Mk1 golf roof skin replacement

Discussion in 'Mk1' started by daniboy1_2_3, Feb 24, 2013.

1. Brad. Forum Member

Is there spot welds on the tailgate area on the roof originally? If so where are they please?

Thanks.

2. mickey marrows Forum Member

In the gutter for the tailgate seal there's quite a few. Also the skin is brazed to top of C pillar..

3. Brad. Forum Member

I've found it's brazed at the top fella :) best way of removing that, grind?

Also are the spots inside the car or in the gutter?

Cheers a lot man

4. mickey marrows Forum Member

Spot welds in gutter. Seem to remember they're in the bottom of the channel AND the vertical lip.

Used a gas torch on the braze joint

5. alfie Forum Member

6. daniboy1_2_3 Forum Member

Thread revival! well after a lot of messing around im pretty much back where I started with this. The car went into a local bodyshop and it looks like it will be coming back out of there as I cant afford his prices after having some work done. So my plan now seeing as though finding a decent roof skin with a factory sunroof is nigh on impossible im going to attempt to repair my existing roof. My plan is to remove the sunroof cassette, clean and repair it and then repair the trailing edge of the sunroof aperture before replacing the sunroof cassette. Its going to be a very tricky repair but im willing to have a go and if all fails ill have to revisit the possibility of replacing the whole skin. Im hopeing other people may have done this in the past who are reading this and can offer a few words of advice on the best way to go about it, or if anyone knows someone that has done it or a link with a guide that would be very much appreciated.