Mk2 demister modification?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Gaz37, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

I was wondering how possible it would be to somehow modify the demister to allow air to be blown on the windscreen & side windows (via the adjustable side dash vents as opposed to the useless little built in ones) at the same time?

I'm guessing it would involve modifying both the control flaps and air ducting, has this ever been tried before or would it be more hassle than it's worth?

2. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

More hassle than it`s worth TBH...

For the windscreen the air is directed straight up out of the airbox, and a flap directs it out to one side to feed the side vents.

3. gunit-84 Forum Member

maybe a more powerfull fan is a better option? any ideas as mine is rubbish just like everyone elses.

4. alexisblades99 Forum Member

where would you get a more powerful fan from? mine's very wheezy too.

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

My fan is ok I just find it annoying having to switch between w/screen & side vents, it would be so much easier to have both blowing together

6. s1m0n Forum Member

I also have been considering this, I looked at my spare dash and it would not be too hard, some GRP over a corrugated card former would do the trick (to re-route the air).

I'm going to give it a go over c mass as I want to fit a new matrix anyway

7. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

If you can take piccies of how you do it it would make a useful "how to" thread:thumbup:

8. gunit-84 Forum Member

yeah and if anyone knows whether we could have the fan motors rewound or something to make them more powerful, it could turn out to be really helpfull!

9. Tomo IOW Forum Member

been thinking bout this, as the windscreen is terrible at demisting.gonna try and route decent air flow to the dash vents

10. PhatVR6 Forum Junkie

just crack open the window a tiny bit, let the moisture out.

11. danTbone Forum Member

get a mrk4 polo or seat of the same year with a four speed motor in it . its a the same fitment as the golf but an extra speed just wire it up lose the first speed because golf has only three speed and use 2,3,4 as the fourth is more faster works a treat in mine .
    hope you can understand that, im not very good at explaining things

12. gunit-84 Forum Member

sounds a good idea, any pictures?

13. danTbone Forum Member

sorry no pics i put it in a few years ago ,it looks the same as the golf blower

14. nealey Forum Junkie

Im sure i have read somewhere a certain post by the famous RJ where he mentioned using a corrado fan, resistor pack, controls and adding an extra wire to power the 4th speed.

I will have a look for info on it but i may be way off the mark with my suggestion.

***EDIT***

Here is the thread where it is mentioned!
    http://www.clubgti.com/forum/showthread.php?t=110939&highlight='corrado+heater'

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  15. StuMc

StuMc Moderator and Regional Host - Manchester Moderator

Back OT for a mo; I`ve just been looking over an old airbox, and realised there is a really simple way of doing this...

For those of you who`ve never had the pleasure of a burst matrix, and have thus never seen inside the airbox, it works like so;

There are three flaps in the box to control air direction, connected to the control sliders by three cables.

The lower slider, obviously, is for hot/cold. With the slider fully left, the V-shaped inner flap allows air to flow straight to the front of the airbox, bypassing the matrix.

Fully to the right, and the flow is diverted across the matrix, then to the front of the box. There is of course therefore, infinite options of where this flap is placed to provide varying temperatures.

At the front of the box there are two further flaps. One mounted on a vertical axis, and rotating through a horizontal plane. The other mounted on a horizontal axis, and rotating through a vertical plane. These are connected to the flow direction slider.

Fully left, and the vertically mounted flap is `open`, allowing air to flow into the vent ducting. At this point the horizontal flap is in the upper position.

As you move the slider to the right, the vertical flap `closes`partially, allowing air to also enter the footwell ducts.

Keep going and the vertical flap closes completely, and full air flow goes to the footwells.

Finally as you move to the fully right, the horizontal flap lowers to block off the footwells, thus allowing the air to flow to the windscreen.

The solution, therefore, is remove the vertical flap, and disconnect the cable to the horizontal flap.

That way you will have airflow to the windscreen and vents all the time, and if you want windsceen only, then close each vent indivdually.

Simple, but not elegant of course since you lose some functionality...

The direction slider is rendered redundant, and if you like to keep your feet warm, then you`ve lost that too, but it`s a way to achieve what you want.

16. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Thanks Stu.

Might have to give this a try, possibly with the fan upgrade Dan suggested.

17. gunit-84 Forum Member

some pictures please Gaz! could turn it into a sticky!

18. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

yeah this works fine, the early corrado/passat loom is the same shape as a mk2 one so its a like for like swap, just make sure its from one with the horizontal sliders. obviously its not going to make your oem fan go faster, but it should work great with the SEAT/Polo fan.

Before you mess about modifying your control box, check the vents on the dash itself. my mates MK2 had really poor screen demisters, and it turned out that the vent had split away from the dash all the way along the back. Re-glued it and that did the trick. Also with the small vents on the side, put some new foam on the joins between them and the dash, that will stop any air escaping out the gaps.

finally check the flaps in your airbox are in 1 piece, mine were in a right state. bits of black foamy stuff flying out of the vents every time you put the blower on is a clue that the flaps are falling apart

19. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

IF I ever get round to doing & it's a success I'll post a "how to" but those are both very big IFs

20. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I get **** ALL air going onto my screen. I think I need to take the dash off and would consider changing mine so it does just the windscreen and side ones without any other adjustment. I'd only want to keep the temperature control and different speeds.

Gaz, have you done yours yet? If not, why not, you lazy ****!!

In fact i'm going to start doing it tomorow, kids to bed, dad to car. Sorted.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2009