Mk2 16v turnsover but wont start (UPDATE)

Discussion in '16-valve' started by yayo16v, Dec 28, 2005.

1. benthejettaman Forum Member

this may sound daft but have u got the leads on the right way round (id double check just to be on the safe side) then i would check ur timing

2. davecr32 Forum Member

have you checked for a good spark? you have nt replyed to that question.

sounds like it couldbea dodgy hall sender in the distributer. you can replace this seperatley.

3. yayo16v New Member

As in the right place on the dist? [:s]

sorry, yes there is a good spark mate. Does this mean its not a dodgy hall sender or it still could be even though i have a good spark? If so, any way of checking? [:$]
    Edited by: yayo16v

4. yayo16v New Member

For about a week and a half, and i have given it a good run and no joy. Cheers anyway.

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Spark plug gaps? Fuel Filter? A loose connection somewhere?

A quick check for the fueling, open the airbox in situe (i.e. release the top half), move the filter out the way, get someone to crank the engine, whilst they do that, gently lift the flap from underneath with your fingers (do not lift all the way up as they are very delicate).

See if that increases the engine speed whilst cranking.

6. yayo16v New Member

Took it to the garage and they said its the metering head that sits on the air box. It has little pressure and isnt distributing thefuel correctly. Was also told the car is onlyrunning on 2 and 4 (spark plugs i think he meant) and he demonstrated by pulling them out when car wasrunning and it made no difference, but pulling the other 2 out caused the car to cut out. He aslo loosend the nuts on the metering head and the petrol was just dribling out.

200 - 300 apparantly! [:^(]

Reading other threads im guessing its not easy to service the metering head and you are best getting a new one.

Is it easy to fit a new one? [:s]

Is as simple as taking the old one off and putting the new oneon?

Anyone know where to get a cheaper / reconditioned one?

Thankyou

7. yayo16v New Member

???????????????????????????????????????????????????????????? ???????????

8. gti_kev Forum Member

I'd try the scappies first mate, but if there is little fuel pressure, then maybe it's the fuel pump? check your getting good voltage to the pump! or maybe a blocked fuel filter? only a few quid from GSF!

Good luck

9. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Defo as above, go to a scrapyard and see what you can find, dont pay top whack for a new one when there should be a plentiful used supply.

Do they use lift pumps on Mk2's to get fuel out the tank and then onto the main pump? Have a look at these, or replace them if a secondhand metering head from another Mk2 16v does not solve the problem (lift pump and main pump will come to about 100 new, non genuine).

Checking the fuel filter should be the first port of call, cheap to replace ~ 10-15 I think.

10. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

MK2 has an in-tank fuel pump, check this forst. Then replace the fuel pump relay, and then the fuel filter. In fact I would do all 3 at the same time :lol:

The metering head is a pretty simple piece of engineering, I'd be surprised if it was knackered, perhaps a good clean & reset to factory settings may sort it.