Mk1 ARB combinations

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by 3hirty8ight, Mar 8, 2007.

1. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Hi there, thinking about getting some uprated anti roll bars shorty for my Rocco, was just wondering what people used??

I have spoken to several people with different opinions on the matter, so far i have had avice from people running combinations such as no front ARB. Also what are peoples thouights on runnning 28 mm rear bars? of is this a bit excessive.

currently looking at a neuspeed combination 22mm front 25mm rear.

thanks
    Henry

2. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have a Neuspeed 22mm front and ABD 28mm rear bar. I think its great and really happy with it. Can use the car on the road as well as track with no drama. Wet weather driving is fine too. Some people complain of too much lift off oversteer but I don't have an issue.

Gurds

3. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

ABD, where can you buy those? sounds like a good combination, how much difference would a 25mm make on the rear? - slightly less turn in?

What does taking the front ARB off do? - more on power steering?

Henry

4. mr.brown

mr.brown Paid Member Paid Member

H&R 22/26 combo just landed on my doorstep this morning
    ;)

5. abf"d mk1 Paid Member Paid Member

i have a pair of neuspeed, cant remember dia,s of the top of my head and only for road use but really cut down on body roll.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

I use the Eibach kit, not sure what the sizes are ?

7. chopperoli Forum Member

I thought a certain amount of body roll can help the outer edge tyres 'bite in' for grip tho?

8. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

mmm, thats sounds like the business....... linky!?

9. seanlazyass Forum Member

How many race cars do you see that don't corner flatly compared to any road car???

Put simply, the less roll the bigger the contact patch, the more grip.

10. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I'm using a standard GTI 19mm bar at the front and a Neuspeed 28mm at the rear.

...to throw another combination into the mix. Turns in very nice with standard offset wheels on, very nimble.

11. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

^^^^thats the sort of setup i was swaying towards, just put poly ARB mounts on the front and buy a bigger rear.....?

12. chopperoli Forum Member

OK in terms of standard wheels then, not extra wide rims...?

13. mexicorich Forum Member

No
    If you understand the way in which radial tyres distort under sideways force, the wheels need to be at negative camber if possible

14. Crispy 8V CGTI Committee - Club Secretary Admin

front wheel drive cars will always be better with bigger ARB on the rears
    I run Eibach on my mk1 GTI with hard setup, and will be running similar setup to mk 1 drivers on my trackday car, stock on front & thick one on the rear

thicker on the rear will help the fronts turn in better as the force is transfered thought the shell

15. chopperoli Forum Member

crispy you still got your 1600 gti engine in the mk1?

16. seanlazyass Forum Member

Doesn't matter what width of tyres we're talking about, same principle applies. Roll is not good. Simple as.

17. chopperoli Forum Member

Simple as? I am led to believe that cancelling out body roll has side effects. E.g. rear torsion beam becomes far less 'independant' and you get side effects when travelling in a straight line - e.g. bumps affecting one wheel will affect the other.
    Also, you need some weight transfer there, especially in the wet to help get some grip, that was my original point.

I wouldn't apply race car theory to a road car without thinking of the bigger picture, road cars IMO probably shouldn't be set up so 'close to the edge' and should IMO retain a degree of safety (think greasy roads) and comfort.
    But if it's just a set of Eibach bars on a Mk1 I would think none of this is really that relevant

18. seanlazyass Forum Member

Please explain what you mean by independant here?

Your original question asked if having some body roll would give you more grip:-
    And my answer still stands. No. Regardless of what type of car. Whereas your quote above is talking about how the suspension reacts, which is a totally different question.

Talking purely about grip, then you don't want any body roll, but achieving this on a road car is basically impossible whilst keeping if useable.

I agree with your last paragraph, but that wasn't included in the original question you asked. Hence my answer.

19. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

So according to that theory then i would probably be running as larger diameter roll bars as i can?

20. vw_stu Forum Member

for track use perhaps, but on the road you`d find when one wheel goes into jounce it will take the other with it, making for a terrible ride. plus when going down bumpy b-roads you`ll be all over the place.......like the nearest ditch:p