position when using the -35mm Eibach springs?
    The shocks came with the ring in the middle.

And to go totally off topic, why dont we lower using just the setting on shocks like this & keep a full lenght spring? I would have though that the longer travel of a full lenght spring would make for more comfort?
    [/QUOTE]

Christ!!! if your right then im gonna try it, i thought the height adjustable onescould be adjusted through the top like the white cap i have for the dampners & that's why they cost so much, or is this just because you can keep adjusting them without taking them off?

If so then thanx for that info :p:p;)

3. fionn Forum Member

Another Koni query, has anyone noticed that the bushes which Koni supplies to go inside the lower bump stop have an outside diameter that is a mm too small in diameter? (Mk1 Rear Shocks)
    My old ones dont fit the Konis since their inside diameter is too small, so I'm going to make up a new set tomorrow @ work to fit both. They will then be 42mm long, inside diameter of 12mm and outside diameter of 18mm.

Anyone else notice tihs

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

Hmmmm .........i was just thinking? am i getting the back ones confused with the front ones because if i remember they look totally different. or would the front also be height adjustable.

5. Greenmk1 Forum Member

Yeah they don't fit. I decided to cut some originals down to fit instead.

6. fionn Forum Member

You'd likely want to make sure that the ring is well seated in the new position when you do adjust it though. Remember that the rear of the car's whole weight is bearing down on it! Not sure about the correct method
    for doing it but I'd imagine its not something you'd want to be changing your mind about too often.

To the best of my knowledge its only coilovers that can be adjusted for height from the top.

7. fionn Forum Member

The fronts arent height adjustable, I havent done my fronts yet (finishing the rear of the car first) but I dont see any rings on the front shocks!
    And yes they are totally different. They have a much larger diameter piston on account of the majority of the weight of the car being over the front.

On cutting down the bushings, do you mean you drilled out the centre of the old one to 12mm from 11mm?
    I was going to do that but my old ones are pitted anyway so I said I might aswell make up a new set.

8. jc.. Forum Member

Fionn - you have just bought top adj koni rears from Venom?!??! The ones that require a little white plastic tap to adjust them from inside the car?
    What did you pay for them and when did you buy them?

If this was recently then I will kill Richard at Venom and post a picture of his still beating heart on this site.
    I was told only this morning that he had never ordered the on car t/a konis before and the only ones he had a part number for were the off car ajustable ones. He couldn't even tell me how much they were!!

Let me know will you

9. fionn Forum Member

mmm, Richard was always very helpful with me & was very professional when the courier lost my shocks en route.
    Alas yes he did sell me TA Konis!

10. jc.. Forum Member

I have the goods they finally turned up. I have to say Richard was helpful in teh end in that he didn't charge me any diffence in price and everything was collected at his cost.

Ready to go now. Finally get this thing on the road!!

11. fionn Forum Member

Have to say Richard was always top notch for service with me as well.