Mazda RX8 or VW R32??

Discussion in 'Mk4' started by sony, Jun 15, 2005.

1. sony Forum Member

My girlfriend's dad has narrowed his search down to a Mazda Rx8 or an R32. Of course myself being a VW enthusiast, especially my love for VW golfs I'm trying to convince him to get the R32 but he's not convinced at all!

Basically he says the R32 hasn't got rear wheel drive whereas the Rx8 has. He says the R32 is overpriced considering what it has to offer. To be fair I get his point, but I just wouldn't be happy with him getting the Rx8!!
    How can I convince the bugger to get the R32??????!:lol:

2. diggerbucket Forum Member

I wouldn't bother, the RX-8 is a great car :thumbup:

3. Rob.gti Forum Member

RX8 suffer from reliability issues, especially oil consumption. And economy is dreadful too!

Plus how can you brag about an RX8 1.3ltr w***le engine down the pub?!?!?! :lol:

4. green with envy Forum Member

Yes.

The boss had one of these.

3,000 miles & 2 engines later sent it back to Mazda

5. Andy665 Forum Member

Economy is not great on the RX-8 but I don't think its any less reliable than any other car - there will always be the odd problem car.

I would still have the R32, looks awesome, sounds great, superb build quality and residuals are solid - although will be impacted when the new R32 hits the dealers in October

6. Nickolarse Forum Member

The company that I work for has the contract to provide replacement vehicles for when Mazda's breakdown. The last 95% of these deals that I have done have been for RX-8 owners. Maybe the first batch of vehicles has a few new model teething problems????

7. TDB86 Forum Member

Those engine are sh*t. Unreliable, expensive on parts.

Go for the r32 and put ummmm

4 turbos on it.:lol:

8. 91davidw Forum Member

We have both Ford & Mazda dealerships on site !!!

RX8's are great cars but have to consider the chance of the engine destroying itself (happens fairly regular to them), oil consumption 1 litre every 500 miles & crap fuel economy !!!!! Also no-one in the workshop can tell me when the rotor tips will need replacing 1000 miles 50,000 miles who knows ??? [:s]
    Most customers have returned or traded in their RX8's before 1yr of ownership, says it all really !!! :lol:

Best getting the R32 i'd say [:D]

Cheers
    David

9. Rob.gti Forum Member

Just to add insult to injury, the Mazda RX8 came bottom of 121 cars in the "Cost of ownership" survey run by AutoExpress :p

10. sony Forum Member

It's hard to convince him. He seems to think that if you takr care of it and stick to what Mazda recommends you to do, there will be no problems with it.[:x]

I'll talk to him about the oil consumption, could anyone list consumption , bad/good points of each car etc.. I'll then print it off and see what he thinks!

11. Imran Forum Member

This man talks sense!!!! :clap: :lol:

12. Monzadave Forum Member

I don't get it, the R32 has 4 wheel drive, surly thats better then rear wheel drive? [:s]

13. jjarvis Forum Junkie

I'd be tempted by the Mazda tbh

But I'd have to give it some serious thought.

14. coolasacucumber Forum Member

i presume he knows there is only 4 seats in the mazda?

if it was straight choice i would probably go for the r32, but it would be close as i like the rx's a lot

15. VR666M Forum Member

You have to rev the nuts off the RX8 to get anything out of it, increasing engine wear.

16. Gibbothebrit Forum Member

My brother and my girlfriends sister both have RX8's, am not too impressed TBH, sitting in the back is a horrible experienced, way too enclosed and you can't see a thing. also they do seem to be short of a few of the modern extra's that a lot of cars have as standard now, like trip computer etc, but maybe that depends on the model. my brother enjoys driving it (not that he can drive as he bought it cos he'd driven his 1.6 206 into a stationary crane [:s] :lol: ) but he hates the milage and oil consumption, gets 20mpg on average I think, no more than 25.

17. mk1 ben Forum Member

our dads got a rx8 top of the range we hammer it to bits but u get a 3 year warrenty so after that you just trade it in when the engines goes

plus he done 2500 in it now and only needed about 1/2 pint of oil upto now so it aint bad

best ive had is 18 mpg like so think about running costs

18. green with envy Forum Member

I think the best thing in this situation is to let him buy the RX8, no point in arguing the toss on which car etc.

and when things screw up you can say "told you so"....

19. DarrenW Forum Junkie

Difficult choice, but I love the geek factor of the Rotary Engine [:D]

20. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

So do I, just wish they had engineered it so the rotor tips could be replaced easily as a service part......