MK1 Golf Track Setup

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by randomguy82, Apr 8, 2006.

?

What are the Best Track Coilovers for MK1 GTI?

1. FK Konigsport

9.1%
  2. KW Variant 2

54.5%
  3. Koni Coilover kit

27.3%
  4. H&R Coilover kit

9.1%
  1. randomguy82 Forum Member

Hi All,

My first post on the new forum - looks very good.

I've got a MK1 GTI track car. I'm happy with the way it goes in straight lines but it needs some help in the handling department. Currently its got bilstein shocks and some Jamex springs, the rest is standard apart from some harder bushes (superpro) and some decent tyres (Yoko Advan A048R, 185/60 13s on the original 9-spoke alloys).

Generally the car handles very well, especially when you consider it is a 25 year old car. However, yesterday at a track day I went for a ride in a track-spec Honda Integra Type R. It was only marginally quicker than me (mostly because of the LSD) but it had none of the bodyroll, understeer or tyre-squeel that I have with the Golf. In fact it was almost boring to be a passenger in - the Golf is far more exciting and I believe that I could have managed some quicker lap times had I been driving the Type R.

I'd like some advice from the experts as to what to do to my GTI. It isn't a dedicated track car as I have to drive it up to 400kms to get to the track in the first place but I can put up with a hard ride. I don't want to go too extreme.

Anyway, here are my questions.

What do I need to do to get the most out of my MK1 and in what order?

Do I really need coilovers? If so, which ones should I go for? We don't put salt on the roads here in NZ so corrosion isn't so much of an issue. What spring rates work for you guys? What spring rates come with coilovers?

Do I need bigger ARBs? If so, which ones should I go for? Are Eibachs still available for the MK1?

Any help, tips or advice would be appreciated.

Cheers

Matt

2. Rustynuts Forum Member

Coilovers and uprated ARB's, you won't believe how much better they are than the standard shocks and springs. I use FK Konisports which are ok on the road on soft setting and then getting on the track, stiffen them up, and that Type R won't keep up with you.

3. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

A lot of people swear by fixed height koni adjustables with eibach springs, great on the road and okay on track once you wind the damping up. I use Avo coilovers which are alright with 350 front and 400lb rear springs, absolutely horrible on the road but good on track. i also use eibach arb's which are good too. I think they are still available.

I'd suggest 1st getting some uprated ARB's and if you can afford to, then get a set of coilovers. Lots of choice and if you want you can always later mess about with spring rates.;)

4. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Lower front strutbrace if one isnt fitted already will also help. Cheap and effective mod for a Mk1.

5. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

urrgh Hangover.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2006
  6. randomguy82 Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. Are Eibach the only ARBs to consider or should I look at Neuspeed? Is there any particular make and model of coilover that is regarded as the best available? Don't Konigsports use Koni shocks? Keep in mind that I am in NZ and sending them back for repair will be an issue.

I've already got the lower strut brace sorted.

Cheers

Matt

7. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

i think the neuspeed are better than the eiback, thicker and adjustable but a bit dearer too i think. What about whiteline, aus based i think, do they make them??

8. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

H+R arb's are very good too, got them on the mk2:)

9. randomguy82 Forum Member

I don't think H&R make ARBs for a MK1. Anyone know what are the H&R coilovers are like for a MK1?

Are FKs the best available?

10. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I have H&R coilovers on my mk1. I have been using them now for four years. Very well built and work nicely. Stiffly damped but roadworthy. If I had to buy coilovers again I would probably go for KW variant 2's. Better ride and more adjustable. I also have a Neuspeed front antiroll bar and an ABD rear one. Add a 28mm rear bar and try leaving the front one standard. Also get your front suspension geometry changed to some negative camber, say 1.0 degrees at least. Oh, and dont forget some decent tyres, make a big difference but overlooked by lots of peeps.

11. randomguy82 Forum Member

The ride doesn't bother me too much.

I've never heard of ABD ARBs - where are they made?

I'm running a decent amount of negative camber but can remember the specs - I'll have to dig the sheet out. Tyre wear comes out pretty reasonable (even at least) considering the use they get so I think there is enough camber.

My tyres are Yoko AO48Rs so should be more than up to the job.

12. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

I think the ABD stuff is American. They now make hollow bars but mine is solid as I think it is and old model. The Neuspeed stuff is recommended as it comes with rose joints.

13. randomguy82 Forum Member

What about as far as the coilovers go? What is considered to the the 'cream' for the MK1?

14. randomguy82 Forum Member

15. TrackCab16v Forum Member

leader, so ive been told , need deep pockets ,

16. iguana Forum Member

:lol: spelt- Leda! :lol:

Not the cream tho fella, someone like Ohlins or Proflex are much more creamy if you really wanna spend some real mega cash on coilies.

17. jimmy8v Forum Member

as iguana said, or penske dampers with custom springs. Theyre all pretty much mega bucks full blown race dampers, but to warrant them you'd really need an incredibly stiff shell to notice the small adjustments these dampers allow you to make.

I've heard good things about kw's as well, I have avos currently and hate them, next winter is suspension sorting time for me though.

18. randomguy82 Forum Member

I thought I'd resurrect this thread as I've made a couple of changes to the car.

The first is that I now have a set of eibach ARBs fitted. These made a noticable improvement but I was expecting more from them. I can't compare lap times as my local track has had some changes to get approved for A1GP use in January. There are now so many configurations I don't know how I'm going to keep tabs on them!

The ARBs were an absolute nightmare to fit. Is this normal on a MK1? The rear wasn't so bad but the front took forever. I'm running wishbones from GSF - I think the holes for the ARB are drilled in slightly the wrong place - either that or the car isn't straight!

Anyway I recently got a WOF for the car (same as your MOT) and the tester said that the front shocks have a bit of play in them - they don't resist being compressed until after the first inch or so of travel - explaining the body roll I get. Being Bilstein they are rebuildable but are quite old but I thought I might as well bite the bullet and get some coilovers.

Therefore I'm back to the original question of which ones to buy. Out here in NZ I can't find any Golf magazines to buy so apart from the brands listed above I'm not really sure what is available. I want then to be adjustable on-car but I don't want to go to the extremes of Ledas etc.

Any advise appreciated.

Matt

19. fthaimike Forum Addict

uprate the steering rack bushes & check the brackets for any give, maybe a front top brace because the mk1 does flex a bit especially without a cage.
    & some big brakes can transform a mk1.

Iv'e also noticed some of the non-eibach stuff connects up to the bottom of the suspension on the rear?

20. yeha Forum Member

Bilstein group A race coilover struts are still available. Sandtler in Germany or Bildon in the US are cheap enough.