Mk2 golf top mounts

Discussion in 'Chassis' started by simonmk2, Jun 5, 2008.

1. Tim8v

Tim8v Forum Member

I am slightly confused by this thread, could someone list the definative part list I will need to put these MK3 top mounts on my MK2? I have konis and lowering springs. I am not being lazy but there seems to be differing opinions as to what is needed. Thanks in advance.

2. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

just so i can find this topic again :)

3. Dan. Forum Member

timS2 it wont work on standard springs only on coil overs.

I am putting some koni damper adjustable with eibech springs on my car and bought all the bits, the spring top plate from mk3 is too small and the mk2 item doesnt marry up to the mk3 bearing very nicely at all.

Steve r mentioned c&r might do a top plate or set up ( called comfort kit aparently) that will fix above problem. i never got around to phoning them and went for standard mk2 16v top mounts.

If you find a way of doing it let me know. Would like to be proved wrong as the mk3 parts looked a lot nicer quality than mk2 parts.

4. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

Just to correct Dan's post on this, you can use the MK3 GTI top mounts on standard MK2 springs.

With the MK3 GTI/Heavy duty top spring cap, there are 2 sizes for the MK3 depending on the age of the car. The early ones are the same size as MK2 spring caps, which are larger than the later ones. If you have mk2 caps now, you need the early cap part number that steve r posted above, plus the MK3 top nut, upper retaining plate and the top mount kit obviously:

1H0 412 341 - MK3 GTI upper spring plate, large size (early MK3 and MK2 springs)
    1J0 412 341 - MK3 GTI upper spring plate, small size (late MK3 springs)
    1H0 412 365 A - threaded bush
    N 105 352 01- top nut
    357 412 319 B - upper retaining plate

edit: corrected, its the mk2 springs that are larger diameter!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2011
  5. geeteethree Forum Member

Just picked up the above parts from local dealership, thought I would add the charged prices, exc VAT. Thanks RJ :thumbup:

1H0 412 341 MK3 GTI upper spring plate, large size 15.48 each
    1H0 412 365 A threaded bush 1.73 each
    N 105 352 01 top nut 1.54 each
    357 412 319 B upper retaining plate 5.37 each

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
  6. pj_sibley

pj_sibley Forum Member

That's pretty much exactly what I paid about a month ago at Swindon VW for the same parts :thumbup:

A well worth upgrade for any Mk2.

7. Ditchyboy Forum Member

i am getting confused by all thats said above. I was going to get the G60 top mounts from Big boys toys as an upgrade to go with my koni shocks and unknown springs (maybe eibach springs when i get cash) and i am unsure whether the above will be ok as some people are saying that they do not fit that well. is one of the above lists the correct part numbers and has any one got them fitted on theres?

thanks

8. andynotts77 Forum Member

just to confirm before i buy some.. if im running coilovers i just need the strut top only?? not the bearings n springplates??

9. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

the above numbers are 100% correct for MK2 Golf springs, i have a pair on the front of my mk23 and have been happily driving it for nearly a year, no clunks or knocking noises.

andy if you have coilovers then you dont need the spring plates, but you do need the bearing, top mount, threaded nut and the retaining plate

10. numbnuts Forum Member

So I might be doing this on my mk2 with coilovers, I don't need the spring plates right? Also from that pic, i guess one is the mk2 and the other the mk3 for comparison?
    Thanks

11. danster Forum Addict

Yes, the old mk2 top mounts are at the two items at the top of the pic. :thumbup:

12. Doddsy Forum Member

I'll be fitting mk3 beefy top mounts to standard mk2 springs and dampers. Cheers for info.

13. WAK

wak Forum Member

Old topic, but, using the part numbers above I bought some top spring caps for my mk2, they fit the spring but they are too big and slide down over the shaft of the strut... Now I ordered these from vw at 18 odd each plus vat and because I ordered them don't think I can get my money back... Which are the correct part numbers for mk2 top spring plates on the front. I've bought so many wrongly advertised parts for this car it's getting beyond a joke!! Just want to drive the darned thing!!

Any help would be much appreciated!!

Cheers

14. MUSHY 16V

MUSHY 16V Moderator Staff Member Moderator

they are ment to slid over the strut shaft when fitted to mk3 top mounts as the bearing sits on top of it not any good if your fitting mk2 mounts

the mk2 spring plate is 191 412 341 or you get the g60 one 357 412 341 both should be the same as far as i know

see below for any other mk2 parts you may need

[​IMG]

15. WAK

wak Forum Member

Bugger, I've got G60 top mounts!!

I also got the threaded bush and top nut, so all I need is the mk3 bush and bearing??

Cheers

(Calmed down now lol)

16. MUSHY 16V

i'll post one for all the mk3 parts in a min
    the one on the other page is mine

one thing to bear in mind with the mk3 parts is it may sit a bit higher than with mk2 top mounts

17. WAK

wak Forum Member

Oh, how much higher, my car is only on 30mm springs... Don't want loads of reverse rake or whatever the hipsters call it!!

18. MUSHY 16V

not sure to be honest
    as i fitted g60 top mounts to mine in the end

19. fasteddie

fasteddie Banned

He knows :thumbup:

Mk3 mounts are all wrong in a mk2 :thumbd:

20. WAK

wak Forum Member

So I need the mk3 upper retaining plate as well or does the mk2 one fit?? Cheers