Lowering cars - the end

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by A.N. Other, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Admin Guest

it was all done as part of the lowering, on the big wheels and to keep some strength in the chassis. it holds the turrets in there too. some how, don't know how as its so smooth.

even the tank got narrowed!

Tubbing will never really come into the watercooled scene, what would it give?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2009
  2. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

Why? That seems like saying you would be generally worried about millions of young kids who want to play for Man United when they are older.

(Man United are a football team by the way)

3. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

Probably because someone will do something dangerous and end up killing themself.

4. madmonkey Forum Addict

Hurt someone else more like, f*ck 'em if they hurt themselves doing something stupid.

Evolution. It's coming to get you people. :)

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Not worried in a sense of danger (good point though), but just because those could be the newly defined standards you will have to go to, in order to compete on the show scene.

Jon posted ^^ that it's unlikely to affect watercooled - if so, great. Fingers crossed the extreme show queens don't go that road.

6. James_mk2 Forum Member

You may want to avoid looking at pictures from the Players show or the thread about a certain mk3 golf which has had the Type-2-Detectives treatment in that case chris!

edit- here it is: http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=199713

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I've heard about this one - just hope it's a one-off.

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

I was of the understanding that a monocoque was where the engine was a load baring stressed member of the chassis?! [:s]

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

10. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Nothing to do with the engine... ;)

Older cars (talking American stuff specfically) have the body seperate to the chassis. The body isn`t `structural` as such.

In a `monocoque` construction, the body is structural, as it and the chassis are one piece.

In the context of body-dropping, as I mentioned previously, this is usually done on seprate chassis vehicles, because it`s `simply` a case of mounting the body lower relative to the chassis.

Obviously the same technique can`t as easily be employed on a monocoque car.

11. AndrewF Forum Addict

Ah, thankyou for clarifying that for me.

Whats the proper name for a car where the engine is a load bearing part of chassis then (i.e. f1 car or ferrari f50), or is there not a name?

12. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Pioneered by Colin Chapman and Lotus way back when IIRC, but I`ve never heard a specific name for it.

13. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

I don't recall, though I think it's a Lotus thing.

14. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

15. benthejettaman Forum Member

why is everyone slating lowering or tubbing so much, its been happening in the vw scene since the 70s for drag racing, and in that era there was far less skilled people out there then.
    also why dont users on here respect that the vw scence just isnt about oem look or being built for track use.
    if people want to customise there vw and trying new things then appreciate the work thats gone into it, even if it may seem like it has no practicality or function
    yes i admit cars these days on the show seen are turning more into trailer queens but i still admire some of the craftmanship thats gone into these cars

16. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's fairly new to watercooled, that's why. It's not to late to shun it, and deter it, for the sake of everyone's wallets.

17. GRINGOG60 Forum Member

What?

Who cares what other people do to their cars! If they want to attach 8 wheels, a jet engine and paint it bright pink who gives a toss. You take this way too seriously. At the end of the day its just farting about in your garage with an old car in your spare time. I hope most people have more of a life than just the ancient old hatchback thats sitting on their drive.

18. benthejettaman Forum Member

why deter it?
    the vw scene is finally entering the true custom genre. this is something us europeans have been behind on for a long while.

19. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

You should see how bad that mk3 with the beetle running gear is in the flesh though, they would have been better off with two bits of string tied to the front wheels for steering like kiddies home made go karts than what they had, in fact you'd probably be safer going down the road in one of those go karts. I'm all up for trying something different and I like the concept they were going for but seriously, I hope for everyones safety that it never gets used.

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Have you been to Edition38 recently? I assume not.

For the simple reason that if they don't, certain people, naming no names, will continue to spend literally '000s to place themselves level with the limited competition who will remain interested in doing it.

The rest can just go home, dejected, and forget all about the dreams of success they once had.