lots of little things, please help!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by mixidub, Dec 27, 2006.

1. mixidub Forum Member

a nice (GIRLY TERMS) list of things on my car i need to sort so i can sell the thing....

1. i have a little water feature in the n/s rear footwell - so far i've had a look behind the doorcards n the plastic sheet thing is fine so any more suggestions? what are gromets? and where are the sunroof drainage pipe things?

2. due to above leak i had lots of condensation so had to sit waiting for my hot blowers to clear every window before i could drive anywhere, now my hot blowers have stopped working. i've changed the fuse but it burnt out as soon as id changed it and tried them again...??

3. my bonnet release mech is ****ed and i have no idea how to fix or change it...

4. it always idles at about 2k when i start it and then eventually settles down to normal once the car has warmed up. also its a webber carb so hates the cold and will quite happily just die on a busy roundabout so i have to sit waiting for 10 mins til it'll start and stay going again [:x] combination of a **** carb and no hot air feed i've been told

5. the driver's door handle is a pain in the **** to open so i have to stand there trying it for ages before it'll open - people probs think i'm breaking into the car!

6. i seem to be losing water constantly but there's no obvious leak

this is my first car and i've only had it on the road for 3 months next week. my mum's telling me to just get rid of it but i know the many problems are just little things that could be sorted wth the right knowledge etc and i really love driving so cant just have no car. i've learnt quite a bit about golfs from jolfa so not completely deaf dumb and blind but i'd appreciate any help you can offer, in slightly girly terms [:$]

thanks [8(]

2. thegolfman Forum Member

Could possibly be the heater matrix, If your losing water.
    Is there any water in the front passenger footwell as well?

3. garfayliu Forum Member

hi mixidub,

i think your problems 1, 2 and 6 are linked. Due to a broken/cracked heater matrix, which is behind the centre console of the dash and is a pain to replace, as it requires the removal of the dash. basically if broke, it'll leak into the footwell, thus causing excess moisture in cabin. also loss of heating. try a search on here for heater matrix, also bypass valves for more info on DIY fixes.

i think probs 3 and 5 are pretty easy fixes, but I dont have any experience with them on the mk2.

prob 4 I don;t know anything about carbs.

4. mixidub Forum Member

exactly what i didnt want to hear :( do you think it's possible to tidy it up and sell it without mentioning the heater matrix?

5. thegolfman Forum Member

You'd have to tell them really. No way you could get a mate to do it for you??

6. mixidub Forum Member

only person i know who's good with cars is jolfa.....sounds like quite a big job i doubt he'd be up for it really [8(] what does the job involve? obv if i got that fixed then i'd keep the car so i think it's worth doing but i dont want to keep throwing money at the car. its just had so many problems i haven't gotta clue if its worth doing or not.

just had a new clutch n mot til oct 07 big bumpers suspension wheels etc so dont wanna just scrap it...

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

5. Remove the handle, and smear tons of grease over all the moving parts & refit :)

8. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

1. i would have thought door membrane, are you sure all the edges were stuck down very well? no even peep of a gap?

2. ive told you at least 100 times now to top up your water and your hot blowers will cme back, if not, it could just haean air lock in the waterwhich is a 10minute fix

3. you need a stronger sprng, ill give you one

4.the problem is its NOT a weber carb its a sh*tty pierberg one, could really just dismantle it and clean it or get a weber, about 10-20, an a hot air feed is 3 from halfords which could help alot

5. you can have the old handle off my car and ill put your lock in it

6. not too sure, could still have a leak i didnt spot

on a side note, i wont be changing your matrix for you if it is that :lol:
    drive it over one day and ill sort it... just stop making cr*p excues not to drive it!!!!!

9. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

you'd have to throw about 3 at it to make it useable (to your stadards) again:lol: [8(]

10. rubjonny

4. Ah, if its a 2e2 carb then over-reving is either caused by a swolen coolant channel o'ring in the inlet manifold, which stops the autochoke & waxstat working properly, or a slow/sticky 3/4 point unit. This is controlled by the electrical gubbins onm the rear of the car, check they both click with the ign on.
    Watch the plunger on the 3/4 point unit, it should be fully extended with the engine off, then once running it should retract after a few seconds. If not its stuck, or the vacuum to it is not pulling it shut, either due to split vac lines or the 2 electrical valves on the rear of the carb. There is a 2e2 FAQ I put together which lists all the components of the 2e2, and what happens when they arn't working.

2e2 carbs are NOT sh*te, they are brilliant pieces of kit when they have been repaired PROPERLY, not bodged up by some muppet mechanic. My car ran like an absolute dream once I'd fixed all the problems, always started on the button, revs stayed rock steady at 900, and MPG was absolutly astronomical, I used to get near 250miles to 20 of petrol :)

I'd put money on the o'ring in the inlet has swolen shut, it was like this on mine and gave exactly the problems you describe :thumbup:

Jolfa, go fix it ;)

Last edited: Dec 27, 2006
  11. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

ive been saying ill fix it for months...

12. TurbTech Forum Junkie

What a kind and thoughtful friend you are!

:lol:

13. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

I know i know;) :lol:

14. mixidub Forum Member

there's hot air coming from what i assume is the hot blowers for your feet/legs?? but my blowers dont work :S m i going to explode?! [:s]

15. mixidub Forum Member

I've been saying ok thankyou come and fix it for months......it's still broke!!! :p

16. rubjonny

sounds like one of the cogs has fallen off the bottom of your airbox, so you can't move the heater flow flaps.

17. mixidub Forum Member

and that is rectified how? [:$]

18. rubjonny

put the heater slider to the floor setting, refit the gear thats popped off, then fiddle arround with it till its properly aligned :)

19. Jolfa

Jolfa Forum Junkie

the fuse has blown for the blowers.. you know that, you still get hot air, just not blown at you...

20. mixidub Forum Member

the fuse blew, so i changed it and it blew again....i dont get anything from the blowers ata ll....just a little bit of heat near my feet....