Mk.III ABF; Giving it a bit more...

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Niek5291, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

That does look great! [:D]

2. Niek5291 Forum Member

Thanks Ben!

I just received a call with the message my cylinder head was done, and the camshafts arrived. So monday or tuesday I will pick up the parts. Can't wait to see the head and mount the cams [:D]!

3. Hot Water Forum Member

Keen to see you power increase after modifications.

Will you be using a modded airbox and larger free flowing exhaust?

4. Niek5291 Forum Member

I'm also very curious to the increase. Don't know what to expect. Everybody has a different idea about it. My airbox is still standard now, with a K&N filter in it. Don't know yet if I have to modify the box, or not.

It already has a 4-2-1 manifold, a 200 cells cat and a 63,5mm (2,5'') stainless steel exhaust, with two Simons silencers.

5. Niek5291 Forum Member

I picked up the cylinder head today. I was very curious about the results, and I must say it looks very nice. I'm still a noob at these things, but everything looks so smooth and so well done. I only have to refit the valve springs, and mount the cam shafts. Those shafts, and a vernier pulley, also arrived today.

Here the part what counts the most :p:

[​IMG]

Schricks 268/268 on the left, and original ABF ones on the right.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Close-up shot from the inlet, with tapered valve guides.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When I mounted the bits and pieces, more pictures will be placed here :).

6. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Its never nice when the parts look almost too nice to fit [:D]

7. Niek5291 Forum Member

Haha, I know what you mean Matt, but it's meant for giving torque and horsepower :p!

Yesterday and today I mounted the cams in the head, with a new chain and new nuts on the caps. Everything is set on time (I think :p). Me and my dad also mounted the head on the block. Here some pictures of the recent work:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm very satisfied about how it looks :).

8. Niek5291 Forum Member

Still busy with the ABF. I've painted the valve cover and mounted it, with new gaskets. Also mounted the inlet manifold and throttle body. Still waiting for a Vibra-Technics engine mount. It's still not here due to problems with Vibra-technics and the shop :thumbd:. Planning to mount the engine mount, while it's still open, but maybe it's more clever to put the front on it, and test the engine now. The engine mount can be installed later too, and I'm really curious to how it runs.

Here some pictures from the current stage lol

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Hot Water Forum Member

Looking forward to it running.

10. Niek5291 Forum Member

Me too! A bit further now. Wireloom is almost completely installed. Still waiting for my engine mount. Also fitted my ISV, and some fuel- and vacuum hoses.

11. Niek5291 Forum Member

A lot of things have been done last week :). I finally received my engine mount, and installed it. After installing the engine mount, we were able to mount the other missing parts, and make it look like an engine again :p. Results in the pictures below here:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last friday the moment I could turn the key to start the engine. Filled the engine with oil, and the coolant system with coolant fluid. After the first start, it was running properly, but it wouldn't idle at all. Every time the engine quit running. My first idea was the ISV, so I called a friend, and he had another ISV laying around at home :p. After installing that one, the ABF was idling properly :). After letting all the air out of the coolant system, we installed the front, wired the cables and went out for a first ride. I still drive with a remapped ECU, from my previous setup, but it drove really well. Above the 4.000rpms it really revs hard. 17 September the ECU will be remapped again, so I'm very curious :).

Here little movie of the idling:
    [video=youtube;dgLg6o4D3j8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgLg6o4D3j8[/video]

12. Niek5291 Forum Member

Hello again guys!

Today I went to JD Engineering, who also remapped my ECU the last time. Once I arrived, we started preparing the car, for the run on the dyno. We also installed a 4bar fuel pressure regulator, and after that the car was ready to drive on the dyno. First we adjusted the idle running, so it now idles properly.

After some test runs, we finally reached a decent result; 191bhp and 209Nm of torque.
    [​IMG]

But there was a slight vacuum in the intake manifold; the engine didn't get enough air... So we tried a run without filter, with open throttle. This was the result:
    [​IMG]

There is still 7hp to win, so the next update will be a modified airbox or a total different, BCA, airfilter. But first I'm going to enjoy the update and save some money [:D]. The guys from JD Engineering, and Van Kronenburg did a great job!

A little movie:
    [video=youtube;N79o7M9ZczY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N79o7M9ZczY[/video]

13. Matt82

Matt82 Forum Addict

Excellent. How does it feel to drive?

14. Niek5291 Forum Member

It drives lovely. Slight less torque than before in low rpms, but above 4.500rpms it's much quicker and it really revs fast. And at constant speed still quite a decent fuel consumption.

15. Hot Water Forum Member

Any updates?

16. screaming lord poodle New Member

This is a standard ABF with a ported and polished head and a set of fairly mild cams and it makes 209 bhp?

17. Ben S

Ben S Forum Junkie

209 was the torque figure on this dyno In Nm, which is 154 lbft.

18. screaming lord poodle New Member

Ah i see,made 191 hp which is very strong for the spec.

19. Niek5291 Forum Member

Hey guys,

No updates yet. I'm driving it every day now. Around 650km a week. I really have to buy a daily, but I'm still a student, haha.

Engine's still running fine. I've fitted new lifters four months ago, because one was ticking. I've received 16 new ones and the ticking noise was gone.

Also fitted a new damper because there was a slight rattle in it, which made me crazy.

The Schmidt MLs have new 195/40 tyres and it's a bit lower now. Some body parts will get a new layer of paint, and the suspension rubbers will be replaced for new ones this summers. So many plans and little time!