KR ecu differances??

Discussion in '16-valve' started by pigbladder, Jun 13, 2005.

1. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Just checked ETKA and the one ending with "B" is for KR engines 1986-89 and I can`t find the one with no letter on end at all ?????
    Anyone else have any further info on this.

2. flusted Forum Member

Its gotta be to do with pinkin.Ive fitted a vsam and i can map my ignition advance.When i bought it the chap gave me a number of maps i can use and most of them retard timing loads at 6k,making car feel like its hit a brick wall!!!.Ive managed to write and install a map that keeps pulling at 6k and feels so much better.

3. Mike_H Forum Addict

Most road cars run slightly lean at the top end, to get the best overall compromise, so it's not surprising if the timing needs to be retarded at high revs.

@ Pigbladder - Someone told me once you had to retard the timing setting on early valvers to get them to run on unleaded - are you sure they weren't originally meant to run 4-star?

I think all new cars in the UK had to run on unleaded from '88 or '89 onwards, so that would fit in with the change.

4. Lillpete Forum Member

I thought you couldn't set a valver to run on unleaded without one of those K-star thingys. The problem with unleadedis the lower octane, they need a higher octane than standard unleaded rather than needing the lead itself. I run mine on optimax to get round this(is this the case or am I wasting 5-6p per litre???)

5. DEX

Dex Paid Member Paid Member

i think the best ECU to use if from a 90 spec Oak Green 3 door on BBS - they would invariably be the best ones VW could fit.

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

If you have the warm up regulator mod done to increase fuelling, you could get away with running 95 octane in all weathers on a KR , IanB who has a 200bhp 16v running on k-jet runs his on 95 all the time, mine pinks on 95 in the hot summers days we sometimes have [xx(]

7. jaswan Forum Member

so are we agreed there is a difference between the late and erly ecu?

would this have an effect on a valver on carbs?.... namely my valver on carbs? [:D]

8. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Any valver - it only affects the ignition, not the fuelling. Though whether your vacuum signals would be "right" enough on carbs rather than k-jet for it to be beneficial is another subject..... [:s]

9. flusted Forum Member

10. DAVE 2227 Forum Junkie

Well after road testing my old ECU fitted I have to say that the difference is remakably unnoticeable :)

11. smithy Forum Member

12. GolfBryan Forum Member

:lol: