Lightening a Mk2 for track use

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Stu, Dec 3, 2007.

1. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Yes, it's comparable to my daily Mk2 now in acceleration. To be fair to the other Mk2, the red car was completely empty with just driver while the 2.0 car had a driver, passenger and a bootful of tools - but even so, I was suprised the red car would keep up as my daily Mk2 is pretty rapid!

Andrew - a good point, hadn't thought of that, might be worth bearing in mind although the car will be having 280mm front brakes, Mocal oil cooler and an ABF fitted, the rest could be kept standardish within regulations.

2. seanlazyass Forum Member

I ordered mine direct from Wiechers in Germany. The suppliers in England didn't really seem to know what they were talking about and couldn't give me a delivery time. They would have also worked out a bit more expensive.

It took them 2 weeks to manufacture (each cage is made to desired spec) and 2-3 weeks delivery, although should have only taken 1 week.

I paid 800 Euro's including delivery. They come finished in black.

A word of warning though, you can only pay them through a bank transfer which my bank charged me 26 for![:x]

I won't be fitting it until the new year but when I do I'll post some pics.

3. steve r

steve r Forum Member

4. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Care to name?

5. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

The little fuzzy haired fella at the shows, whatshisname.?

6. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

AAT ?

7. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

8. Byron Aldous New Member

Not advertising!! Just offering a little help here...

If it helps we can get Wiechers cages (Race and Road Ltd). for example a type E cage for the Golf II, in 45mm and 40mm with door bars, H section and a cross (rather than 1x diagonal) rear section, delivered and painted in black for around 599.00 inc vat and delivery.

The price is reduced if you take the cage unpainted, and or if you do not want the cross bar or H bar.

The Kit comes with all plates and bolts and is FIA approved. delivery is usually 3-6 weeks.

I have just got one of these for myself for my Corrado and the quality and fit is great.

Cheers
    Byron
    byron@raceandroad.com

9. seanlazyass Forum Member

Yes it was AAT. They weren't very confidence inspiring when asking questions, and they couldn't give me a delivery time.

The websites been updated now and they seem to have moved premises so maybe service has improved.

Wiechers in Germany where easy to deal with over the phone and through email, and I am more than happy with the quality of the product so far.

10. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Did a bit more on the track car last week - must take some pics and post them up.

We basically fixed a few things that weren't working, rear demister, noisy heater blower, aligned the gear linkages properly... and then took some more stuff out to reduce weight further :p

I was suprised how much sound deadening there was on the bulkhead once the centre console was removed so got rid of that. Also left the console out and re-located the cigarette lighter and window switches to the dash for now, will swap manual windows in soon to reduce weight a little more.

Also removed the door cards, might was well since we're taking everything else out... it's a noisy old boy now alright! Suprised to see the factory waterproofing membrane still intact on the passenger side door, might remove it.... looks like it weighs at least 5 grams :lol:

Those of you who've removed your door cards altogether like me - do you put back any waterproofing plastic sheet or anything on the doors or just leave them? If my previous Mk2's are anything to go by I'm expecting wet feet with no door liners!

11. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Here's a few progress pics. Spent some time at the weekend removing various bits left on the car, sound deadening, that horrible furry stuff on the inside of the roof, bits of the doors etc. There doesn't seem to be much left to remove... :p

Roof before:

[​IMG]

After (still more to do but it's a pain of a job):

[​IMG]

Doors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The back... 'minimalist' and lots of space for luggage / trips to the tip :lol:

[​IMG]

All good fun! [:D]

12. NLW73 Forum Member

er plastic windows? will take about 40kgs out if you change the 2 fronts and 2 rears. I know a good guy who can do this for around 150 all in. will put sliders on as well for you for cooling.

NW

13. pigbladder Forum Addict

dont them metal mats weigh a fair bit?

14. JROO-VW New Member

Just curious if you were going to put in a harness bar at the very least? Looking at the angle of the harness after it comes out of the seat back looks a bit extreme and could be dangerous in a crash.

I'm prepping a 16v over across the pond for a small series here... good luck with your mk2.

15. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Hi, yes - once I've sorted out and installed a cage the harnesses will be altered to a better setup, this will be done before any track use.

Got any pics of your car? I was in NYC on honeymoon just before Christmas, has the snow cleared yet?!? :p

16. JROO-VW New Member

Snow what snow... we haven't gotten much this year.

nothing impressive by racing standards since I'll only be time trialing it but it allows me to keep some pep under the hood without stripping it back for a stock class.

[​IMG]

cage is still waiting the front half to be installed so no pics yet... working on the last bit of details but have the handling sorted out using springs from a place called Shine Racing over here. the dampers are bilstein race version to match the springs a bit better then off the shelf units. a very large rear bar to get the rear around those corners easier...

the rest is still in progress.

17. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

old thread resurrection..

Just wondering, can the bracket where the rear seat would sit be removed ?

The bit where the fire extinguisher is bolted to in this pic ?
    [​IMG]

18. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Yes, took it out of my car, just spot welded in.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 8, 2009
  19. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

its not structural is it?

20. James_mk2 Forum Member

yep but it involves drilling out 30+ spot welds! Takes a while but the finished result looks good.