Mk2 GTi Syncro Build - Operation MOT

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Savagesam, Jan 12, 2020.

1. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I was going to copy the one made in the members section but it seems the screen and the code clash.

What’s this openhaldex you speak of?

2. dodgy

dodgy Paid Member Paid Member

Mk3 dash? Electronic speedo and rev counter possibly Sam?

3. NateS2

NateS2 Paid Member Paid Member

Ahh yeah I forgot about that one. Should be able to fix it if its a code error, I'll have a look. OpenHaldex lets you keep the OEM controller and interface with it via CAN

4. Savagesam

Definitely not Mk3 dash. And I wanted to keep it stock tbh, which is why I looked into the corsa speedo thing. Rev counter isn’t an issue luckily.

I’d love to keep my 16v 160mph clocks

dodgy likes this.
  5. Savagesam

It seems the code doesn’t reflect the screen used. Which was the problem I had anyways. And the circuit diagram is a bit pants.

oh really? Where do I find info on it? I googled it earlier but nothing came up :(

well I’ve found this brilliant guide on GitHub: https://github.com/ABangingDonk/OpenHaldex

this looks like a great option, and only relying on engine speed is great as the 20v Ecu handles that, mean no need for ABS etc like I was planning. If my understanding is correct anyways.

I’m not a fan of having to run an app on my phone, like you say, I’d like it on the dash or something.

This is a great idea tho, and seems pretty easy to wire in, I have no haldex loom from the plug back so I’ll just create something with that incorporated.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  6. NateS2

Re the corsa speedo, spoke to John about a month or so ago, obviously there the pulse difference between the speedo and the gearbox sender. Unfortunately they're not re-programmable so you'd have to use an Microcontroller or similar to quadrupole the output from the gearbox sender, could be integrated into the Haldex controller tbf.

Yes thats it! It not a finished project its just an experiment someone did to see if it would work, which it does! He's done a video showing the app working I think. Could easily fit it on a single PCB behind a button blank. Then you could have a screen or a Digifix style bar graph showing lock percentage which would be pretty cool.
    It needs a little more development but I've not got a Haldex car that I can sniff data from at the minute, unless anyone's willing ;)

7. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

to get it on the road just use mk3 clocks for now, then you can finish off the corsa conversion in your own time. still need to test mine on the road, but since its not got an mot it'll have to wait. I do have a 3d printer but not used it yet, eventually plan to design a case to mount the corsa unit rather than my mix of mk2 and corsa housings hacked together :lol:

8. Savagesam

Yeah I wrote about it a bit earlier in the thread, but getting the corsa bits to fit the mk2 clocks is a pain. I started but I’m not massively happy with how it’s going.

I don’t either sadly, otherwise you could have all my data! Well it’s worth a go, parts are cheap enough. No reason not to build it, see how it goes.

There’s no need to ‘get it on the road’ so I’ve got plenty of time to sort it out. If I knew how it worked properly, I could do that but I don’t! :(

9. rubjonny

nothing to it realy, 3 wires to the speedo unit and you just need a speedo healer to adjust the VW signal to suit. As I say it works out to almost exactly 4x the speed input so I made a very simple arduino project to put 4 pulses out for every single pulse in. seems to work on the bench, but need to try it on the road to make sure its not too laggy or unstable

10. NateS2

Hopefully going to have a chat to the original author and see if I can have his logs. Haldex in the original car, as I'm sure you know, needs ABS as well as the engine ECU to work properly. His device intercepts the signals and alters them to adjust the Haldex behaviour, for example changing the CAN message for the brake pedal being applied so you get some lock under breaking. Obviously in your car (if you use the stock ECU) you can have that part working find, but all the ABS messages will be missing which is the issue. Need to try and work out what messages to send to replace these to make Haldex work properly

Savagesam likes this.
  11. Savagesam

It’s more fitting of the unit into the clocks which is a bit shit. I don’t like it!

12. rubjonny

just take your time, and ideally use ce2 clocks as then you dont have to figure out the oil warning board as well as everything else. MM clocks have the metal frame which is handy for bolting all the bits to, but then you have to figure out how to hold it to the main housing since all the parts which used to hold it together are missing. VDO is all one piece so its easier from that perspective, its all plastic so in some ways easier as softer material. swings and roundabouts tbh. I have a finished MM one and I started a VDO based one as well though would need another corsa speedo to complete plus a load of free time which is hard to get :lol:

13. Savagesam

Yeah, see that’s an issue as mine is CE1. I need to buy another set of clocks if I do it as I broke my motor, doh!

14. NateS2

Had a chat with the author and hopefully going to start developing it more and possibly looking at making it standalone, but that is somewhat difficult as you have to keep dropping out CAN ID's until you find the minimum amount of ID's needed to make Haldex work. if someone had a HPA or similar controller lying about then it would be trivial

15. NateS2

Have been considering getting a Quattro Audi for a while so this may be the excuse I was looking for

Vinnie likes this.
  16. Savagesam

I’m also considering it, have been for a while, an R32 or something [:D]

Vinnie likes this.
  17. Vinnie Paid Member Paid Member

S5 sounds good to me

18. Savagesam

Can’t say I’m a huge fan, but would be a bit more useful

Vinnie likes this.
  19. Savagesam

Going back to this, didn't the one in the members section act as a standalone controller?

20. NateS2

Yeahh that one is, because as I understand you bin all the original control hardware and replace it with a stepper motor controller. By nobody in that thread references the pre-pressure pump, which doesn't seem right