leon cupra

Discussion in 'Audi/SEAT/Skoda Chat' started by rocco2litre, Jul 23, 2009.

1. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

has anyone got, or driven a leon 1.8t cupra r?
    what is the suspension like, very hard or ok?
    also mpg, as i am thinking of getting one

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

mpg - at a guess: 32-34 combined and i'd imagine it's quite firm being the sportiest model

3. Supercharged Forum Member

Old shape? - Yep - ride is firm but comfortable - fairly comparable to the new Scirocco or MK6 GTI if you have driven either?

MPG - you'll struggle to get more than 28 on normal driving... I averaged 24.

Fast engine (the later 225's) and good brakes as standard (Brembos) but slightly let down by Seat build quality (not as good as VW) and aftercare (again not as good as VW or Audi)

4. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

Absoloute rubbish!

Whats the build quality issue? Why would aftercare be any other dealer/manufacturer be any different?

5. Dub_Dan Forum Member

i have an Ibiza cupra which has the same build quality as my mk3 golf gti it's as good as you would expect from vw especially with 108000 on the clock. only thing i would say is ride it quite firm compared with the golf don't know about the leon though. But deffo go test drive one.

6. rocco2litre

rocco2litre Forum Junkie

my ibiza i have ,the build of seats, trim is not as good as vw.
    also the 3 seat dealers near me , i would not trust to change a bulb...

7. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

Gotta say ive got a thing about them at the momment, well i always have.

I cant afford one at mo but am looking at getting a mk4 20vt, but wondering whether to save up and get one of these instead cause i know if i get another golf i wont stop spending on it so in the end the golf will probably cost me more. :lol: Cupras are nice as is.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

mmmmmmm

8. Supercharged Forum Member

Vento Mike - It's widely known that the service you get from Seat dealers is not usually as good as you'd expect from VW or Audi, arguments over warranty issues where VW would not even quection and inability for technicians to diagnose and fix faults...

Build quality - still very good but again (and like some of the lower end MK4 Golfs) they were not build to what I'd call 'wolfsburg' standards and there are a lot of issues with these cars and interior rattles and trim quality issues especially with seat cloth.

On the Cupra R in particular several people complained about the lacquer on the calipers coming away (Brembo quality issue) and also the Cupra badges don't seem to last long over here due to salt corrosion.

The other thing that comes up fairly regularly is engine pipe work and sensor connections failing - this may be due to more Seat owners going for remaps than other similar VAG cars though.

9. Vento Mike Forum Junkie

I must be lucky with my local dealer(s) (Congersbury certainly) they wipe the floor with the two local VW dealers and thats from personal experience.

As for the internal build quality as you know a lot of the interior parts are from an audi a3 who aren't really renowned for making poor cars (although i have had trouble with the climate display bleeding twice in mine...looks like a seat only part!) All the plugs sensors and pipes are all genuine VAG items surly?

My leather interior is only now after 165000 miles STARTING to look a bit tatty but i've never treated it.

I've owned the car from 80k and as far as I can see it's never had a clutch or flywheel, never had any suspension parts never shown any signs of rust apart from a non genuine bonnet that was fitted. I could go on....:lol: Don't get me wrong there are quite a few parts that I have had to replace!

I'm not just sticking up for them because I own one but beleive me if I could justify it i'd have an Audi on my driveway everyday of the week. I just know from personal experience that volkswagens i've owned and been in aren't any better!

Fingers crossed it doesn't go up in smoke tomorrow!:o

10. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Guys,

I have had a Cupra R (Actually it was Cliveyp's off here!!) sold that, had a Leon FR+ TDI and I have just sold that and on Saturday will be collecting my Leon Cupra R 2005 plate 23k miles again! I love them, they are SUCH GOOD CARS!

Mapped it just gives such a good smile on your face! Fantastic car! GET ONE!!!

Rich

11. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

Do they guzzle funky

12. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Hell yeah! Also stick in Super unleaded, 55 a tnk and will do about 280-300miles to that tank!

But hell they are such a good car!!!

13. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

like paris hilton!

14. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

So around 25mpg? Hmmm wont be telling the wife that :lol:

15. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

yup average 25mpg, wife could get 38mpg out of it easily, but she was driving majorily sensible!!!!

Crackin car, I can't wait to get my new one Saturday! Bang for buck you can't get better! and fit the family in and the dog! etc!

16. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

Oh my wife drives sensilbly too, so should be alright [:D]

17. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

HAhahahahah good escuse, what are you looking for? colour? year ? mileage? etc!

18. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

Well i was looking a mk4 1.8 20vt, im just looking at minute, cant stand our clio (her clio) like i said if i get a golf i know im gonna spend and spend on it whereas i would leave a leon, leons are more money, but in the end i would probably spent less buying one of them than buying golf and modyfying. Just have to wait longer to get a new car.

Also leon seems more sensible with wife n 2 kidy winks.

I like them in the grey but more likely black.

19. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Dude, if you get a Leon, you will end up spending money on them. I havn't even got the car yet and I have already bought 200 worth of stuff for it!!!

Definetly a great car. will post up pics after Saturday [:D]

20. VWSaxon

VWSaxon Forum Member

Id be happy with Leon as is cause they sooooo sexy lol