Mk.III ABF; Giving it a bit more...

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Niek5291, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Niek5291 Forum Member

The final drive will be changed some day, if it's not a daily anymore. I know another final drive helps the engine a lot. I thought one from a Passat 35i, the 1.8 or 2.0 8V, is the right one.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Gurds' Username = VW_Singh

3. rambow Forum Member

4. twolitrepinto Forum Member

5. rambow Forum Member

6. Chrisrpal Events Team

Eddie, what benifits would the abf have if fitted with KR cams? I have seen a couple of people do this mod? Also am I right in saying the SEAT abf has lightweight lifters which make the engine rev quicker compard to the golf mk3? I read that somewhere.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  7. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

This thread in the 16v FAQ section, started by Eddie:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?156126-A-VW-16v-camshaft-study

Has the following information contained within:

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Chris, the problem with what 'you hear' and read in the internet is most of it is not proven, experienced or tested as a study to validate any worth. Usually stated by 'Jon Scene-Airbags' who has a good feeling!
    I have a VW ABF engine in JORAN....That revs quickly as you witnessed - lifters mixture of stock, GSF and what was lying around my shed! Subjective perhaps as this vehicle has better tip in response due to mapping and a light flywheel, compared with many conversion out there. On the other hand Dav's dyno reference car is a Seat engine with OE ECU in my mind revved no faster than any other VW ABF motor on the fitted with the same flywheel and ECU. Still subjective until a test can be done but then the results may just show a difference a driver would pay no notice to.

Chrisrpal likes this.
  9. Chrisrpal Events Team

That makes sense. I hear alot of people over estimating their power figures (mainly general chit chat at the pub over a pint or two) until they go on the rolling road and are disappointed in the outcome. You sometimes read those articles in the VWgolf mag. They say oh my car isn't properly setup or must be a fault on the rollers. etc....

10. Niek5291 Forum Member

There is indeed a big difference between what people say and reality, haha. But some things are really interesting. Still haven't done any mods to the engine. I've been busy with the exterior and the brakes. I did replace the lambda sensor, and that made a huge difference in how the engine runs and idles. Also my fuel consumption is a less than before. I replaced it because of a poor idle and a high fuel consumption. It drives like a tit again.

11. Mike_H Forum Addict

Good to hear you're making sure it's right before you start upgrading.

We might be losing something in the translation here. I've never driven a tit, although I've bounced off of a few ;)

I've probably driven like a tit, on more than one occasion....

12. Niek5291 Forum Member

Haha, that's what we say here in Holland. Sorry for my language, haha. It means it drives like never before, or like straight out of factory :).

13. Niek5291 Forum Member

I finally made a decision about what to do with my ABF. I've pulled out the engine, and removed the head. My cylinders and pistons still look quite well. No messy scratches in the cylinders or black pistons. Also the head looks quite nice. No cracks between the sparkplugs and the exhaust valves, and no scratches where the camshafts roll.

I send my cylinder head to Van Kronenburg Motorsport (Geldrop, Holland). They will do the following things:

- flattening the cylinder head (a little)
    - 16 new valves (original, modified for the cams)
    - 16 new valve guids (tapered)
    - 32 new, stronger valve springs
    - modified in- and outlet
    - new seals
    - new tappets

I also ordered two 268 Schricks, with 11,5mm lift. When it runs, and everything works, I will do a remap at JD Engineering. I'm very curious about the final result.

Here some photo's of how it looks right now :p.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

oooh lovely mk3

will be interesting to see the outcome of this

wasnt essthree running 268 schricks?

did his car ever come back from the dead?

15. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

IIRC, Glen (essthree) ran just a 268 inlet cam as with the pair in, it wouldn't pass a cat emission test on the MOT.

16. Niek5291 Forum Member

EssThree did indeed had that setup, but he didn't pass the MOT. In the last phase he ran 268 inlet, standard outlet cams. I've spoken to a few guys here, and JD (the ECU tuner), and thet say it's not a big deal to pass the Dutch version of the MOT. We will see :p.

17. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Good luck and post back your results! :thumbup:

18. Niek5291 Forum Member

Thanks! Yes, I will post the results :). As soon as there are some updates, I will post them ;).

19. Niek5291 Forum Member

The last few days me and my dad disassembled the gearbox from the engine. We cleaned the engine and the box (the parts were quite dirty after being 18 years under the bonnet :p). After cleaning the parts, I painted the parts. The engine has a nice black paint now, and the gearbox looks quite pretty in silver :).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

20. Niek5291 Forum Member

So, a few updates again here :). I painted the inlet manifold, and some other parts. The gearbox is mounted back to the engine, and I'm quite satisfied about how it looks. My dad and me also mounted the engine back to where it belongs :). I'm still waiting for the cylinder head and the camshafts. Those are the most important parts, haha. Here some pictures:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]