mk1 *GAY* carbon fibre bonnet.

Discussion in 'Styling, Trim and Bodywork' started by Riley, Dec 31, 2004.

1. pol8 Forum Member

http://www.rallytech.co.uk/

http://www.fibretechgb.co.uk/

http://www.litetuned.com/

http://www.curleyuk.com/

http://www.streamlinecarbon.com/

quick diy guide
    http://www.mci.i12.com/carbon/

the above should be able to give quotes on producing carbon specific products. it may also be an idea to speak to fibreglass moulding companies carbon can also be used in a

if it is not for show and more about leightweight and strength then i would get a fibreglass skin enough carbon and the resin and just layer it onto the under side. it might not be the thinest strongest bonnet ever but it will be the best comprimise and not break the bank.

2. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

cheers guys! [:D]

pol8 the bonnet is a full carbon skin attatched to the original metal structure.

i do want it mainly for the weight saving,its just a bonus that it should look fantastic with the plans ive got for the mk1.

thanks again,neil. [:D]

3. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

ok so the guy pulled out of the deal [:x]

dosnt want it to get damaged in transit,and he's had some interest [:s]

we hadnt sorted delivery yet,i was suggesting either he could be of help and post it to me(id obviously pay for service,with insurance)

or i could arrange a courier,he would just have to package it up.which again i would pay for,with insurance also!

i was! going to suggest us both driving maybe 150 miles each to meet up like he says on the auction,but i dont think he could be ar$ed to do it!?!

so no carbon bonnet for me then.

wtf! [:x]
    Edited by: riley

4. pol8 Forum Member

do what i suggested above.

fibreglass skin then get some carbon layerd on the underside which will stiffen the whole thing up and stop it sagging.

it will also mean you can junk ideas of support frames, bonnet hinges and any locking catches. go motorsport and use bonnet pins. ;)

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

thanks for the suggestions m8 [:D]

i dont really understand the carbon fibre tbh... [:$]

could i just use a carbon fibre skin,some sort of bolting point at the back? [:s] and yeah! bonnet pins are going to be used [:D]

any help for a dumb a$$ appreciated [:$]

edit:just reading the mails from him,anfd the bonnet weighs 13.6 kilo's,mine weighed 14 with some sound deadening stuff on it! [:s]

6. pol8 Forum Member

just added your hotmail to my msn. give me a shout when your online and i'll explain.

off to get me fibreglass front wings which have finally been delivered! [:D]

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

sorry m8 im not on msn [:$]

can you just give a bit of an explanation here for others to see too [:D]

is the carbon fibre hard or i thought it was floppy material? [:$]

8. pol8 Forum Member

carbon fibre material is a woven structure, there are different patterns it can be woven in which are suitable for different uses. there are several ways you can use the carbon to mould and create things. to mould the carbon into a shape you need resin, it's a similar process to creating fibreglass items. you create a mould lay up the material and add resin. to describe it would go a bit to indepth and offtopic. you would be as well to have a look at some of the links i posted previously or do a search on google.

carbon bonnets/panels will come in several forms.

pure carbon - generally nothing but carbon and resin although you can use a sandiwch material bewtween the layers of carbon for strength. these ones will be the lightest ones available and can be made to look sexy for show cars or just raw which can then be painted.they'll have no structure underneath and generally be fastened with bonnet pins.

carbon skin - carbon layerd over the top of an existing structure. a bonnet for example will still have all the metal and structure underneath but have a carbon skin added over the top for looks. bit of a waste of time unless your after nothing but looks.

carbon with frame - pure carbon bonnet with carbon frame. only seen one on a show car picture from germany. thing must have cost a bomb as it would need a couple of moulds and a lot of patience to get the carbon to look good.

fibreglass without frame - similar to pure carbon but it's fibreglass, will weigh more than carbon but still be lightweight. not as strong as carbon and people mention problems with flexing, sagging and vibrations while moving.

fibreglass with frame - will weigh more than other carbon bonnets apart from anything that still has metal on it. stronger than the above fibreglass bonnet.

fibreglass with carbon layer - what i have. not seen anyone making them. won't weigh much more than a fibreglass without frame but it will be much stronger than the plain fibreglass due to the carbon.

thats about it, i can't be arsed to write anymore as well to be honest... :lol:

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

:lol: [:D]
    thats just what i needed to read m8!
    nice one,appreciated :thumbup:
    neil.

10. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

was it anyone off here that got the bonnet?
    [8(] [:x]