mk1 manifold 16v which one

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Ramblin, Nov 16, 2004.

1. Hotgolf

Hotgolf Paid Member Paid Member

I ran a storm on my mk1. I had issues as I was using a tall block, so had to heat and bend the downpipes a little for more clearence, and it fouled the anti-roll bar a little so I had to lower that about 10mm.

Apart from that it was nicely made, the flexi joint was a decent quality and the bore was just what I was after. And, their after sales was spot on.

2. Mike_H Forum Addict

Storm = Dubpower I think

Supersprints DO have a flexi section - via an olive joint (two flanges with a wire gasket in between). Olive joints should last longer and flow better than flexi pipe, although you might have to change the gasket every couple of years.

Sharpy's manifold is sold.

3. Robos Rado Forum Member

Just been on to Euro car parts, Supersprint distributor in the UK, they are after 356+vat +418 ! ! flippin eck !

Somebody also mentioned the hot tunning being a copy of the Supersprint, so presumably this also has an Olive Joint and as long as it doesnt actually clash some heat wrap and a cover over the UJ boot should protect the UJ from the heat?

Cheers

Ste

Last edited: Oct 22, 2009
  4. Mike_H Forum Addict

Don't forget to ask for Club GTI discount!

5. Mikey C Forum Member

mine was running heat wrap, this is what it came off like:

[​IMG]

i left it off cos i reckon the hole in the heat wrap was making it hotter around the rack, than if the whole thing was just exposed.

Have looked into ceramic coating, but thats 200+. I'm going to see how long the UJ lasts, if its not long i may consider going back to a ABF manifold and making a downpipe up, got welding kit now. Don't think the gains from a tubular manifold are worth the hassle tbh

Mike

6. Robos Rado Forum Member

Mickey C

This is the one on e-bay which looks very similar to yours. Looking at the pictures of the other manifolds this one seems to have a missing pipe?

[​IMG]

Problem ive got is ive no standard manifold and downpipe and no welder so i would have to source the bits 2nd hand then tow the car somewhere to get it all welded up.... making my own up would probably end up costing more than the 260 to buy a tubular one!

Just wondering if with yours is an ABF it brings it that little bit closer?

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  7. Brookster

Brookster Paid Member Paid Member

My Supersprint 4 -2 - 1 one i've had on for 12 Years , cost me 275 from TSR at Inters 1997 :thumbup:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Exhaust heat wrapped

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

i had an Ashley 4- 1 before that for 2 Years.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2009
  8. mk1g60turbo Forum Member

What about the G werks manifold, there really nice bits of kit!

9. Mike_H Forum Addict

Only 12 years - cheap tat - looks half worn too!

10. Robos Rado Forum Member

G Works are 315 but theyve not got any in and arnt sure when they are coming in, just asked me to leave an email address and they would get to me.....

Brookster 2 years for the Ashley, thats pretty poor, as a money no object option i would go the supersprint all the way but 420 ! !

im leaning towards the Storm one at the mo.... but hotgolf had problems on his abf....[:s]

11. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

Im pretty sure the supersprint manifold isn't actually stainless btw, although anywhere on the net that sells it, states that it is. Im sure i tested mine with a magnet (over 7 years ago!) so can't remember for sure. But i think it's actually chrome plated.

I have a gwerks g60 manifold sat here, and tbh im not overly impressed with it. Hottuning apparently copied the design of it too.

Neil.

12. Mike_H Forum Addict

If it's not stainless, it must be a very high grade steel - they don't seem to rust much.

From the supersprint.co.uk website

http://www.supersprintuk.com/golf-special-application-c-78_196_261_292.html

However the link pipe does seem to be stainless.

13. Mike_H Forum Addict

I have to say, if I was building a high power conversion, it would have to be Supersprint or Dubpower. The problem is, neither of them are meant for a tall block, which is what I'm going to build.

Still, I've no objection to beating the tunnel in the Scirocco for clearance, but if the manifold is closer, it'll get even hotter, and the tunnel already gets hot enough for a nasty burn injury, with the 8v that's in there. Might have to put some heat insulation on the tunnel!

14. Mike_H Forum Addict

Look at the state of that thing! Imagine the gas flow where those 4 pipes come into that huge collector box. The ashley is built to a price, and fair play to them for offering something to suit a tighter budget, but that's all about cheap manufacture, not performance.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2009
  15. Brookster

Paul Bargates Custom 16V Manifold with the exhaust-primaries manufactured to measure to suit the Cam specifications. 600 plus

[​IMG][/QUOTE]

16. CrazyNick Forum Member

Whatever you do, do not buy the hottuning manifold.
    There is a peice missing. You would have to get this peice custom made.
    If you want to be sure it is going to fit, i would buy the full supersprint system.

17. Carbs4ever Forum Member

i run a storm developments one on my kr conversion - great manifold nicely finished

18. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

The Ashley one pictured isn't a Mk1 16v version. I don't know what it's for, but it's for a transverse engine with the exhaust ports at the front of a car.

The Dubpower one is a blatant copy of an Ashley.

These are Ashleys. Good for the right side of 200bhp. The one on the right is 10 years old and is still going fine, so I wouldn't worry about them at all:

[​IMG]

19. Brookster

Supersprint MK1 16V
    [​IMG]

Supersprint MK1 8V
    [​IMG]

Supersprint MK2 16V
    [​IMG]

Supersprint VR6
    [​IMG]