MK1 Golf Track Setup

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by randomguy82, Apr 8, 2006.

?

What are the Best Track Coilovers for MK1 GTI?

1. FK Konigsport

9.1%
  2. KW Variant 2

54.5%
  3. Koni Coilover kit

27.3%
  4. H&R Coilover kit

9.1%
  1. randomguy82 Forum Member

The rack bushes have been replaced with some harder SuperPro ones. I've got a Sparco front upper brace but haven't fitted it yet. Perhaps I was unlucky but the factory holes are way off - I'm having a new plate welded to the ends of it to make it fit properly.

2. randomguy82 Forum Member

Do you have a link for these? I can't find them on their website but I think its because it isn't compatible with IE7.

3. randomguy82 Forum Member

Poll added for feedback. My focus is mainly track work but I don't want my teeth to fall out. We don't put salt on the roads here in NZ so corrosion isn't really an issue.

4. vw_singh Events Team Paid Member

Heya, I have been lookin into coilovers again too. H&R do a special race inspired kit especially for track use. Its their stiffest setup but isnt cheap.

Part number RSS-48-819-1/1

Information: http://www.h-r.com/index.php?inhalt=produkt-h&sprache=en

Part numbers: http://www.h-r.com/index.php?inhalt=produkt-clubsport-gewinde-ohne&sprache=en

The H&R setup uses Monotube construction on the front shocks too.

There is also this setup but I don't know anyone who uses them.

http://www.dmsnorthamerica.com/cgi-bin/ec.cgi?opt=2&org=1&pid=237&a=dc

Gurds

Last edited: Dec 6, 2006
  5. paul_c Forum Member

Am I the only one running Weitecs on a Mk1?

6. fthaimike Forum Addict

I use PI springs with koni adjustable dampners & eibach arb's with 3 strut braces & am happy with this setup at the moment.

7. pascal77uk Paid Member Paid Member

i currently use a koni coilover set up which is good, but upgrading in the new year to a kw variant2's

8. golfboy666gti New Member

Does anyone have opinions on Patec Pro Race Series 4 coilovers (they have just been released)?

From the Patec website:

" These race damper cartridges are specifically designed and tuned for competitive driving & racing. The custom damper system maintains a perfect balance of rebound and compression. Suitable for all types of competitive racing including track, drag, rally, autocross and street. The valveing and dampers are so responsive and versatile that they can be adjusted to any driving environment.
    Some of the features that make the Patec race coilovers unique:

- Adjustable compression and rebound via tool free finger dial on top of the shock.

- Dual stage progression springs for an increased performance ability with quicker reaction to the car’s movement.

- Precision quality design in the construction, thus making it competitive against any other coilover on the market today.

- Progressive wound springs for a wide range of suspending ability, making it suitable for street driving when you leave the
    track or course.

- High strength thread casing to ensure long life and smooth adjustment for the life of the suspension.

- CNC’d aluminum spring spacers, top caps, thread adjusters and small hardware. Minimal use of plastic parts ensures that the chance of immature failure of pieces is substantially lowered.

- Anodized zinc outer body to protect against rusting or corrosions.

- In most cases up to 70mm (2.8 in) of lowering adjustment available.

- Multi-stage seal system, unique to these suspensions. This ensures that any debris, particles, dust, dirt, or any negative elements never make it in the interior of the shock where damage could occur.

- The damper rod is made with especially hardened materials with tolerance perfection standards that are equal to gun barrels.

- Custom set-ups are available on special request. This includes custom spring rates, compression and rebound settings.

The I.D.A. features a full Internal damper adjustment for front and rear shocks. This hardness/compression and rebound adjustment is tuned via a tool free adjuster knob on top of the shock. All you need is 2 fingers and you can tune the internal compression of the suspension with 14 positive & negative adjustment settings. If you are looking for a professional competitive suspension that is competitively priced, custom made and designed with your car in mind then the Patec I.D.A. race coilovers are what you are looking for. The internal damper adjustment gives you full reign of control with the suspension. You have the ability to adjust the height and now the reactions of the suspension. These settings are ideal and necessary for anyone wanting to do competitive racing or competition driving in any environment in the world. "

Any opinions?

BTW, Im Randomguys brother, I am also looking at upgrading my Mk1 GTI suspension.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2006