Mk I or MkII for track day car?

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by ramjamband, Mar 24, 2004.

1. ramjamband New Member

Ok, me Tubs and his brother are planning to buy an old GTi and strip it down to the bare bones as a track day toy. Should we go for a MkI or a MkII? Tubs says a MkII for obvious reasons but I like the MkI due to my age and oncoming senility. Let us know what you think.
    Cheers, RJ.
    Edited by: ramjamband

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

well, you may as well start with the lightest base if cost ain't an option, i.e. the mkI.

only reason for goin for a mkII would be that they're cheaper/easier to get hold of a tidy one.

3. VR6Will Forum Member

I wouldnt say that at all! milkbar got given his mk1, and the body shell is absolutely mint!! Surprised you didnt advise them to get a mk3 acf!

although wot engine u going for??
    Edited by: oakgreen88

4. AndrewF Forum Addict

when have i ever said a mkIII was the perfect track car, i've always said it was a perfect balance for road use, and maybe occasioanl track use.

there's less mkI's for sale for sub 1k, than there are mkII's....fact!

(feel free to put a search in and check all the previous posts i've written oakgreen...should be used to it, as it appears that you must search for all my posts every time you're on here, just so you can dump on them)

5. ramjamband New Member

Yeh price will be taken into account. The cheaper the car is in the first place the more we can spend on it but, if one comes along that is a bit dearer but already modded to suit then that will be taken into account. We have the facilities to weld, etc so a mint shell is not paramount, in fact we like things a little rough. :lol:

6. AndrewF Forum Addict

i'd try and find a mkI first, depending on how long you wanna wait of course.

so what plans have you got for the car then?

7. AxlFoley Forum Junkie

Personaly i would say a Mk2 16v, if you look hard enuf you can pick them up really cheep, they are usualy solid, and if you smash it up you can swap the parts over to a new shell pritty easilly.

allso if you get one with some decent extras i.e. leccy windows, you can sell them on to save you cash [:D]

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

does it have to be a golf, cause there's a few rwd cars out there that could be a more interesting proposition?

9. VR6Will Forum Member

cos i know it winds you up! :lol:
    Edited by: oakgreen88

10. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

It's gonna be a Golf -- there are more interesting RWD cars out there -- but i nailed a load of Beemers and Porsches to the ground before! :lol:

Seriously though, i think i know the Golf well enough to play with it easily. It's also very cheap and easy to work on compared to lots of others cars.

I say a MK2, again cos i know them so well.

to get a MK1 up to scratch needs a lot more parts fabricating and more expens IMO -- take for example the brakes.

And a completley stripped, arbed and coiloved mk2 1.8 16v should be pretty efficient anyway.

11. Karl Forum Member

1.8 16v Mk2, trust me, I know [:D]

12. Sexy16v Forum Member

well personally - i'd go for the MKI simply cause you could put a 1.8 16v gti in it and it'll go like sh1t off a shovel - however going on the census if you wnat a cheaper all rounder of a track car then the MKII would be the option.

Depends on what you want to achieve and what you want when you say 'track car' - it's of no help i know!!!! :p :lol: [:D] [:D] :)

PS - it needs to be sturdy if Tubs gonna drive it!!

13. prof Forum Addict

tubs, what about chucking your ABF in a mk1 that'd be tidy, and for the brakes use 280s and g60 calipers with brackets from fozzie bear, sorted

14. Sexy16v Forum Member

That's a nice thought!!!

15. IanCarvell Forum Member

Mk1 with Mk2 uprights and brakes and 16v engine.

Maybe Scirocco?

16. sjw75 New Member

Ive gone for a Mk2 Golf for my toy, However im planning to build a more rally based car rather than track, however when its sorted I'm sure I will be tempted to give it a blast around the black stuff !!

whatever you buy, have fun !!

Cheers

Simon.:)

17. dUff

dUff Administrator Admin

I have had both Mk1 & Mk2 track day cars with the same engines, and i am now working on another mk1 track car which should be much faster. The Mk1 will always be quicker out of the coners with simular power as its lighter.

I think getting a mk2 16v to be reliable on track and handle is much cheaper than sorting a mk1 , and the Brakes feel better. Added to the fact that if you have a prang bits can be got easily for the mk2, some Mk1 panels are rare now to find now as genuine parts.

But i alway found that the mk1 oversteers less and is faster. I only did my mk2 as something to drive untill the mk1 was ready, but i love it now and have slacked a bit on the mk1 really added to the fact that getting the mk1 shell up to scratch was tricky and expensive and look a long time

Edited by: dUff

18. mrsirca New Member

Mmmmmmm Just a little dream but I'd like a lovely MkI for track days and RWYB with a 1.8T engine or maybe a 2.0 with throttle bodies (Yum). In Lhasa if poss. Hehehe [:D]

19. ramjamband New Member

Well it's been a while now...had plenty of time to think. Decided that there is no way on earth that I will have any sort of Golf as the transmission is not Tub proof!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

20. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

The gearboxes are!

Just the Diff isn't -- but dad always knows best... right!? [:s] [xx(] :clap:

;) :lol:
    Edited by: Tubthumped