Mk2 8v vs Mk4 GTi ...........

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by vr6highline28, Feb 26, 2005.

1. vr6highline28 Forum Member

anyone know what the form is between these 2 cars ...... was cut up by a Mk4 GTi tonight when taking the 8v for a spin and just wondered if it would have shown him the ropes had it not been so wet ! His wasn't a 2.0 litre which I know is massively underpowered for the weight ...... it was probably my Club GTi sticker in the rear window which did it maybe ? ! ? ! ?

2. vr6highline28 Forum Member

ohhh ...... n i wish i had had the vr6 at that point !!!!

3. Seraph Banned

figures for the mk4 are 10.2 for the sprint, and 121 for max.
    Id say the mk2 should have the handles on it tbh!
    Still dont spose you need a powerful car to cut someone up?!

4. vr6highline28 Forum Member

wots the 0-60 ? yeah know what you mean about cutting me up ! in fact i caught him up about a mile later and then followed him into town (on my way home) ...... one lesson i learnt from years ago is never cut peeps up near where you live as they are bound to see your car again !!! Would be interested to know the 0 - 60 though since i presume its a 115 bhp one ?????

5. Seraph Banned

sorry mate, sprint is my shorthand for 0-60!
    Certain the 2.0gti only came in one guise...115bhp

6. Andy947 Forum Addict

Which version was it........ not very clear is it......

7. vr6highline28 Forum Member

10 seconds for a GTi ?...... thats pants !!!!! I'm sure the 8 valver pokes that out in just over 8 secs !!!! not too bad for a 15 year old motor ! I think my Mk3 Driver does 0-60 in about 12 secs so not much slower than the GTi !!! having said that the VR6 is a wee bit different thank god !!!

8. vr6highline28 Forum Member

just had the GTi badge on it (i thought the 2.0 litre ones had 2.0 badge to signify its superior performance - or not as the case maybe !!!) .....

9. Andy947 Forum Addict

the 2.0 one was the slowest of the lot

There was the 1.8T and 1.8 20v non turbo aswell

10. vr6highline28 Forum Member

oh well sounds like they are pretty pants ...... i've really noticed that since getting the 8 valver some pricks just wanna race you as opposed to being in my VR6 when things are pretty normal !!!! must be that 'must beat that 15 year old banger' feeling !

11. Seraph Banned

yeah, the 2.0lgti has gained something of a reputation for letting the side down!
    As andy said, its the slowest of the lot!
    Infact its, no quicker than the base model diesel gt tdi!
    was the tailgate gti badge in silver, im sure this indicates the 2.0l gti.

12. ou52hkh New Member

like already said it does depend on which model it is! As the GTI badge is worn by 3 petrol and one deisel version.... The colour of the badge is is not a good way of identifying the model as VW changed the red "i" and silver "i" through the years. All i know is that i have had 3 mk2 GTIs and yes they were all good.....but I now have a 1.8t GTI its been checked on the rollers in standard trim and is pushing 162bhp... And it would out handle ( santa monica alloys ) outbrake and out perform any 8v golf ;)

13. darrynK

darrynK Forum Addict

mk4 2.0 GTI = not a gti :)

14. vwsean Forum Member

my mk2 out performs my m8s mk4 gti down country roads

15. bobski Forum Member

mk4 is pants except r32....ive got a mk11 valver and have owned a mk4 gti before....and it was really slow it was the 2.0 although was quality inside....but i say u canny beat the mk11 golf gti....was the best of the lot

16. Paul Forum Member

2.0L is pittifuly slow!! 115BHP is no fun in a car that weighs as much as a MK4.

The 1.8 20V non turbo (found in early MK4`s only) kicks out 125bhp and the 1.8 20V Turbo V pre 2001 kicks out 150BPH, post 2001 (maybe early 2002) they are 180BPH.

My Mk4 1.8T is at about 195BHP at the mo :)

17. eloquent Forum Member

I've always understood this on Mk4's:

Silver GTI badge = 1.8 non turbo
    Siver GT and red I badge = 1.8T
    Silver 2.0GTI badge = well pretty self explanatory...

Though I read VW did mess around with this later on.

18. Paul Forum Member

This is by no means an accurate way to tell, there badging is random at best.

19. ou52hkh New Member

Mk4 is pants except r32? i think you watch to much tv mate. 1.8t 150hp and 180 bhp are fine cars.. just because they were not the fastest hot hatch at the time vw got slated. The press love to pic holes in anything vw does and unless it is perfect it is rubbished. [:x] I went in a civic type r the other day and yeah it quicker than my 1.8t but hey it aint no vw and it never will be.....

20. Golfgirl Forum Member

So by owning just one Mk 4 you think that allows you to make a sweeping statement that ALL Mk 4's are pants?! Have you driven any of the other models PROPERLY?

Most of the people that slate the Mk 4 probably haven't even been in all (if any) of the models let alone driven them properly.....