Mk1 caddy 1.6d engine swap 1.8 16v kr

Discussion in 'Say 'hello' in here.' started by _E_, Sep 30, 2020.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

does it keep going if you hold the revs up? if not listen out for the fuel pump, does it run on after the car cuts out

2. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

I don't think I can hear the pump after it cuts out. Is the 5th injector the best way of telling it the pump is running while cranking?

3. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

5th injector sprays on crank

4. rubjonny

the main pump should be pretty loud, 5th injector doesnt tell you all that much as it doesnt need much fuel pressure to spray vs main injectors. my 16v guide covers fuel injector tests if you follow that it'll show if theres enough fuel pressure to open them

5. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

So I just kept it running with the throttle for about 5 seconds

6. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

So it will run with the throttle, just won't idle

7. rubjonny

ok, may just need to open the idle screw to get it idling, maybe adjust CO screw a little. with a new start project like this it can be a faff to get all the screws close enough to keep engine running long enough so you can get it setup proper

8. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Ok with have a play with the co screw, I haven't got the vacuum pipes hooked up yet, will that effect its idle much?

9. rubjonny

youve at least got brake servo hose on right or blocked on the inlet?

10. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Yes got that on

11. rubjonny

ok wont be too much of an issue then for idle, but get them sorted at some point. you should have vac line to ecu, then one over to driver side which splits off using a T piece to the 2 valves. dont need to bother with the warm air flap or anything can leave that off

12. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Hi Rj
    How's it going?

I know its been a while, since I've put everything back together. I don't think the fuel pump continues to run after priming causing it not to start. Whats the best way of checking this?

Many thanks

Ian

13. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Am I rightvin saying if I earth the red/yellow of the 2 pin plug by the ecu with ignition on it should activate the pump. If it does is the none starting problem else where?

Thanks rj

14. rubjonny

if the pump isnt running on after engine cuts that suggests you're loosing the ecu or the spark signal to it, rather than say if the engine stalled out for example.

yes if you earth the red/yellow wire on the plug near ecu the pump should run, but to rule out anything to do with the fuel control circuit just swap a 17, 18 or 100 relay into the fuel pump socket ten pump will run all the time with ignition. if that helps then look at the fuel trigger red/yellow wire and the ecu. if not thats ruled out look elsewhere

15. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Yes I put the 18 relay in and with ignition on pump runs continuously I accidentally started up with that relay on and it fired up.
    So I am right on saying I need to look at the red/yellow and earth it with ignition on. That would prove the car side is ok? Whats the best way of proving ecu side?

Thanks mate

16. rubjonny

yes try running the car with that relay swapped over, if it runs perfectly look at the relay trigger circuit. if it still has same symptoms look elsewhere

17. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Yes it does run with that relay in. If I test the red yellow with ignition and the the pump runs then is the car side ok? If so whats the best of checking the ecu side?

18. rubjonny

so the running problem is solved? if so put the 67/80/167 relay back in and run an earth to the red/yellow and see how it runs like that

19. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

Yes so it fired up when I swapped the relays 167 for 18. I moved the earth which on the coil loom from direct to the battery and bolted on the side of the head. Is that where my fault lies?

20. _E_

_E_ Forum Member

So I earthed red/yellow with ignition on and the fuel pump worked.