Lowering cars - the end

Discussion in 'Volkswagen Chat' started by A.N. Other, Sep 9, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Mate, your car drags its **** on the ground. Repeatedly. That, in case you don't know, is a Construction and Use regs offence in the extreme. For a reason. It does actually need air-ride, or raising, to be safe.

My two penneth (my opinion, not CGTI's) is a watercooled car belongs in a watercooled scene. Historically they've been very separate. I don't personally feel the scene is going to benefit by moving the target around with hybrids, undoubtledly interesting though they are.

Re: 'fur q', less of the mindless insults please.

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Chris, I`m pretty sure (from the video) that it`s just the front splitter that`s scraping, rather than any of the underside/mechanicals... ;)

Perhaps the builder (Matt) can confirm/clarify?

3. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

I never called your car ****, my point is that if you were driving along a country road (like on the video on here) and I was coming the other way and for whatever reason you had to stop suddenly or change direction quickly I wouldn't trust it, after what I saw had been done to your car, that it could safely handle this simple task. If the car was a object to wheel off a trailer at shows then fine 'cause I think it looks brilliant, but as a qualified mechanic and qualified welder and looking at it from that point of view I wouldn't want to meet you coming the other way

Last edited: Sep 28, 2009
  4. benthejettaman Forum Member

is this thread still going,
    why is everyone being so narrow minded about other peoples personal tastes?
    just except it that not everyone builds there cars to be driven hard!
    and chris your statement about air and watercooled scene are 2 differnt things and should be kept apart should be deleted, as lots of people in either scene appreciated the other or have swapped from 1 to the other. i for example started of with the air cooled scence but yet now i still drive a water cooled and many of my friends have done too

5. matt balls New Member

this might be a bit long..
    I was a tester, and am a fully qulified machanic for the past15 years and trained on vws for the 3 years preveuse i was training and when i was a kid i was bulding cars with my dad, i think i know what is dangerous and what isn't. all the suspension load bearing points havent been weaknd. the chassis from the type3 holds all suspesion parts and brake parts same as a bug, when you unbolt the body you are left with a rolling pan, i then cut the floor pan sections off, cut all the tunnel boot floor and front off the golf, placing the body over the rolling pan getting the back wheels in the correct place. once the back was in line i then tacked in position. i the needed to bring the font forward to position the wheels correctly in the arch which is done by removeing the type3 frame head and replcacing with a bug whitchhas been cut to leave the bottom of the tunnel and loose the top so it can be welded twice as strong as if i was to do straight cut which most poeple do when they replace a frame head.. before i started to run proper welds i mesured everthing and strung it all to makesure was in line. there is still a lot to be done on this car as at 12.00pm the night before players there wasnt any steering onit. by 3.30 that morning i was driving it round our yard loading it on the trailer ready to leave at 6.30am i think that i only spent about a full 10 days on the car it was only done because we had been invited to bring a few cars to players. the car will be safe, maybe not as crash resistance as a mk3 but the brakes work well and the steering has no free play all ball joint are new plus i have 2 kids a wife and when i have finished it they will be in it with me. I'm sorry this has turned into an esay but people need to know i dont do s##t

6. matt balls New Member

it is just the bootom of the bumper as you said, when you body drop a vehicle the suspension, beam and floor pan are a lot higher, so whem the bottom has worn away i will go to the same scrap yard i got the car from and get another;)

7. Dan W

Dan W CGTI Regional Host

All sounds like a lot of work, the next time I'm at a show and I see your car I'll make sure to try and find you and have a proper look around it, a chat and tour of the car. Don't want you to think I'm hiding behind my keyboard lol! Who knows, maybe I'll get some tips and I'll build a 911/golf hybrid to rival your beetle/golf one!
    Catch you later sometime possibly, Dan
    Edit: still think it's bloody nuts though!

8. shaz8389

shaz8389 Forum Junkie

I get the feeling this thread is going to go the way of that "rusty_mk2" guy.

9. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Good point and I'm visualising how this might be now :thumbup:

So it's a visual trick really, with the floorpan sitting higher up?

10. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

It's my opinion. If it's not with apparent good reason, might I ask why Volkswagen Club GB has a very separate contingent of members, car types, and historic presence/lack of on the GTI concours/show and shine scene for the past 20 years?

Contact the other moderators if you feel it should be deleted :lol:

11. Matt G Forum Member

My two penneth.

If its your car, do what you like to it. its not for me to approve your taste.

I personally dont get the point of show cars. Cars are meant to be driven, so why do people build them to be carried around on a trailor? i dont get it.

keeping cars clean is not my idea of fun. driving them is, so im in the "go cars" camp on this.

12. micky1 Forum Member

Good point well made. Cut my teeth with aircooled. Built my girlfriend a BAJA bug @ 17. I like the idea of mixing it up.

I love fabricating and welding....if you can do it....DO IT!

13. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

That would appear to be the case.

As with the `body-dropped` American trucks I posted previously, it`s only the outer extremities of the body (bumpers and sills) that are that close to the ground.

The mechanicals, could in theory, still be at standard height, though in reality, they will be lowered too, (less fab required for the body drop) though within normal `limits`.