Mk2 golf top mounts

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by simonmk2, Jun 5, 2008.

1. simonmk2 Forum Member

Hi i'm in need of changeing my front top mounts and was wandering what the best type is? do passet top mounts work cus i think they maybe cheaper? I know g60 are slighty stiffer but do they fit? my golf is lowered on coilovers and just loves eating topmounts!!

2. Dan. Forum Member

I too am also looking to upgrade top mounts, have read freq ask q's.

just wanted to be sure ive got koni dapers (adjustable) shocks with eibech springs, from what ive read i need these parts from this link: http://www.aufg48.dsl.pipex.com/mk3strut.jpg

parts n.o. 24,23,25,28,21,26 [:s]

these will fit onto the top of the spring and damper?

can those in the know please confirm this for me before i spend my pennies on it[:D]

thanks Dan

3. Dan. Forum Member

bump can any one help us?

4. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

You both need mk3 top mounts, way better and stronger

[​IMG]

Here is parts numbers, 50 or so quid for genuine parts

mk3 top mounts

bearing:****1J0 412 249
    special nut: 1H0 412 365a
    rubber top mount:357 412 331a
    top plate: 357 412 319b
    topnut:***n 903 536 03

5. Aphex Forum Junkie

Don't suppose they'd fit a mk1 do you know?

6. Gareth83 Forum Junkie

no they wont

7. Dan. Forum Member

Cheers Sambo luverly jubberly.

will go and order my bits from vw this week

8. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

No worries

9. mexicorich Forum Member

You all need Bonrath top mounts if you can find them
    Mk1 occasionally apear on E-bay
    They may still be readily available for MK2 perhaps?

10. simonmk2 Forum Member

where can you source bonrath topmounts from?

11. sambo Paid Member Paid Member

At shows like inters, i had a pair in past, not any better or longer lasting than mk3 imho

12. perryqhill Forum Member

I recently put a set of G60 ones on and I'm not sure they're too much better than the ones I took off. I also had a look at my mates off a Mk3 Gti and they look much much stronger in comparison, almost solid - I should have went to the trouble of going to VW and buying the individual bits needed.

13. Dan. Forum Member

been down the dealer to order the top spring plate and there are two different ones.

can any one tell me which one i need?

the Etka page in this thread shows this part no. is this the correct one 357 412 341 A ?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2008
  14. Dan. Forum Member

bump realy need to get these bits on order to get car rolling please help

15. steve r

steve r Forum Member

357 412 341 A is the correct number for the spring disc to go with the mk3 style top mounts.

If you are running coilovers you don't need it though.

16. Dan. Forum Member

cool thanks steve r, no running koni shocks and eibach springs.

will get parts on order

17. Dan. Forum Member

just thought id let people know, if your thinking of doing this, dont unless youve got coilovers. The mk3 spring plate doesnt fit the mk2 springs (smaller and passes through center of spring). If you use the mk2 spring plate it doesnt seat very nice to the mk3 bearing(its narrower at top than mk3 one and the bearing case is only plastic so will be puttting a lot more pressure / weight through bearing on a smaller area, dont know if it will hold up to it.

although you could fabricate a spring plate out of a mk2 and a mk3 spring plate (cut both down and weld together).
    what i would be worried about is how strong this would be and what would mot man have to say about it if he sees it?

any one got any other sugestions as to a sprig plate that might fit and work?

18. steve r

steve r Forum Member

Thats odd, i have this set up on my G60 which is runing standard style shocks/springs. I bought all the parts from C&R, they call it their 'comfort kit'. Might be worth a call to them.

19. steve r

steve r Forum Member

I've just a deeper look on ETKA and found a spring cap 1H0 412 341. Its listed for use on cars with heavy duty suspension.

Shown here as item 8A (clickable thumbnail) with the mk2 and mk3 style top mounts

[​IMG]

Item 8 is the same spring cap as used on the mk2 golf so i'd expect 8A to fit the mk2 springs.

20. Dan. Forum Member

hi steve have had a look at you etka page,

there are two 8a there the first one has virtually the same pt no as mk3 item i brought using the part nos on the original etka link on this thread when i ordered part vw said that pt no had been updated slightly from 357 412 341a to 1J0412341

the second 8a down page has the same part no as the one i orderd originally the 8a descriptions are the same as each other in box.

so i dont think they will fit, will give c and r call later on and see if they can help

thanks for your help