Mk1 ARB combinations

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by 3hirty8ight, Mar 8, 2007.

1. seanlazyass Forum Member

Do you use the car on track? What suspension are you running?

If its just for the road then the Eibach setup will be more than fine.

I've got a mk2 which is my weekend and trackday toy. I run FK Konigsport Coilovers, Eibach ARB's and fully polly bushed. If I was to go back and mod the car now I would fit slightly thicher ARB's, because the suspension is stiff enough as it is on the road. But then I like the car to oversteer.

Fitting thicker ARB's will give you a very similar effect as fitting stiffer springs, without as big a decrease in comfort and ride. It will also make the car much more balanced and prone to oversteer. How confident will you be with the cars handling on wet winter roads?

Another piece of advice- Have a search on the internet or get a book from the library and learn the theory of vehicle dynamics and how suspension works. This will let you make a much more informed decision. Also think of your driving style, and how it will suit any mods. Do you brake mid bend, throw it into corners, trail brake, lift mid bend?? If you do this often on the road then be careful once you're upgraded your ARB's!

Last edited: Mar 11, 2007
  2. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Thanks seanlazyass, the car will be running re-valved Koni's by my freind who does Ohlins for Seat.. he really knows his stuff! The car will primarily be used for track days and summer driving,.. already fully bushed and braced,..

My driving style on the road is best described as very conservative.. So i think i will be ok with some slightly stiffer ARBs, maybe 28mm rear 25mm front, but im more than open to advice from people whos upgraded ARB's

3. NormanCoal Forum Member

Saying that an increase in ARB diameter is going to make the car oversteer more is a sightly misleading and false statement. The likes of eibach and H&R sell matched pairs, so it isnt suddenly going to turn into an oversteering beast once you fit them. If, however, you were to use a 22mm front (say an eibach) and then fit a 28mm rear (H&R or Neuspeed) then you will find it more likely to oversteer.

You are right in the other points though, but in addition there are other things like spring rates, ride heights, and where the weight is in the car that can affect the handling also

Henry, I'm not so sure whats available for a MK1 golf chassis, but for a MK2 there is lots of choice. Bearing in mind what Jim has done on Ben's car, I would probably choose the biggest bars you can buy (prob 25mm F, 28mm R) and then leave Jim to set up the dampers and springs to suit.

4. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

^^^great minds think alike... Bens car is the best handling mk2 ive ever witnessed.. Threre is a fair amount of availability for A1 cars.. Enough for me to start a thread about which ones to go for that is!

Its more the front to rear difference that i'm getting advice on rather than the overall thickness..

5. NormanCoal Forum Member

if my MK2 experience is any use to your 'rocco situation, there have been two setups I have been very pleased with - 8v on 4 stud with a G60 front bar (23mm IIRC) and a rear 28mm Neuspeed bar set on full stiff. This shell then turned into a VR6 with 5 stud, running 25mm front and 28mm rear (full hard again), both Neuspeeds. Jim will tell you himself that I had to call upon his knowledge to neutralise the handling a touch for on track use in its VR6 guise.

I will say in addition, that you will have a very stiff shell - you're thinking of caging it arent you? This will make a huge difference, less torsional movement will mean the dampers etc will be doing less work, the effects of them immediate rather than a delay through shell movement

Overall, should be a cracking package once done :thumbup:

6. 3hirty8ight Forum Member

Cheers Chris, cage is going in later in the year, but it will happen! Engine is finally in and paint will hopefully be going on next month.. I didnt mention that i've got my ball joint extenders and track rod arm rose joints to go in too, which will help massivly geometry wise...

As for the decision on the ARB's i thnk a full neuspeed setup is in order, with the 28mm rear bar...