Mk2 Golf 8v twin carb conversion Help!!!

Discussion in 'Carburettor' started by philwept_33, Nov 16, 2004.

1. luke w

luke w Forum Junkie

I'm doing the same to my 1.8 gu engine, got the carbs, inlet manifold and linkages for 200. I'm also trying to figure out the problem of the bulkhead, was thinking about putting an airbox in the bulkhead, then have a cold air feed coming back into the engine bay. I'll get started in a couple of weeks and let you know how I get on.

2. jamez Forum Member

i have done a very similar conversion to my mk1. to close the injectors i removed the old ones and had a mate weld up the hole at the inlet of the injector. i then cut off the end that would pertrude into the inlet port as it would otherwise be in the way of the air/fuel mix entering the engine, and fitted them with new o-rings from vw, as a leak here on carbs will make it very hard to balance the lot right.i did not what to have the injector ports permenently closed as i also have an idea about using them to inject "gas" in the future.
    as for the bulk head clearence, is it the bulk head its self or the piece at the top that prevents air from the engine compartment entering the cars air conditioning?? if its the top section, you could cut this to a good fit, and use the air tro the grill at the bottom of the screen to feed the carbs if you see what i mean.. also as a last tought, if the vacume connection on the manifold is in the way of the 4th injector, i also had one but removed it as i don't run vacume advance with my carbs, as the vacume is so strong it constantly runs advance even at startup......

3. storm81 Forum Member

Give me a couple of days and i will see if i can find some details for you, found some brass plugs which screw in perfectly and are only a quid or so each, now where did i put the details [:s]

4. philwept_33 Forum Member

Cheers for all your help guys. My car going in the garage on saturday and i really have to have some plans in my head as to what is going to have to be done.

storm81 if you could please get back to me once you know if you can find, or tell me where to get those brass bolts from that would be a huge help. A

jamez if you could PLEASE let me know how you had the hole in your inlet manifold removed , e.g. welded over that would be great. When talking about the clearance between the carbs/airfilter/ and bulk head i mean that its a damm tight fit anyway. But the brake servo to the left completly stops me from putting an air filter on completly. So maybe a shorter inlet manifold made up or????
    Keep the suggestions comming - much appreciated! :)

5. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

alright m8. :)

your gonna need some heat shielding for the exhaust manifold/carbs,the problem is the heat boils the fuel-not good.

as far as the bulkhead clearance...
    you can either go for shorter trumpets,or cut an oblong hole in the bulk head scuttle panel,then fabricate a box section into the heater motor area,bolted to the 2 outside trumpets.

what about using filter socks?
    pic of mine here [:D]

and have you got everything you need as far as facet pump/inline filter-pressure regulater? :)

Edited by: riley

6. philwept_33 Forum Member

Yer i havnt got a fuel pressure regulator just yet but thats on the cards. My friend of mine is making me some carbon door cards like the all smiles ones ( but better - hehe ) and the left over strip we are going to use to sandwich between the 4 branch exhaust manifold and the carbs as im aware heat will be rising rapidly and thats not a good thing. Was goingto go for manifold heat wrap but cant afford it until i physically have the car running.

As far as clearance goes, there are no trumpets on there at all and still the left carb is just touching the brake servo.? So unless either the brake servo is relocated to the from of the car ( which my mechanic is not happy about doing ) or basically get shorter inlet manifolds so the carbs are closer to the head. But im worrying about a clearance problem with the exhaust manifold then.

7. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

have you got a pic of the lump in the car m8? :)

8. philwept_33 Forum Member

Sorry i was ment to take a pic today, i will firstthing tommorow and put it up tomorrow evning. I may be able to find one mid process but thats not much help to you really.
    I will post one up tomorrow.
    Cheers for your help once again

9. Riley

Riley Forum Addict

aye,get a pic up m8,i was just thinking...

could you remove the servo from the bracket,and elongate the mounting holes a little?
    as in to try and slide the servo over a bit?

got ya pm,jus that i replied here [:D]

10. baker Forum Member

hi carnt you use a servo from a 1.6 i think they are smaller and will give you the clearance you need [:D] as for the clearance of the bulk head [xx(] the best bet would be to fab up a box to weld into your bulk head like the mini boys who run a webber they use a battery box from the mini floor and weld it into place i think this will be the way i go ;) and then use a cold air feed to it !!!! but then i would just like to slap a cossflow heas on :)

11. greg s Forum Member

PM me to buy a new Filter King fuel pressure regulator. :)

12. jamez Forum Member

i got a mate to weld up the hole in my manifold as it is cast them machined aluminium, but then he works for daf trucks.........heres a pic of it..
    [​IMG]

and then the compleated installiation, and as it turns out these dcnf webers are from a lambo (sounds beter) or an old jag

[​IMG]
    note the servo on the other side..
    and i would seriously advise wrapping your manifold before you install it otherwise its almoast an impossible job. without it you will understand vapour lock really fast...

13. philwept_33 Forum Member

yer i guess using a 1.6 servo is another option, im wondering if i were to relocate the servo to the right hand side of the endgine bay would there be enough room for this. And im presuming i will need the pipes replacing for longer ones.

That would avoid havinga custom inlet manifold made up as that will be a big mission to get it right and the carbs sitting rite.

So you guys are saying i really should get some manifold heat wrap for the 4 branch then because otherwise the fuel in the carbs at the time will heat up ( not a good thing )

Anyone know anywere other than demon tweeks that i can get it from that doesnt charge like 80+ to do it all.

I also have got 2 huge cold air intake tubes to go to the air filter to the carbs directly from the fog light holes in the top. Should get me at least some cool air in there

Will put some pics up tonight so you guys can see how far ive got!

14. baker Forum Member

yeah be a good idea to wrap the manifold it will keep your carb from heating up and your engine bay heat down a bit also i think i read some place it gives a all so tiny bit of power [:D] lucky for me i can get the same sort of stuff from work for free ;) its used to lag hot oil hoses

15. storm81 Forum Member

I have a new 7" brake servo if its any good to you? was meant for a mk1 golf but if you can put a mk2 servo on a mk1 im sure you can put a mk1 servo on a mk2

16. Carbs4ever Forum Member

Bet that thing roaaaaaaaarrrrrrrss Jamez :lol:

17. philwept_33 Forum Member

pics on their way up in just a sec

18. philwept_33 Forum Member

Ok so here are the pics taken minutes ago. As you can see there is very limited space really. If anyone has any of that heat insulating wrap i would be more than willing to purchase some from you. As long as im not looking at like 125+ like on demon tweaks. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ive got some more upclose ones if any one needs them, dont wana fill the page up with pics thou for the unfortunate 56k users

19. philwept_33 Forum Member

20. philwept_33 Forum Member

Anyone got an suggestions?