Lightening a Mk2 for track use

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by Stu, Dec 3, 2007.

1. RIP-MK3 Forum Addict

or if your skilled like me with an angle grinder :lol: five minutes and it'll be out

2. Nige

Nige Paid Member Paid Member

Thanks guys. That`ll be coming out over the winter then, along with misc brackets etc in the hope of saving some more weight..

3. skint_golfer

skint_golfer Forum Member

had mine out in about 15 min with an angle grinder. it would have only been 5 min but I was bending it forward with a bar and cuting the actual welds out rather than the frame. finish wasn't to bad doing it that way.

out of interest dose anyone know if the piece that go's between the transmition tunnel and sills that the seat adjusters clip on to is structural?

I want them gone to save weight and help with seat fitment but I cant make up my mind....

cheers

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  4. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I think this was discussed on here before with mixed opinions on removing them. I've taken them both out and welded the seat fitting kit from demon tweeks in.

I was happy replacing the tin section with 2 tubes and spreader plates. :thumbup:

5. MK1G20VT Forum Member

Agree with steve r. So long as you replace it with other seat bars you should be ok. I once saw a mk1 that had a side impact that had had these seat supports removed and not replaced with something else... it had folded up like a tin can!

6. Mike_H Forum Addict

I think if you've got a full cage it'll be fine, but even better with seat bars.

7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I reckoned on 10kgs out of a Mk1, with all the brackets. It's a fair bit of work for 10kgs, but no harm done. There's loads detailled in the first page or three of my thread.

8. STU

Stu Forum Junkie

Suprised to see this old thread popping back up! Are you having trouble keeping up with the old red EMAD Golf at the 'Ring Nige and want to lighten your car a bit to help...? :p

I was thinking of removing that part myself on the Mk2 but sold it before I had chance to lighten it further. Weight doesn't seem to be an issue in the Mk1 I have now, it's problem is more the brick shaped aerodynamics :lol:

9. steve G Forum Member

this helped me a great deal when i did mine :thumbup: still a big job though.