mk2 16v oil choice?

Discussion in '16-valve' started by rick the spud, Dec 2, 2005.

1. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Quantum oil is not made by Castrol - I'll bet my nut on it. It is currently made my Esso, to VW specs.

I drive past (and through) one of the biggest oil and tar refineries in the UK every day, and even the mechanics there who service the trucks won't use Castrol.
    1 reason - false advertising.
    2 reason - Missing out an expensive ingredient for the sake of sales.
    3 reason - Castrol spend far too much on advertising to be a viable oil vendor. "3 sets of steak knives, for the price of one!"

2. AndrewF Forum Addict

yep, cold rating is more critical in winter....if using more than 10w the car needs warming up more carefully.

3. loadsavalves

loadsavalves Forum Member

Well I'll stand corrected but that's what I've been told By a car geek :lol:

4. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

Well I'm an Oil Geek [:-B] and can assure you that it's not! Regardless, the fact that matters is that Quantum oil is mixed by the "manufacturers" to VW specs. VW make the recipe, Esso or whoever else won the tender mix it to that recipe.
    My issues (and many other people's) are with Castrol's own brand oil, which they constantly advertise and yet fail to mention. Magnatec - synthetic? Nope, there's not a drop of genuine "synthetic" oil in it.
    I stick to the Synta Silver - it does what it says on the (cheap) tin, and it's got plenty of seal improver in it to help out those smoky valve stem seals...... :)

5. rick the spud Forum Member

cool... I'll stick to the good stuff then!

anyone know anything about these engine stop leak things. not the thick gloopy oil that just cruds everything up, but the more liquid stuff that supposedly doesn't affect the viscosity of the oil and revitalises old dried out seals?

TSC- what's this flushing process with ATF? or a link to somewhere that has got it!

6. iguana Forum Member

Many yrs back I worked for VAG & the Quantum oil delivery came in Silkolone trucks, Id wager there have been a few suppliers over the yrs too.

7. TheSecondComing Forum Addict

It's made by whoever wins the tenderfor that period, I'd think.....

8. AndrewF Forum Addict

theres a guy on the mr2 forums who really knows his stuff about oil (he's in the trade i nsome form) and he said that 90% of oils that claim to be synthetic are not in reality. motul and silkoline are trustworthy ones i believe.

9. prof Forum Addict

i guess that would be Oilman, he's on every forum except this one

think he gets a good deal on the silkoleen :lol: