Mk2 1.3

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by pistol pete, Feb 26, 2010.

1. Peter Forum Member

thanks, the font size should be the same but yes the kernings definitely a little off, in time I'd quite like to do another set but combine an 8 valve 7k tacho with a 160mph speedo so could be a good opportunity for a v2, I did look at doing a speedo face as well but just using MPH (love the simplicity of the kph clocks with their single measurement) but I wasn't confident with trimming / aligning the cutouts for the odometer

2. Peter Forum Member

Been collecting more parts, 9" servo from a seller in NI via facebook and a gti rear beam from an ebay seller in Wales, I just need something from Scotland and I've got the full set :lol:

I'm wondering if a light coat of epoxy filler primer might help smooth the surface prior to paint?, always amazes me on these how well the stickers hold up to the rest of it.

[​IMG]

Drove down to get the rear beam on a Sunday morning, I knew I was at the right house when I pulled up. Highlight was a 450bhp VR6 Turbo Corrado Storm, what a thing![l] Had a good chat about old VW's which was good.

[​IMG]

Next up was finally finishing my mirrors, my MK4 has blue glass which I really like, found some for sale on ebay for £7 a side so gave them a go,

[​IMG]

Old mirror off and baseplate cleaned up

[​IMG]

Painted mirrors and rear badge, always like the painted badge on the Rallye so thought id give this a go as mine was a bit tired looking, not sure if i'll fit yet but wanted to give it a go whilst I had the paints out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up is a weighted shift knob,

[​IMG]

I was going to get the reissue VWMS one however I wanted the decal colour to match the one in the cluster, found this one in Lithuania via ebay, really impressed with the overall quality and feel but spot the issue :lol:

[​IMG]

Seller has suggested I keep turning it until its facing the right way, it's already tight so a bit unsure what to do.

Last up my wife hired a rug doctor to go over the rugs in our house, I seized the opportunity and scuttled off to the garage with it in tow to give the front seats a going over, I was amazed how much dirt came out, obligatory dirty water shot below

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  3. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Really fancy painting my mirrors too, alpine white.
    Think I've got a 9" servo in the shed if yours is uber kaput.

4. Peter Forum Member

Thanks:thumbup: this one should be ok fingers crossed I can see some light surface rust inside but it looks sound otherwise.
    Yes the mirrors seem to be a marmite modification, with a lot of people not liking them. Personally I have always liked them after seeing them on the US cars and also the Rallye.
    IIRC I used a filler primer to smooth the textured plastic then it was pretty straightforward. They’re a bit fiddly to disassemble but nothing too difficult.

dodgy likes this.
  5. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

With the gearknob, unscrew it and pack small washers or something so its 1/2 turn back, had to do that on our mgf, have also tried the extra turn before and popped the top of the knob off!!

G60. and Peter like this.
  6. Peter Forum Member

:lol:

thanks for the tip :thumbup:

dodgy likes this.
  7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

will need to use an m12x1.5 nut first I imagine, the washers will just drop straight down the stick

Peter likes this.
  8. Peter Forum Member

Managed to twist the gear knob to point in the right direction:thumbup:

Took my callipers and front carriers to the blasters last week, I've generally just wire brushed them in the past but want to see if I could get a better finish by blasting.

[​IMG]

Really pleased with the finish, the castings marks have remained crisp and theres a good textured finish

[​IMG]

Coat of etch primer on the carriers

[​IMG]

Light coat of K2 Pro Silver, used this before and really rate it

[​IMG]

Callipers to paint next, fronts are relatively straightforward but I've never done the rears before and are more involved, need to order some snap ring pliers first

Rear compensate valve, got this locally off FB market place, seller was really friendly and delivered it personally, like many of us I seem to buy a lot of parts of other enthusiasts and I enjoy meeting the people as much as the parts themselves.

[​IMG]

Last bits to arrive were a set of hubs and driveshafts off a MK3 GTI, will be spitting these and tackling the knuckles in a similar fashion to the callipers

[​IMG]

erreesse, Tristan and dodgy like this.
  9. Peter Forum Member

Few more bits arrived,

I needed to replace the wing aerial as the builders had used the bonnet as storage and snapped the aerial in two when we had our house extension a few years back, browsing Facebook one evening and there was a guy selling these, standard manual aerial but in all black, I've never been a fan of chrome on the MK2 and have replaced my door handle inserts and grille badge with black GTI ones so this should hopefully match, (apparently Votex offered a similar one in period)

[​IMG]

Again on Facebook a multifit steering wheel boss came up for sale, I've had these before and really rate them as you can fit Nardi PCD and also rotate it to fit Momo wheels, I've collected a few different wheels over the years so this should allow me to swap them over when the mood takes.

[​IMG]

Did a bit more work on the rear brakes, was disappointed to find the inside quite rusty, I ordered a flexible shaft for my Dremmel and cleaned them up

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Coat of acid etch primer
    [​IMG]

Coat of silver
    [​IMG]

erreesse and 1990 like this.
  10. Peter Forum Member

Finally got around to finishing my brakes.

Rusty pistons
    [​IMG]

Cleaned
    [​IMG]

50/50 of cleaned handbrake mech
    [​IMG]

I was keen to re-use as much as possible so any hardware was cleaned and brackets tidied up, I replaced all seals, springs and bleed nipples as they were relatively inexpensive and should hopefully give a long service life
    [​IMG]

Finished, pleased with the end results the callipers were really rusty so some of the casting marks have become a bit lost but I'm just aiming for something which is serviceable, one thing I would do next time is clear coat them with 2k to give them an even tougher finish
    [​IMG][/url]

I'm keen to get moving on the seats while the weather is bad so I can keep the project moving forward. I've had little success in sourcing the materials to recover the Recaro's there were a number of promising leads however these have all fizzled out. With that in mind I've begun sourcing old seats to cannibalise the material to hopefully reuse.

Sellers pics
    [​IMG]

I think there should more than enough here to do the centre sections the issue is the outer sections, due to the size of the Recaro bolsters I think I'll need to source a good few rear benches to have enough to do the 2 front seats.

They were in pretty good condition considering there 30 years old but were quite dirty, I took a scalpel and began unpicking each section,

Centre section
    [​IMG]

All the material has a foam backing which had dried with age and crumbled away, any stubborn bits need to be removed and is quite laborious to do so, I found a mix of hot water and dish soap worked well.

Foam backing
    [​IMG]

Dirt from the centre section
    [​IMG]

Cleaned and laid over my seats, pleased with the match
    [​IMG]

More cleaned sections
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2021
    erreesse likes this.
  11. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

Great attention to detail there.

Peter likes this.
  12. Peter Forum Member

Finished cleaning the seat material, before and after for reference
    [​IMG]

Used the following 3 steps;
    Soak in hot water to remove any remaining backing foam
    Wash in a mix of rug doctor carpet shampoo and dish soap
    30 min soak in a mix of hot water and vanish stain remover

I've managed to source another interior and will collect after lockdown.

Being a 1990 my MK2 has the early brittle plastic rain tray cover and I wanted to replace this with the later rigid version, found one online but was a little apprehensive about it being posted arrived a few days later and the packaging consisted of some thin brown paper taped around it :lol:. I was surprised to find it in great condition just needs a clean

[​IMG]

Need to find the matching ECU cover now

With everything out I noticed how dirty it was underneath, gave it a clean with Elbow Grease (95p in Home and Bargain and highly recommended) I've left the factory wax doesn't look great but the cover should hide most of it and its a bit of extra protection. There was some light surface rust on some of the edges (can see it top right of the pic) which I'm cleaning up currently

[​IMG]

Painted the "ECU" bracket, looks ok here but there are a quite a few sanding marks under the paint, normally would have had it powdercoated but this wasn't possible due to travel restrictions.

[​IMG]

Thought I'd give the basic centre console a go, looked at a few but couldn't find anything suitable, eventually found this one in Holland, I don't think they are handed but the P/N is not something I'd seen before its also stamped 90 which matches my car, I guess Europe kept this design longer than the UK?

There were a few marks in the storage tray area, used some worth dye and a foam brush to tidy it up
    [​IMG]

Finished
    [​IMG]

Later smooth horn push
    [​IMG]

Not normally one for stickers but got this online as I really liked the design,
    [​IMG]

Start a new job on Monday and my friend got me this as a leaving present, a great surprise and very thoughtful
    [​IMG]

costel1969, erreesse and dodgy like this.
  13. Mk2Singh Forum Member

Great progress dude!

Peter likes this.
  14. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice, want to do my brakes? [:D]

Peter likes this.
  15. Peter Forum Member

Thanks fellas, think my wife would turf me out if another set of brakes appeared on the dining table I've done 4 pairs this year!

Few small updates, centre console arrived from Belgium

[​IMG]

New bonnet earth strap as mine has frayed pretty much right through

[​IMG]

Fitted my black aerial (I'll get some pics when I can get it out of the garage) had a disaster when replacing the old one, I had taped the new one to the old in an attempt to pull it through from the engine bay into the cabin. Unfortunately pulled a bit too hard and they separated, tried threading the new through for the next two hours with no success. In the end I taped two big cable ties together as they were stiff enough to guide through the bulkhead double skin and insulation but flexible enough to drop down once they hit the back of the dash. Once I had taped the new aerial cable to the end of the cable tie it was fairly straightforward to pull through and position in the original location.

Unfortunately the foam sleeving had degraded over time and crumbled to dust when taking the old cable out, I was keen to replace it as any rattles would grate on me I couldn't find anything on-line which was suitable, a number of people suggested pipe insulation but I was concerned it would be too bulky and not flexible enough.
    In the end I ordered some neoprene foam sheets off ebay and used double sided foam to make a sleeve, I used 1.5mm foam here but ordered 3mm also, think the thinner stuff should be ok I'll have to wait until I drive it to find out.

[​IMG]

First part fitted

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  16. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

I like this very much. What year and model fitment was this? I'm guessing a rare part? Have you got a picture of it and the centre console you have (above) fitted?

17. Peter Forum Member

the P/N on mine is 191 863 275 D, the one's I have seen in the uk are 191 863 275 B I'm not entirely sure what the difference is (they look identical) I originally thought it was RHD / LHD but mine seems to fit ok.

If you search early or 'poverty spec' console they should be easy enough to find I know there's a few on ebay currently, one thing to note is if you want a ciggie lighter you'll need to find a centre vent ashtray which has one inbuilt, I've dismissed this for the time being as I don't want to take my dash to pieces and the ducting piece (re routes the air away from the vent) you need is quite tricky to find. My 16v never had one (gauges instead) and it was ok so I'll see how I go on. One option is to fit an early Jetta or 'Madison' central piece which has a built in ashtray but I wasn't keen on the look and the ones I have seen for sale have always been well worn.

No pictures unfortunately, I had a surprise when I took everything to bits, the carpet under the outgoing centre console was noticeably darker (as mine is a cooking model it has grey carpets rather than black) , I can only think this is due to the exposed pieces fading but then under the seats looks to be uniform so could just be dust but I'm not sure to be honest, the whole carpet needs wet vacuuming so I'm going to do that see how it looks then decide whether to fit it all.

PhilRyder likes this.
  18. Peter Forum Member

Updates below;

New screws for my centre console
    [​IMG]

Managed to source a matching ecu cover
    [​IMG]

Cleaned and a coat of Wurth bumper dye applied
    [​IMG]

New clips for the main section
    [​IMG]

Cleaned my washer bottle the outside is pretty clean here and the dirt is on the inside
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]

The bonnet hinge bolt which attaches the earth strap was a bit scabby, thought I'd try some stainless bolts, unfortunately the first one seemed really tight going in so will stick with oe and just clean the old one up, I've had little luck with stainless bolts with this car for some reason

[​IMG]

Think its probably a result of lockdown / being stuck at home and working with what you have got to hand and a wish to have a few adventures in the car this summer I've decided to keep the car as a 1.3 for the time being. With this in mind and lots of time at home I've begun cleaning up what I have got which to be honest I've really enjoyed doing and its a nice manageable project for me, the engine bay on this car has always let it down, its seems very original but I don't think its ever been cleaned. My plan was to have the whole bay painted when everything was out but for the time being I thought I'd tidy up what I can.

Can see here how dirty it was, the factory wax was still everywhere and I was unsure about removing it as I doubt I could ever reapply anything as effective myself but in reality the car will only ever be used in the warmer months and I'm fortunate to be able to keep it in a dehumidified garage. I borrowed my mums steamer and it made light work of the wax and any remaining was removed with Gtechniq tar and glue remover

Offside turret before
    [​IMG]

Offside turret after
    [​IMG]

Battery tray before
    [​IMG]

Battery tray after
    [​IMG]

As you can see in the pictures there a few bits of rust here and there but fortunately its only surface rust with no major perforations, I'll be repainting the battery tray area but any other bits I should be able to deal with locally, being a solid white really helps here as its a very forgiving colour to deal with.

I've removed the slam panel and rad pack so far and I'm hoping to get the crossmember off next week, started collecting parts for this area

New battery clamp bolt
    [​IMG]

New cable guides
    [​IMG]

Replacement fan shroud, went a bit gung ho removing mine and broke it
    [​IMG]

New bonnet stay clip
    [​IMG]

Removed a lot of the bungs from the bulkhead all came out ok with the exception of the large plastic one (LHD steering column?) managed to bend the edge on mine, unfortunately from what i could find they are NLA and quite difficult to find 2nd hand, chanced upon these on ebay from a guy who had previously smoothed his bay. Before they arrived however I warmed mine up and was able to get it back in to shape so I'll keep these as spares.
    [​IMG]

Cleaned the braided hose between the expansion tank and radiator, I've also found the correct single ear clips for these.
    [​IMG]

As part of the tidying I had removed a number of the ancillaries, had my alternator refurbished by a local company, unfortunately they didn't offer a plating service and due to travel restrictions and I was unable to take the pieces (cooling fan, pulley and nut) to have a yellow passivate finish applied so they painted them black instead, not ideal but looks tidy and should be serviceable.

Before
    [​IMG]

After
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Just need a replacement Bosch decal for it now.

Last up was another new steering wheel (think I need help here) I've wanted one of these wheels for this car for some time even more so if I fit the basic centre console as I think the open design of the wheel will really compliment it and make it feel more airy inside.

[​IMG]

erreesse likes this.
  19. Tristan

Tristan Paid Member Paid Member

No stone unturned.

Bilthamber do a really nice, barely visible wax, Dynax UC. Comes in an easy to use aerosol.

Peter likes this.
  20. PhilRyder

PhilRyder Paid Member Paid Member

Excellent work :thumbup: that alternator looks new! And I really like that steering wheel.......

Peter likes this.