Max Revs 16V??

Discussion in '16-valve' started by MannyA, Oct 27, 2005.

1. chrismc Forum Junkie

In which case if you are interested in going faster & doing mods in the event of a failure why worry about killing the original motor??

Whilst maximum BHP "might" be around 6500, holding on to those extra revs can pay dividends in some situations, & you will struggle not to exceed 6500 once you get out there IMO.

As has been mentioned before, the KR needs revving hard to keep it nicely on cam anyway, & whilst peak is somewhere below the limiter, they dont hit a brick wall, & those extra revs drop it in further up the rev range when you change up.. ;)

Im sure other KR owners will agree with this too..

2. rradogolfman Forum Member

Macca loves the revs,, ;)
    Mr Bartlett is another keen valver revver,, ;)
    the valvers love the revs,, :)

3. MannyA Forum Member

This is the first 16v ive had, from what everyone is saying these engines seem to be OK at high revs. I just wanted to get a feel for how much abuse they can take.

engine feels strong, but I dont know its history , all ive done is service it and change the belts. Will see what it feels like on the track.

Im not going to change gear at 6500 if im only 100m from the breaking point, may as well hold on to the revs, ditto through fast corners.

4. chrismc Forum Junkie

Think youll be surprised at how well they can stand abuse.. [:D]

5. MannyA Forum Member

Its quite something that after spending a fortune messing around with all sorts of "performance" carsI have had to come back to a 15 year old car to get the sort of handling I want in a car that isnt going to blow up everytime it goes near a track.

Still dreaming of a 911 tho......

6. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

Every valver i had was taken to the red line more often than not, never had one fail :)

I do keep the oil fresh tho

Valvers can take allot of abuse even at high miles
    Proof: This summer i went to bosnia in my corrado with over 150k miles on the clock

2 mnths, 6k miles and many many red lines later rado still going strong if not better :)

Has had kr cams fitted and couple of services tho ;)

7. 16valver Forum Member

If it feels like its still pulling and there is power there, keep on it. My old KR came from a 400 scrapper and I was pretty hard on it, redline at least once every time I drove it and itloved it. Totally stock motor with 116,000 miles, and it still made 159bhp at the fly.

Current KR is set to 8200 rpm and itfeels like there is power rightall the wayuntilljust before the limiter.

8. Phil. Forum Junkie

Exactly, the only case for holding it in the high revs is if you are mid corner or approaching the end of a straight where if you engage the next cog is only gonna slow your braking down.

And why people actually bounce their car off the limiter is a mistery to me as you stop accelerating, fuel cuts off temporarily and the person your dragging with sails past. Click it up a cog and keep accelerating.

9. chrismc Forum Junkie

Now this on the other hand could well be asking for bother [:$]

Uprated Rod Bolts are essential & it will be right on/past the limit of what a hyd. head can take at that extreme....

Will need a flowed head & silly cams to rev to that level too...surely not a standard(ish) KR? [:s]

10. dubsta72000 New Member

I've just done the donny track day running my old trusty audi with a 6a in standard trim and there wasn't much more power to be had after 6500 but the old panzer wagon did surprise a few peep's and I kicked the bottom out of the old gal and she still runs sweet as they can take a fair amount of abuse but you must keep good clean oil in them or it will go bang sooner or later.

11. ianb Forum Member

At least with an IHI the MKIV 1.8T will rev well into 7000................with those special valves ;)

Can't wait :lol:

Ian

12. Dub Nutta Forum Member

Whats the common opinion about max revs for standard 16v rods with uprated bolts?

I know the 2l's and some later KR's come with the riffel drilled rods and some jsut have the plain I section rods same as in an 8v, any Ideas what will be stronger. I would think the riffel drilled ones as they have a larger xsectional area.

13. MK2_GUY Forum Member

blast from the past! :lol:

My mates got a rado 1.8 16v and struggles to make his car actuallu perform, for instance a vauxhall vectra 1.8 16v kept up with and pulled away in certain gears, we were both quite suprised and dissapointed! were taking the car to about 6500 revs, but it feels very slugish in the bottom end 1k - 3k rpm, is this the way the 16v engine works? she could do with a service and a tune up, but surely he should be able to beat a vectra? just thought id ask, whats this ive heard about turning the cam the other way to increase low down torque? is this possible ? if so is there any post or people who can help with this modification?

Dave;)

14. davidwort Forum Member

:) 1.8KR in the corrado is just like that I'm afraid, the injection system isn't as good as the Vauxhalls and they are pretty torquey mid-range by comparison, the only thing worse than a Corrado with the 1.8 16v is the Passat estate with the same engine[:D]

the KR should rev happily to 7200, but on an old block it's probably past it's best condition and power. Best bet is a 2L bottom end and/or a gas flowed head, 160bhp plus makes the valver much more fun, you'll still need to rev it though it's just the characteristic of this age of VW 16v engine(head).

David.

15. prof Forum Addict

probably needs setting up proberly-can lose 20bhp with a badly set up car

16. Kozy Forum Member

I'd have to agree with the hanging on to the revs past 6500. I hold on too about 7100 then change, brings the next gear in right at the power band. Changing at 6500 brings you in just before where the 16v really starts to shine and results in sluggish performance. I only nailed this last night on a twisty local road, had to keep the revs up in gear because I was pulling a particularly tricky overtaking mavouver using the inside line of a tight right hander and couldn't take my hands off to change gear. But when I changed the thing shot forward like a rocket, much faster than I could normally get it to go due to changing up too early. Well impressed though, I thought it was a quick car anyway, but now I know it can go alot quicker when you hook it up right! [:D]

17. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

That's because sub 3k is for traffic jams and OAP's. My mum knows better than to drive like that :p :lol: ;)

Hell, some proper engines don't even idle at 3k :lol:

18. dubst16v Forum Member

out of all the cars i have driven i would say my valver is the most interesting to drive because of the results you can get from being very precise about gear changes.

been caught out a few times and beaten by some really pants cars though lol :(

19. The db

The db Forum Junkie

Take my valver up to about 7100rpm when im making it count, and it loves it. On my old valver you used to really feel and hear the power stop after 6500 but this one just keeps pulling and roaring. I'd love to get involved in some track days, but a couple a years worth of tweeking to be done first I think.