MegaSquirt vs SNS Digi1

Discussion in 'Throttle bodies & non-OEM ECUs' started by KeithMac, Jun 15, 2005.

1. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Hello all, I`m at a bit of a turning point with the 16v G60. Talking to Bilal at SNS and he can burn me a chip for the engine using my data-logs at a very reasonable price, or for a little more I can get hold of a Megasquirt kit and have a go myself.

Just weighing up the pros and cons of both (I have a spare digi1 ecu which is a big pro!) what do you lot recon?

Also can Megasquirt run water injection (map a High Speed Solenoid Valve?).

Cheers [:D]

2. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

How many attempts do you think it's going to take before you're happy with the map? From what i've heard he can get it pretty good first go, but are you going to want to tinker afterwards? MS will involve a lot of tinkering, trust me ;)

MS will happily do water injection. You can either use the second injector bank or do it this way

Look up OttawaG60 on the vortex, he's been running his 16vG60 on MS for a while now I think.

3. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Can you send PM`s on vortex or just IM`s?

That diagram looks great, just what I was after, maybe looking to swap injectors ect later on so being ble to alter my own maps would be good!

4. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Keith,

My Megasquirt stuff has just arrived (well, in fact I have to collect it from the sorting office tomorrow). The kits really are just so stupidly cheap from the US that it's rude not to.

Trev

5. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Did you go for that $140 jobbie Trev? How long did you have to wait for it (thinking approx 6 weeks..)

Whats the score with MS2, is it just an upgraded chip?

6. Trev16v

I only ordered it about ten days ago! I got the full kits for the Megasquirt unit (including enclosure), stimulator unit and relay unit from DIYAutoTune.com. They have everything in stock and ship out immediately. Ah - I just looked - I paid on 7th of June with PayPal, and the whole lot was $281. I haven't got them here yet but a note popped through the door saying that I need to collect a packet and pay the customs charge for it, and the Megaquirt is the only thing it could be [:D]

7. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Your making me jealous now :lol:

It`s f**king tempting...

8. Trev16v

Order one, you smeg head [:D]

9. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Can the MS box drive low impedence injectors direcly or do I need that relay board thingy?

Also I can buy a ready built kit (in stock in the UK) for 200, since I`m not the most delicate of people this may be a better option for me (and I cold have it on Monday [:$] ) Or should I wait and save some money..

10. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

Apparently Glen's Garage don't have a huge lead time any more, that's where I got my kit from and he's also who a lot of the other resellers buy them off in the first place. Dead cheap for what you get, and so well organised that any eedjit could put it together :lol: Personally I'd go for the kit, it's not difficult to build and the familiarity (and satisfaction) building it yourself gives you is very useful. If you're worried about your soldering skills get one of those little DIY soldering projects from maplins to practice on first.

MS can drive low impedance injectors, although it's standard flyback protection isn't too hot. If you spread them across both injector banks it should be fine, this is how i'm running and i've not blown it up so far (touch wood). If you needed the second injector bank for something else then you'd have to use the add-on flyback board, 4 low impedance injectors on one bank is too much for it to deal with.

[​IMG]
    Go on, go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on go on :lol:

11. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Cheers, may split the 4 injectors over 2 banks like you say, you have a basic map running on yours don`t you martyn, may have a search and dig it out since you kindly provided it [:D]

Using it for fuel only to start with, then maybe run full ignition control when I`ve got the hang of it. How do you think digi1 will handle it`self ith no fuel injection contol?

I`ve ordered the pre-built one, should have it by Monday. May buy a kit later on in the year and build it up, always handy to carry a spare!

How have you set the injectors to fire, all at once or semi-seqential (can ms do semi-sequential firing?).

I can see my engine melting :lol:

12. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

You're welcome to use it, but I don't know just how useful it'll be to you considering it stops at 100kpa. I suppose you could chop and change it for use as a starting point for the off-boost areas of yours.

MS only does batch injection. It can alternate firing the two banks one after the other, but they're not synchronised to crank position, just whatever ignition event happens first on startup. I'm running mine with injectors 1 and 4 on one bank, and 2 and 3 on the other. They're set to fire 2 squirts alternating, meaning each bank fires once every 720deg of crank revolution.

Not sure how digi 1 will cope with not doing fuel, I don't know if it'll throw a wobbler if it has no injectors plugged in, or doesn't see what it's expecting on the lambda sensor.

The coolest thing about MS has to be this (right click save as please [:$]). Ignore the diesel-like rev settings, it's set at more reasonable values for actual running. Total cost (on top of MS)? 4 :p

13. KeithMac Forum Junkie

I`ve got the box coming for monday, lucky I haven`t ordered the rest of the aquamist kit as most of it will be redundant now (just need some piping/ jet/ HSV) saved me a fair bit of cash already! People use piggybacks with the digi1 already so I`ll suck it and see, if not there won`t be a lot more wiring to get the sparks working, it`s just mapping the ignition that look hardest..

Need to find a good air temp sensor (compatible with WI), I`ve gt a spare coolant temp sensot on the head, believe the readings wil be the same as the fabled g60 blue coolant sensor.

Do you know if anyone`s managed to drive an ISV of MS?would be a bit of a task I would have thought..

14. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Nice shif light :p

15. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

I don't know of anyone who's driving an ISV yet, but that doesn't mean there isn't anyone :) It looks pretty straightforward, I'm tempted to give it a go myself to make cold idling a bit more pleasant.

16. Cerberii Forum Member

Holy Sh*t Mr_16v!!:lol:

Can't make up my mind whether that is cool as feck or sadder than Watership Down! erring on the side of [8D]

The extra code has provision for a PWM controlled idle valve. Not the best documented though. I was thinking of using it until I found I had wired up the idle switch wrong [:$]. Not had as many probs since.

Gavin

P.S. I was thinking about installing my palm vx into the drivers sun visor so that i can have a part time HUD :lol:Can't make my mind up whether that is [8D] or not either. Think it is prob quite sad?

Soon I will be changing my name to Michael Knight.....

17. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Cold idle was a pain in the bottom on digi1 with no isv, but the ecu will still be controling it so god knows what`ll happen :lol:

Going to dig up your megasquirt thread, do you know anyone else running MS on a boosted engine?

Also will my req-fuel values be diffeent to yours (running 305cc injectors?), looked though the MS documentation las night and it looks a bit daunting to say the least.. That MSTweek3000 looks good though.

Can MS`n`Spark run closed loop with wideband and spit a map out (wishfull thinking!).

Need someone in the passenger seat with the laptop methinks..

18. martyn_16v Forum Junkie

mk1turbo16v on here has a 16vt on megasquirt, and there's a couple of guys on the vortex I think (certainly OttawaG60, have a trawl round the Carbs/itb/sem and forced induction forums to find the others). There's also a few in the success stories on the MSEFI forums. The guys that actually designed MS also happen to run boosted Audis [8D]

Your reqfuel will be a little different but it's easy to calculate in Megatune, just plug in your injector size, no of cylinders etc and it'll work it out for you.

MS itself can't auto-tune, but there are a couple of tools that will read a log and your current VE table and suggest a new one. MSTweak3000 aims to set the entire table to produce a single AFR, but can also scale the table to a different target AFR for each kPa row. The limitation of MSTweak is that it can't work on the high load areas of the map, as it relies on MS' O2 correction, which is turned off over a certain throttle position. This isn't necessarily a bad thing though, most people prefer doing the WOT areas manually to be sure. There is also a beta tool out that is designed with wideband users in mind. It will read in a log and your current VE table, and suggest a new table. This one works more how you'd expect, by looking at the AFR at each site and working out how much the VE needs to change to achieve your target AFR, something a narrowband setup would not be able to do (which is why MSTweak doesn't do it).

19. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Well had it runing on MS for a week, using Digi1 for sparks and isv control at the moment (would have set fire to the car if I`d tried to do the ignition from the off as well..

Using squirt`n`spark extra, got a reasonable map up to 100kpa with MSTweak, don`t use 5 worth of fuel driving to work every day now which is nice :lol:

Bit of a steep learning cuve to tune t but e learnt a lot, will book a hour or so on the rollers to finish it off.

Just got to get my finger out and install the WI so I can go for full boost!

Digi1 really does suck for fuel control (bar the no lag SNS chips)..

20. Trev16v

Wow, you've got it running with MS already [:D]

I put my Megasquirt together this weekend. Haven't bothered to power it up and test it yet. I've been too busy drooling over the block and head I just collected from the machine shop [8D]