mk1 golf rollcage

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by c6mby, Jul 17, 2009.

1. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

All I'm saying is that various will advise where to spend your savings, but they may not suit your budget.

For 1k, you are this side of an installed multi point weld-in cage from Custom Cages or Protection & Performance (1.5k to 2k installed).

If you can weld, and have the time/inclination multi-point cage kits (Custom Cages and Rollcentre) come in at around 600-700, which'll be in CDS tube. Best not to weld in if this is the first bit of welding you'd do.

OMP and SD cages come in much less (300-600), are often 6 point, or work up to 8, 10 or more point attachment, but are bolt ins, so are simpler to take on, since you're only installing cage feet, and in some cases, threaded inserts in A-pillars.

There's enough room to pay some labour to get the footplates installed, and come in under 1k, if you don't want to do it yourself.

An alternative are some 'component' cages Custom Cages do, which are bolt in 6-point cages, but the structure is welded together on installing in the car. Some fabrication needed, and obviously top welding skills to put the structure together satisafactorily.

Cage installs often require ratchet straps to tension the tubes to where they need to sit - they don't just slot in, even the bolt-in cages.

Hope the question-asking makes plenty of sense now!

2. fthaimike Forum Addict

Regarding straps, i didn't need any to get mine in. It was tight & i had to push the legs together slightly but not to bad though as i found out & Chris will tell you it is the foot plates that you will spend most time on "c6mby" especially in a mk1.

I had many many conversations with Chris (and changes) before i came to an acceptable install in mine for my OMP cage.

& you also have the seat runners to do.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  3. c6mby Forum Member

thanks very much thats a great reply.

to be honest ive had bad things about custom cages so havnt called them.

may be best for me to save a little more and get someone to do all the hard work for me

thansk again for the replys they have been a great help

regards
    sam

4. fthaimike Forum Addict

There is some great stuff on this forum regarding what you require for when you need it.

And people in the know as i have found out on many occasions.