Mk2 20vt Intercooler question.

Discussion in 'Turbocharged, Supercharged or Nitrous !' started by 1990, Aug 5, 2004.

1. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

OK, obviously i have an intercooler on my shopping list. Only trouble is I know nothing about them.

Righgits looks medium sized but fat.

Lee-GTI's looks big but thin

This subaru one looks tiny but the subaru will have more power than i ever will so would it suit?

What should I be looking for in a mk2 20vt intercooler?

A. The biggest size that will fit infront of a rado VR rad?

B. A certain sized/volume one can hold?

C. Something with certain sized outlets?

D. You thick t**t you should be after..........

2. WEZ

Wez Official Friday thread starter

B and C

3. Andy947 Forum Addict

I thin i'll either go cheapsskate but perfectly adequate merc sprinter, or if i have the cash nearr the time i'll go for a custom to fill the entire space in the front panel.

4. 1990

I'll be going cheapskate for sure!!! It will be an e-bay job I think.

If i were planning 225bhp could i use the IC off any car with similar power? Cossie etc..

5. WEZ

what about TT/s3/s4 etc intercooler??
    not fit in a mk2?

6. WEZ

okay- scratch that, it seems option A is best........

7. hayesey Forum Junkie

Big & thin is best.

I've got one off a 2wd cossie (OK, OK so thats not big & thin at all) which will fit perfectly in the bottom bit of my front bumper. I'm not too fussed about having a huge IC anyway as I'll be using water/methanol injection to really bring down the inlet temp.

perhaps a 4wd cossie IC would be better for a 20vt? G-Laders don't produce quite as much heat as a turbo does.

I wouldn't mind having a go at making a water/air chargecooler like someone mentions in another thread in here. Don't have the welding skills for it though.

8. WEZ

9. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

A genuine G60 non aircon IC is well upto the job!
    German Ebay will be your friend!

Alan

10. 1990

11. Jeff Forum Junkie

the thing with the scooby one etc, is that just because a car with a small one comes with more power doesnt mean its the best intercooler for the engine, or any other engine thats gonna make that power. - think about it why did they take it off?

One of the best mods you can make to a car with a top mounted IC like a scooby or a Sunny GTI-R is abigger front mounted intercooler - I've heard claims of 30bhp+ increases just by doing that and fitting a bigger exhaust! So a scooby one isnt really good enough for a scooby ;)

You can go too big, because the bigger it is the more air your turbo has to move, in theory. But I'm not sure the front of a mk2 is big enough to fit one thats too big? [:s]
    Edited by: Jeff

12. Jeff Forum Junkie

oh, think about which side of your engine bay you want the inlet and outlet to be - thats important too, because you've got to get the pipes to and from it,a nd you dont want miles of pipe, you might not have room for miles of pipe either!

most intercooler set ups go around the engine in a circle - from the turbo down one side to the IC, across the IC, and back up the other side of the engine to the throttle body. But others have the inlet and outlet on one side, with the pipes side by side. Depends which way your turbo and throttle body are facing I guess. Look at some pics of turbo engines and follow the pipe layout, you'll see what I mean then.

It never occurred to me until it was pointed out, that the position of the inlet and outlet were important too!

13. 1990

Cheers Jeff.

Do all 20vt engines have the TB and Turbo in the same place?

14. Jeff Forum Junkie

thats what I dont know, hence the slightly vague post! As far as I recall every one I've seen has it going out to the nearside from the turbo, into an intercooler, across the front of the car and back up to the throttle, but dont quote me on it because I dont know all that much about 20vTs, what I wrote above was what I know about turbos / intercoolers in general.

15. 1990

What IC is going on yours?

16. Andy947 Forum Addict

The inlet and outlet of the cooler is dependant on which engine you use, the s3 and tt are opposite to the mk4 engines.

17. Jeff Forum Junkie

Mine has a rallye intercooler, which had to be found because its orginal one had long since been removed to save weight when the g60 was removed and the vr6 in NA form put in.

rallye intercoolers are good, but if you arent lucky enough to be able to get hold of one easily, then it would be cheaper to have one made than pay what some people want for it! Dont know the suitability for your conversion either [:s]

18. 1990

19. AMY

Amy Forum Member

Nope, mine is to the left of the engine, whereas i think richs is to the right ...

[​IMG]

20. 1990

Yes your right Amy!!

Maybe i should but that to the end of the shopping list [:s]
    [​IMG]