Mk2 1.3

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pistol pete, Feb 26, 2010.

1. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

good progress so far! I did mean to look up the fan guides but didnt get round to it in the end, just had a quick look and cant find any suppliers so just a case of keep em peeled. these are used on caddy van and polo saloon/estate so keep an eye out in local scrappy for em

Peter likes this.
  2. Peter Forum Member

no worries, thanks for the tip I'll keep an eye out for them as ideally I would like to have them fitted:thumbup:
    One thing I need to check is if its worthwhile sourcing the Corrado fan loom and module

the parts are coming in faster than I planned I just need the rad mount and crossmember and then the other bits should be more straightforward to source as I can use MK3 Golf / Passat,

Couple of things that concerned me were, notching / denting the chassis leg and flattening the bulkhead for the hydro clutch, I've been told by a VR6 OC member who's done several that removing 25mm from the rear O/S engine mount on the subframe avoids having to notch and gives better driveshaft angle and on the hyrdo clutch there seems to be a number of aftermarket options for fitting the MC (example below)

https://www.fablessmanufacturing.co...version-kit-rhd-vw-mk2?variant=19200718110789

3. Peter Forum Member

As mentioned in the earlier post I'd been looking for the lower radiator support from a Corrado, I found a few crossmembers but not the support, all the usual searches didn't bring any up, the breakers I spoke to said when they rarely come in they are more often rusted through.

I emailed an ebay seller in America who was selling a radiator on the off chance and he had one, would have worked out expensive with shipping and duty but I was keen to get it crossed off the list then one morning I was browsing Gumtree and ad for a VR6 Corrado being broken had been posted the day before. Fortunately both crossmember and radiator support were still available, collected them earlier today really pleased there's a bit of surface rust but they should clean up nicely.

Ideally I would have liked to get more bits and I know I'll kick myself in the future when I'm looking for all those small bits and pieces but unfortunately I haven't the space to store lots of parts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Planning to take the 2 pieces and rad cowling for powderocating in satin black, I'll leave the subframe for the time being as I'm not 100% sure if the rear mount will need trimming.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2020
  4. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

I got clutch master cylinder conversion from TT spares on 'bay, bolts to pedal box, very neat set up, I'll get a photo tomorrow if like.

Peter likes this.
  5. Peter Forum Member

Thanks, I’d be interested in seeing it :thumbup:

6. dodgy

As promised, mk2 box, hydro clutch plus the dbw pedal attached. All brackets off tt spares, darn sight cheaper than anything else I could find and very helpful.

Attached Files:

Peter likes this.
  7. dodgy

Dbw

Attached Files:

Peter likes this.
  8. Peter Forum Member

Thanks for posting the pictures, really useful :thumbup:

Do you know where you will be placing the fluid reservoir ? does a braided line pass through the bulkhead towards the gearbox?

9. dodgy

Got a mk3 brake reservoir so will plumb in to that, then a braided line from HEL, custom one, will run in clutch cable hole.
    The guys I got it off do a complete set up with small reservoir and clutch hose too, as mine was an o2m fitment I asked for kit without all bits as I'd sourced stuff already.
    The tt pedal covers fitted with a little grinding of the mk2 pedals, both clutch covers, brake one is held differently on mk4 based stuff. Throttle one went straight on as mk4 accelerator.

10. Peter Forum Member

Thanks for the info, 02m is that a six speed? I haven't decided what gearbox and shifter to use yet as I'm new to cable change in the MK2 so researching them currently, on the shifter I've read recommendations for the O2J shifter but I want to use a threaded gear knob like OE MK2 but the 02J uses a clip on shift knob (ooer) so I'm just unsure about having it threaded and the shift knob top decal lining up.

Looking at final drives also, the shorter one seen in the ABF seems a popular mod but I'm not sure if it would be too buzzy on the motorway

11. rubjonny

yeah 02m for 6 speed, doable but lots of extra effort vs 02a/j which is all direct fit and works with mk1/2 clocks. not hard to get the 02j shifter sorted, can unclip rod from box and pop to local machine place once you work out how long you want it, m12x1.5 thread. or if you can weld chop the end off a wheel bolt or the old gearstick and weld on

Peter likes this.
  12. Peter Forum Member

Thanks John, I didn't know it could clip out, should make it a lot easier :thumbup:

13. rubjonny

yeah you pop off the cable clip at the bottom once you remove the bottom plate from lever, then undo the screws on the metal ring on top and it comes out from above :)

Peter likes this.
  14. dodgy

O2m needs different driveshafts, mounts, hydro clutch and modified mounting on subframe, I've been collecting parts for nearly a year, just need a vehicle to put it all in!
    My shed is bursting at seams and cant lay hands on driveshafts to measure, but they are mk4 and fabia vrs, should be ok for widetrack set up, otherwise its custom or epytec ones.
    As for the gear knob alignment with threaded stick, we have put washers as shims on top on our MGF with an alloy engraved knob so it lines up properly.

Peter likes this.
  15. Peter Forum Member

Few more bits arrived.

MK4 rear brakes, very unusual colour but it looks like its kept the metal beneath so they should refurb up well, if I'm using a mk2 rear beam I need MK2 rear carriers? (I'm planning on using stub axle spacers to match the front plus axle)

[​IMG]

Eibach Anti Roll bar, wouldn't normally buy these individually as from what I have seen you cant buy them individually but it was a really good price. I actually purchased it as a MK3 VR front bar but looking at the shape and P/N I think I'm right in saying its a MK2/3 Rear bar. I do have a Corrado VR front bar that came with subframe but I'd like the matching front so will have to keep searching, I've had MK2 H&R bars previously which were a similar design and really rate them.

[​IMG]

Like many of us I'm a fan of old Volkswagen Motor Sport parts, occasionally see tacho's popping up but they're usually CE1 with the incorrect x 1000 and the redline is too high for my application. With that in mind I sketched the below in illustrator and have a printer making it for me currently. Its a full vinyl overlay, would have preferred a rigid foil but the printer has assured me that it should match the other dials, have to wait for it to arrive and fitted to see if it'll be any good but at least it a little project I can do of an evening as I'm making no progress on the car itself :thumbd:

[​IMG]

dodgy likes this.
  16. dodgy

Nice dial, could produce a few ;)
    Built a supercharged morris minor about 12 years ago, got a 130mph mini cooper S speedo face vinyl and applied it, curved and ridged base, patience and a heat gun gave a very good result, sure printing technology will give a good match.

17. rubjonny

mk2 or mk3 stub axles and carriers, plus a fair few others for the carriers. ideally find more modern version as they take the stainless slider shims, then you wont have to worry about corroded carriers and stuck pads ever again

18. Peter Forum Member

Thanks for the tips gents :thumbup:

Small updates replacement clocks arrived, I'm keen to keep the conversion as simple as possible so I wasnt looking to retrofit an MFA so sourced a driver cluster, as you can see they were in a pretty bad way, (scratched broken needle and missing LCD clock) but they only cost £15 so took a chance.

[​IMG]

Got them stripped down pretty quickly was concerned about damaging the black screws on the dial faces but they came out fine which was a relief,

[​IMG]

Sanded the whole plastic cluster face with 1500 wet and dry and worked up to 5000 then polished with Quixx, really pleased with the result

[​IMG]

I was hoping to reuse a spare speedo needle I have on the broken tach but having them side by side they are a different fitting and weight so I'll need to source another cluster :(

Next up were some 288 carriers

[​IMG]

Lastly was a tidy up of the Corrado airbox, (see previous page for before pics)

The clips had seen better days but were all there, replacements were £8 each so it was cheaper to have them zinc coated locally

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

MAF screws were goosed to, ordered these from Latvia as TPS were only dealing with trade and the main dealer only takes parts orders over the counter

[[​IMG]

Last gave the plastics a good soak in APC and then a coat of Wurth bumper dye using my children's foam brush set, came out great I really rate this stuff I wish I'd of had it when I had my GTI

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

costel1969 likes this.
  19. Peter Forum Member

had no luck sourcing a replacement rev needle or lcd display for the cluster so sourced another complete unit via ebay.

I've always liked a contrasting needle colour so ordered a fluorescent orange but wasn't really keen on the colour

[​IMG]

Fluorescent red next, much happier with this

[​IMG]

Upon dismantling the latest cluster I managed to break the rev needle [xxx] I had levered it off from one side which pushed the needle into the face and it snapped, I think if I had of used the two spoons method it would have come off with no issue. Fortunately I managed to find the broken section as it shot off when it broke, despite being a relatively clean break I wasn't confident that it could be fixed to a decent standard but the thought of buying a 3rd cluster motivated me to give it a go.

Glued it using Gorilla Glue superglue which worked really well.
    [​IMG]

Used some knifing putty to fill the missing piece then sanded it into shape and removed the excess glue

Couple of coats of paint and I was pleased with the result,

[​IMG]

All complete and reassembled with the correct mileage, pleased with the vinyl, was quite fiddly to stick it on cleanly but some water helped float it on. I messed up slightly on the design as the spacing between the 1&0 on the 10 marker is too wide so the number is covered a bit by the screw.
    I've kept the donor speedo in for the time being I have a spare 1.3 speedo that I can a swap in if I want to fit it whilst its still a 1300

[​IMG]

AKAeddypeck and costel1969 like this.
  20. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Really nice touches mate! I can see what you mean about the 1&0. Looking at it I think the kerning needs to be tighter on all the numbers, and possibly a fraction smaller? perhaps thats the picture?

Loving the attention to detail though! :)