Mk2 demister modification?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Technical Queries' started by Gaz37, Nov 24, 2009.

1. s1m0n Forum Member

I've just done had this with mine, the de-mist duct had come away from the underside of the dash allowing most of the air to escape and the foam at the ends was falling to pieces too (allowing further leaks).

The other join to check is between the heater box output and the bottom of the dash duct, the foam joiner on mine was in poor condition with lots of air leaking out.

I've just fixed this problem on the Corrado, I used some pieces of MK3 Golf door membrane, it's closed cell foam, about 4mm thick, seems to have done the trick.

Have your MK 2 dash's got an air divider inside the windscreen ducting?

My MK2 does not seem to have one and all the air comes out onto the centre of the screen leaving annoying 6" foggy sections each side (unless the fan is on full blast all the time)

All the MK1 dash's I've had to bits had air guides inside the duct to stop this. I thought maybe it had fallen apart and come out (on my MK2) but I can't see any evidence that it was ever in there!

Has anyone tried the MK3 fan or other parts? I don't want to do a MK3 dash conversion but the HVAC system on my MK3 16v is just sooo much nicer than the MK2

Actually by cracking a window your slightly decreasing the air pressure inside the car (fast moving air passing the opening will literally suck), which is allowing your HVAC system to work more effectively.

Air moves from positive to negative, the greater the delta the greater the volume and/or speed of the flow

In this respect the MK2 (Golf) is (slightly) better than the Corrado, the HVAC on the Corrado really does suck! On mine I improved the air exits (behind the sides of the rear bumper using Impreza parts), then added some vents to the parcel shelf.

These mods have resulted in a minuscule decrease in cabin pressure but enough that the HVAC is far more effective (both in passive and assisted mode)

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  2. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Erm, well, it's sort of on my "to do" list[:$]

My driver's seatbelt has been jamming (so that I can't always undo it) for 2 weeks & I haven't fixed that yet, if I haven't fixed something that could cause me to die, trapped in a burning car, I can't see the demister getting done in a hurry.:lol:

Besides it was raining last night & I don't have a garage.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2009
  3. 1990

1990 Paid Member Paid Member

I've just took my dash out and i'm missing the bit that directes the air from the flap to the dash, thanks to the numpty that put the car back together.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 13, 2009
  4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

[mythbusters]well there's your problem[/mythbusters] :lol:

5. Gaz37 The Grouch. Paid Member

Holy s**t, looking at 1990's pictures there's no way that I'll be doing that, I'd never get that lot back together in the correct order.[:^(]

I'll just stick to wiping my windows:lol:

6. G-Man Forum Junkie

My mates mk2 golf has an uprated fan/motor and is so much better than mine; but will ask what parts were used as he bought it from a known VAG tuner.

7. Mk2 16v Turbo Forum Member

If you got a Golf instruction manual on page 51 it tells you how to demist windscreen & side windows at the same time :thumbup:

[​IMG]

8. cuppatea

cuppatea Forum Member

im currently driving round with dash bits missing on mine until i have time to get the dash right out. i had the small pieces of foam flying out of my vents too as the vertical flap in the heaterbox had lost all its foam which left three large holes in the metal flap so i covered them up and used some sticky draft excluder to seal round the edges. this still didnt improve the windscreen demisting especially the o/s. the two outer vents on the dash at the bottom of screen had nothing coming out. i assumed it was old flap foam blocking them, turns out my dash is splitting quite badly at the very back at both sides where i cant see and air is escaping there. we have a spare dash upstairs at work which i looked at it was taken from a scrapper over 8 years ago but this is also just starting to do the same.