Mk2 8v block with abf 16v head stalling problem

Discussion in '16-valve' started by Ross-k, Nov 12, 2015.

1. blis Forum Member

RJ, so why is my second nipple on throttle connected to the base of ISV? I better look up your docs again!

2. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Just double checked in ETKA and the small nipple on the throttle body actually goes to the warm air flap on the airbox. its the mk2 pcv which has 2 vacuum lines from the throttle body, my bad! So that'll be why yours is there I expect, as its long enough to reach the PCV.

So the the nipple on the ISV housing should go to the PCV valve nipple, assuming yours has one. some dont, I assume those are the SEAT ADL versions? then theres the one on the side for the FPR, one on the rear or the brake servo hose for the ECU, and the throttle body ones can be blanked off if you are not using the warm air flap and/or the carbon canister :)

3. Ross-k New Member

Hello, I have a mk2 air box on mine for whatever reason so as far as I am aware there is no warm air flap on my airbox?

I think I will replace my ECU vac line and the FPR vac line.

Is it right for a hose to come from under my isv and go to the FPR then?

I don't have anyone available to help with holding the revs to listen to the isv so I will just check the fuse.

If I blank off both of the nipples on the TB then the car will die whenever the revs drop. I have to keep the one that's uncovered right now or I have no chance of it idling at all

4. rubjonny

by the looks of it you have a diesel airbox in yours, they dont have one. dont worry though, as the warm air system does bugger all in UK climate on injection cars. I've not had one for over 10 years!

yes the vac line you have from isv housing to fpr is how it should be, and you can check isv just with the ignition on :)

5. Ross-k New Member

So really the only problems that you can see is the vac lines or the isv? I changed the isv not long ago but I'll have a look at the fuse as well

6. rubjonny

aye visually its just the vac line unblocked which should be blocked that i can see wrong, the fact it wont idle with it capped suggests isv issue or perhaps wiring to the tps/idle switch, or bad vac line to the ecu. lots of other potential reasons as well, but start with the above and see how you go.

ideally you want to get vagcom plugged into the car so you can check for codes and read all the ecu measuring blocks to see what the sensors are reporting in real time. this thread has the abf label files for vagcom plus it also has the procedure for testing the idle switch:
    http://www.clubgti.com/showthread.php?199583

7. Ross-k New Member

I've had vcds on it to check before but if only threw up one code which I can't remember so I'll put it back on tonight and have another look.

I'll have a look at the other possibilities as well and get back to you.

Thanks

8. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That is a Corrado VR6 airbox. Not that it matters for this problem.

9. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

That code may the one to send you down the correct path.

Ross_K ABF layout.JPG

You seem to have everything right from the picture, and you have a later Digifant 3.2 manifold.
    Usually I have found, if the idle speed switch is not closing or the base throttle stop has moved over time and the ISCV is dead, you would need additional air bypass to keep the engine running. And that port is one way of doing so. If the ldle speed system is working then the ABF ECU is happy to maintain target speed from cold start at 1100rpm to warm idle at 900 or rpm.

The points labelled is typically how most UK ABF conversions are plumbed up. Not highlighted is the FPR vacuum sense and the PCV low load vacuum line.

By the way as the Corrado VR6 airbox has no provisions for a MAT sensor, where did you plug this to?

Please let us know what you code you found.

10. rubjonny

ah i see the lugs for the MAF now. the IAT sensor looks to be fitted to the back of the airbox somehow, the red plug?

11. Ross-k New Member

The red plug on the back of the air box is a IAT yes. I changed the plug yesterday as the wires going into it were badly frayed

12. Ross-k New Member

I think I have found the problem. The number 15 fuse has been fried. I'll hopefully get a replacement fuse in there in the next day or two

13. Ross-k New Member

[​IMG]

Anybody any idea what this fuse is called? I can't find it anywhere. Is it possible to replace with a spade connector?

14. Ross-k New Member

15. blis Forum Member

The regular two pole fuses work...
    APR_lg.jpg

16. Ross-k New Member

I tried one anyway, I just wasn't sure and didn't there potentially being a fire. Good news is it works now, I don't even need to give any throttle to start although the idle doesn't stay too steady, it's a little up and down but much better than it dying!

17. blis Forum Member

Sweet :).

have a good listen for air leaks, you should only hear the ISV opening and letting the mix lean up. Any other air leaks should be tended too and let the ECU learn.

Check your grounds near battery, on side of head and under steering column, ensure there is continuity and little resistance.

18. Ross-k New Member

I am going to swap the hose to the ecu and the FPR vac line anyway. Any idea what diameters they are?

I'll give the grounds a good look over but I think the slight roughness could be because I haven't blanked off the nipple on the throttle body.

Thanks to everyone who helped, it is really appreciated :)

19. rubjonny

good news :) its 3.5 i/d vacuum hose, can get silicone stuff off ebay or vw do the nice over-braided type stuff, N 02035327 - 11.18+VAT per meter. ECU line should be cut to 1m length, FPR hose should be 200mm. If you do pop to VW they do a cap suitable for the small throttle body nipple, 028130229A at 2.28+VAT. The large one can be capped off with 049133335 at 2.91+VAT

dont buy aftermarket versions of the over-braid vacuum line I made this mistake and it went porous in less than a year. (cheeky seller had a photo of genuine hose in his ebay advert!!)

20. Ross-k New Member

I might just go to VW and see if I can get it all. This will sound like a stupid question but would any VW retailer be able to get me parts or would it have to be a VW only shop? I only have Arnold Clark VW fairly near.