Mk1 golf roof skin replacement

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by daniboy1_2_3, Feb 24, 2013.

1. allana13 New Member

Awesome infor

Thanks

2. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

Useful diagram, Mickey. Any pictures of the actual welding done?

3. mickey marrows Forum Member

Afraid not Trev.

On my mk1 Scirocco I spent a lot of time getting it perfect. On my mk1 golf track car not quite so much :)

Beware the brazed joint at the top of the C pillar!

4. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Excellent info there, how tricky was it to grind back the weld in that gutter? Would you say a perfect finish is achievable in a realistic timeframe with this technique? For a competent welder/bodyshop man. Getting the new roof to line up perfectly with the cut line must have been quite a challenge and very timeconsuming i imagine? Did you take any pictures of the job as you did it?.

5. mickey marrows Forum Member

A perfect finish is easily achievable.

As for lining up the cut line (I'm assuming you mean A pillar) that is remarkably easy in practice. Just overlap the new skin and mark with a scribe then cut (carefully).

Didn't photograph it in progress I'm afraid and the few photos I have post reskin don't show anything.. just the high build primer over the ground clean butt joint. Sorry

6. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Mickey did your roof have the strengtheing members running across, what did you do with these?

7. mickey marrows Forum Member

I don't think my car had them originally and I removed a pair from the donor car and fitted them..

8. oldscool New Member

That is a excellent diagram Mickey which explains it well . I am now sure I can tackle the roof swap on my scirocco thanks .

9. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thanks for those mickey, makes a lot more sense with a diagram. Well after an extensive search and not finding anything better than the roof skin i have the options i have left are replace it with a none sunroof skin or repair what i have. Ive removed the headlining to get a better look at whats going on and have taken pictures of the sunroof apeture and roof skin itself;

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Here you can see the deformation along the trailing edge of the apeture caused by rust in the seam underneath. The roof skin folds back on itself onto the sunroof cassette as can be seen here, along with the rust in the seam which has caused the deformation;

[​IMG]

The rust here has distorted the roof so badly that it catches the sunroof as its opened and closed.

The next area of concern is around one of the front drainage channels;

[​IMG]

The cassette is removeable but this would involve drilling the spotwelds out from around the folded lip as can be seen here;

[​IMG]

Here are a few more pictures of it;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So there it is, ive seen much worse and im sure much worse have been repaired. If the sunroof cassette was removed the roof skin could be repaired and all the seams could be cleaned up and reprimed etc. Look forward to any feedback on this, thanks.

10. Trev16v

Trev16v Paid Member Paid Member

I'm not quite so sure if there really is much of a rust problem there. That looks like pretty normal seam rust to me which doesn't look all that bad and could probably be stopped in its tracks with the application of some anti-rust products togther with a good coating of 121 Epoxy Mastic or something. Rust doesn't really cause the metal to 'distort' but more so just rots it away. Seam rust wouldn't cause the sort of ridge you're pointing out. I'm not quire so sure why that deformation is there to be honest.

11. Admin Guest

that looks a lot better than mine.

12. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

It doesnt look too bad and im hopefull it can be repaired properly, its the distortion of the roof panel thats my main concern, I was told this was due to the rust in the seam which makes sense to me. It was straight as an arrow when I bought it and nothing else has happened other than the rust developing in the seam which would suggest that's what has caused it. Exactly the same thing has happened on the tailgate. Ill get a few more pictures to show this. To give a little backround the car was acid dipped and a galvanising coating was applied before it was painted.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  13. Gazt Forum Member

Won't let me reply in pm,where abouts are you dani?

14. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

I'm from the north east near Middlesbrough

15. Gazt Forum Member

Oh right!,nowhere near me then!

16. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Unfortunately not, I dont mind getting the car transported to get worked on its just finding someone to do it. The bodyshop I was taking it to cant touch it until october and he doesnt want to repair it, he said he would put a new skin on instead.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2013
  17. mk1. Forum Junkie

has anybody tried sourcing roof skins of the citi golf ? ime sure that's were all the rear panels are coming from on ebay?

18. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Ive looked into it and none sunroof skins are available but they didnt produce a sunroof version unfortunately.

19. allana13 New Member

Do you have the sunroof arms spare by any chance

Thanks

20. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

No spare parts im afraid sorry