Mk1 Golf G40 Conversion!

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by olstar, Jan 29, 2004.

1. olstar New Member

Hi,

Has this bin done b4?

can any one send me, direct me to some information?

also if any1 knows of any g40 engines/cars going cheap i would appreciate it!

i wud have a g60 but my insurace company wud tell me to go away! (maybe not in them words, and probably with some additional laughter!)

:lol: :)

2. Neil G40 Forum Member

Yeah theres somebody else on here with one, also check out the pitstop forum loads of g40 people there

3. Neil G40 Forum Member

In fact I've just had a look and theres one for sale on there.

4. olstar New Member

u da man! [:D]

5. olstar New Member

Right, possibly sourced a engine, does any1 know if i will be ok with existing brakes that i have on my mk1?

its swapping a 1.3 driver engine for a 1.3 g40 engine..

so im not gonna be able to go overall much faster am i?

just get to top speed quicker!

my brakes are really good on the mk1, and they r pretty new i think..

Any one?

Also what else may be required?

obviously i need running gear as well.. but anyhting else?

CHEERS! [:D]

6. greg s Forum Member

What the fuck are you on about man?[:s]

Please don't even think about putting this engine in if you think a supercharged 1.3 is about the same as a wheezing little 1.3 Driver engine and if you think that the Driver brakes are "really good". You will hurt yourself!

7. olstar New Member

ooo touched a nerve there! :lol:

well.. i dont no if u realise the concept of a discussion forum.. but the basic principle is to ask for help/advise on things the "user" is unsure about..

i.e the reason for me sayin:

"does any1 know if i will be ok with existing brakes that i have on my mk1?"

dont mean to be funny mate, but im not gonna no if i aint never bin told..

SO i take it from your responce that they wont be sufficiant!!

any one adivse me on what car i can "rape" some brakes off?

or a kit i can use?

Thanks...

(btw wasnt being funny greg mate, just dont like being spoken to like a moron, regardless of how moronic [is that a word?] i sounded!!)

I come in peace!.. :) [:$] ;)

8. greg s Forum Member

Fair enough, I just worry about people on this forum hurting themselves sometimes when I see them discussing things like that.

As for brakes, you want to be looking at a 256mm/10" setup the same as a mk2 16v. You'll need to get the carriers off a mid-80s Audi as the holes on the hub are closer together on a mk1 than a mk2. All Audi (http://www.allaudi.co.uk) know the ones you need and they'll sell you the carriers and calipers complete ready for the swap.

The mk2 16v brake servo and master cylinder is well worth doing. That on its own makes the brakes feel much better but with the bigger discs you should be up to scratch for an engine swap.

Yes, a G40 mk1 will be much quicker than a 1.3 Driver in every way, depending on what gearbox you use (I take it your Driver has the 4-speed box?). Do you know what you mean by "running gear"? You'll also need to look into the electrical/injection side of things which you'll need to ask someone who knows the G40 engine about.

Most people don't bother with the G40 because it's expensive and unreliable compared to similarly powered 1.8 8vs and 16vs and the G60 will do the same job with a lot more power for not much more hassle but there's a few been built over the years.

Other things to look into: ALL suspension, good tyres, driver's seat, which clocks, strength of sills/suspension mounting points etc etc...

Good luck and whatever you do make sure you do it safely.
    Edited by: gregs

9. Jeff Forum Junkie

if you use the same gearbox, your top speed willbe the same. but that would be geared all wrong for a G40 anyway. And you'd still have to uprate the brakes, because with the extra acceleration youd be able to hit a much higher speed between the exit of one corner and the braking point for the next one (regardless of your achievable top speed in a straight line), therefore needing better brakes!

10. greg s Forum Member

Top speed probably wouldn't be the same anyway as I'm sure the G40 rev limiter will be higher than the 1.3's (if the 1.3 can even pull to the limiter, which I would also doubt).

11. Neil G40 Forum Member

12. greg s Forum Member

Neil, I didn't mean the G40's unreliable compared to the G60. I meant that the G40 at any given power is likely to be less reliable/more expensive than a N/A 1.8 16v of the same power.

13. G40 EM Forum Member

polo's are more fun tho [:D]
    Edited by: G40 EM

14. RT.. Forum Member

I was thinking of doing this engine swap at one point as its quite a rare conversion but after a bit of thought (about 10 mins) I dismissed it lol.
    As everyone has already said you will need to uprate the break for sure, it should be first on your hit list.
    The G40 engine would be so much quicker to 60 than the standard 1.3 you have in it at the moment as well.

15. Gfartywuss New Member

MK1 G40's are pretty nible. They are about the same weight as a Polo G40 so expect simular performace figres if using the G40 box, although in saying that I think the mk1 has a little more drag co-efficent than the mk3 polo so terminal velocity may be impared.
    A G60 lump could also be fitted as mentioned, in saying that the G40 lump is a lot hevier than the G40 and are lazier to rev. Also the G40 charger is pretty bomb proof compared to the G60 units.
    Brakes though.. LOL ye, should be addressed.

16. T U C Forum Member

Its gonna cost a fortune and be a lot of hastle for a car that will probably be a shade faster than an 8V GTi. why not go and find a nice standard G40 or GTi and probably save some cash and your knuckles..... in my opinion!

17. olstar New Member

Hmmm

cheers for replys guys..

i want something supercharged or turboed u see...

dont think i will do this conversion then! wud be nice, but a wee bit too pricey!

What can i do to get a cheap turboed car? pref vw or audi etc..

and no i cant afford to insure a porsche! :lol: ;)

18. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Go for it Olstar do the conversion, a G40 in a Polo or a mk1 golf will easily see of a 8v mk1 or 2, a tuned G40 is even more mental, don't be put of by people who don't have one or never even driven one! I guarentee, if you drive a G40, you will want one, thats exactly the reason I bought mine, same with atleast 3 of my friends!

Alan

19. olstar New Member

its gettin hold of all the requred stuff u see...

Engine, Gearbox, New brakes, bla bla

its too costly.. and i got my caddy project at the mo..

so not got much spare cash!

i wud love to do the conversion!

might just look for a standard g40 to run about in!

no of any?

20. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

There was 8 forsale last week on the autotrader, most I have seen for a long while! 2 of them which looked pretty good value for money! I am trying hard not to buy a 2nd G40 at the moment :lol:

Alan