Looking to buy this Rallye

Discussion in 'Mk2' started by fire_golf, Oct 28, 2004.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I like it!!! (But not for 6000)

Its exactly how my planned 2wd Rallye VR6 (Which was mocked [:^(]) would have been. A build up from a stolen Recovered shell :thumbup:

2. fire_golf New Member

I have tried to fone Alan Fishburn on 0132538386 - but it just rings [:s]

3. Gogs67 New Member

Hi

Having just read this entire post, can I give you some advice regarding this vehicle?

As jc says above, HPI isn't totally infallible, they can only go on the information available to them.

If its been stolen and recovered even once, and an insurance company has been involved at some point, the car is likely to be on the VCAR register. This is a register of vehicles which have been stolen, written-off, re-shelled,etc.

However, even this is not infallible. If you look in the 'Salvage' pages of any Autotrader mag, you will see ads with cars listed as 'not recorded'. This means that these cars have been written-off, but are classed as 'repairable salvage' and have for some reason not been recorded on the VCAR. This is the same for stolen/recovered vehicles.

If this particular car has been on the VCAR register, then even though it has been re-shelled, it will still be registered; and as such, when you come to insure it, the insurance company will likely 'load' your premium to the max, if they insure it at all.

If you still feel compelled to buy this car, try and find out as much info as you can (local police may give you some info, DVLA records, your insurance company, etc) and get it checked out professionally before you part with any cash.

6000 does seem a bit expensive, though!!!

Sorry if I appear negative on this subject, but would hate to see you wasting your 'hard-earned'.

Kind regards

Gordon

4. kevinv Forum Member

Easy answer to all this...don't buy it.

5. red 8V Forum Member

get a nice 8v gti for 800 bucks :lol: solid...

6. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm sorry, but I really, really don't understand the comment regarding insurance companies, and how they are "likely to 'load' the premium". Is this based upon previous experience?

My 16V MK2 is on the VCAR register. I have insured this car with two different insurance companies so far (firstly Direct Line, and now HIC). Neither company requested information regarding whether the vehicle was recorded on VCAR. I even phoned Direct Line minutes before paying for the car, to ask them specifically if the VCAR status would make any difference to the premium. Absolutely none whatsoever, was the reply.

If anyone here has experienced an insurance company try to charge them more for insuring a VCAR registered vehicle, then fair enough - maybe one or two insurance companies are like that. But I have never, ever been asked for information relating to the car's history when obtaining an insurance quote. All my quotes have been exclusively based upon the book catagory rating to the vehicle, plus modifications. I have never been asked about the history of the car, and I make the assumption that the insurance company isn't going to sneakily do a vehicle HPI check behind your back (but correct me if I am wrong).

Why would they want more money to insure such a vehicle anyway? It was once stolen or damaged, but it has now been repaired and it is fit for the road again.

My experience has shown me that owning a VCAR registered car makes absolutely NO difference to anything whatsoever, end of. Of course, you should only buy a VCAR registered vehicle if you really know what you're doing and can spot botched repairs, etc. Unfortunately, I wasn't so wise when I bought my 16V: it had some stuff that cost me money to get sorted out. But it is a really good car now.
    Edited by: Trev16v

7. MrBen Forum Junkie

Bear in mind, though, that if a car has previously been written off, then Insurers will pay out much less should it be written off again.

8. Trev16v

MrBen, I am not doubting what you have said, but how have you found this to be true?

If it is your own insurance company who are to make the insurance payout to you in the event of a write-off, then surely an agreed evaluation will help you here (as you can do with HIC, etc). And, it is my understanding that the payout will be based upon the agreed evaluation and / or the book value of the car, and modifications. My insurance company don't care about my car being on VCAR. They just didn't want to know, and neither did Direct Line. I've never had any indication from any insurance company that the VCAR status could potentially affect any insurance payout.

If a third party insurance company is making the payout, then will they do a HPI check and then offer you a lower figure if it's found to be on VCAR? When someone drove into the back of my first Golf and wrote it off, the inspector agreed a price with me literally on the spot, based upon a figure that he obtained from a car price guide he had with him.

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

It would be reasonable of the insurance company to offer less if the car was on the register though, in a similar way that a buyer would pay less for the car if they found it to be on the register IMO. :)

10. Coxylaad New Member

Hi,
    I looked at buying this car from Alan when he first put it up for sale.

I knew of its history but it didnt put me off.

The only reason I didnt buy the car was because it was too expensive, and the gf convinced me to buy a corrado vr6 (which incidentally got stolen 4 weeks later [:s] )

I think he ended up selling it for less than 6 grand mind....

11. Gogs67 New Member

To answer Trev16v's questions:

All insurance companies are different in their attitudes towards vehicles on the VCAR register. However, be in no doubt that they will be aware of this fact, but they are under no obligation to tell you this.

It is only in the event of a claim that these things can come back to haunt you when the more strict insurance companies start scrutinising every aspect of both the claim and the policy holder. If they deem that something is not correct, then they are likely not to pay out.

Also, every insurance company can charge just about whatever they choose for premiums. Some charge extortionate amounts for things like modifications, others will charge extra for young drivers, others will charge extra for ex-banned drivers, etc. Most, but not all, companies I have dealt with do load premiums for vehicles on the VCAR, some heavily and others not so severe.

Personally, if I found out that a vehicle had been stolen/recovered even once, I would walk away from it immediately. There are always loads of other cars on the market which have no suspect history.

Rgards

Gordon

12. Trev16v

I phoned both Direct Line and HIC today to ask them directly about this. I was rather surprised to find that Direct Line appear to have changed their policy since a couple of years ago: They now require an 'engineer's report' for a VCAR registered vehicle, and their claims department confirmed the fact that in the event of a payout, half the market value would be paid.

HIC are going to get back to me tomorrow when their agreed valuations chap is back from holiday. It sounds like if I have an agreed evaluation with HIC, and the value is agreed with them knowing about the VCAR status, then I am safe in the knowledge that they will give me that amount in the event of a payout from HIC (Highway). However, I don't know how much the agreed valuation will help if it is a third party making the payout. I also suspect that HIC aren't going to want to agree market value with me in the first place - but I shall find out tomorrow.

I take back what I said as I clearly wasn't aware of the full facts in this.

Sadly it looks like there is no point in investing another penny in my car.
    Edited by: Trev16v

13. Davs Forum Member

that rallye hasn't even got smoked back lights!!

its seems to have been built back on a budget, especially with the interior. I wouldn't pay 3.5k for that, let alone 6.