Mk2 Rollcages

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mk1 driver, Oct 6, 2006.

1. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Currently looking for a rollcage for my Mk2, at the moment it has a sunroof but I will be removing all of this and sorting out a panel to cover the aperture. I am after a 6-point bolt-in with door bars to meet regulations.

Started off with 4 options; Safety Devices, Rollcentre, OMP and Sparco. (missed any?)

Safety Devices - Most distributors have given up dealing with them
    Rollcentre - Only make a cage for cars with a sunroof

OMP - non-sunroof cages - FE45 steel 334
    Sparco - non-sunroof cages - E255 steel 300 (50x2 main hoop)

I know that a couple of people use cages in their track cars, this is mainly for those with either an OMP cage or Sparco (or other if a 6-point bolt-in that is easily available).

Can anyone offer any advice on the subject of which cage to get?
    I do have a competent welder lined up for the job.

Cheers.

2. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

3. rgracin Forum Member

I've got a Sparco cage in mine. It's not got the best design for the front legs as they curve around the dash, a weak point I would say. I'm not sure if it would make any difference if they only do one for a sunroofed car as it's the base plates that would probably need to be fabricated and welded to the floor which will determine how high your cage sits. The main hoop sits nice and close to the driver to offer good protection though.

4. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

To get one from Julian at Balance Motorsport I would need to get at least 4 other people together as the min order is 5. (Anyone else interested in either an OMP or Sparco?)

I think the OMP dash might do the same around the dash area (although in the regs it may be cut to allow fitment).

Sunroof to non-sunroof is around 2-3 inches isn't it? Hmm, so I could get a rollcentre cage and have the welder fabricate some foot plates for each leg? What would happen to the rear cage fixing points on the rear arches if you were to raise the front section, rear cage wouldn't line up?

5. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

SD cages are generally superior to Sparco / OMP.

5 isn't a big number TBH - throw up a few group buy feelers on the VW forums and see how you go.

Personally I cannot see the sense in buying up a cage brand new and then extending or shortening the feet to get round sunroof issues. The likelihood of a crap-fitting cage is high, and you don't want bars nearer your head, or bodged near the car structure. S/hand- fair enough (sort of, but not ideal), but not new. Do it right, first time.

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

If you find a decent one, I`d be interested.

As an alternative - buy just the rear cage and get a fabricator to make the front section to suit - can you get rear cages that suit the sunroof ?

.... agree with Chris re SD and getting things right first time

My Mk1 has a SD rear with custom made front which allowed four additional mounting points.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2006
  7. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

So that's 2 SD orders for a GB. Three to go.

8. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I've heard that Rollcentre ones are better than SD, there is no chance in me getting an SD cage, Julian was the one who said he no longer wishes to use SD and has said that many others are doing the same. Modding the fitment of a cage to fit, throws out Rollcentre.

OMP or Sparco it will have to be as they are best suited to the requirements. (I could get a cage on my own and pay a bit more, if there is no likely GB [:$])

Does anyone have any details on the materials used, FE45 and E255 steel?

9. Phil. Forum Junkie

For what it's worth here's a reply I just got back from Deamon Tweaks regading an OMP cage.

Hello,

The cage is made by OMP and we do not keep in stock so would take approx 3-4weeks delivery. The cage is 6 point and is bolt in but comes with door bars which have to be welded into a place of your choosing. The cost of the cage is 420 delivered. One thing which is important is that the cage will only fit cars WITHOUT a sunroof.

Should you wish to order this item or have any further questions please contact me on the details below.

Many thanks

James Ramage - UK SALES DEPT

DIRECT TEL: +44 (0)1978 663022

DIRECT FAX: +44 (0)870 600 5752

DT(Automotives) Ltd T/A Demon Tweeks
    Reg Office: 75 Ash Road South, Wrexham Industrial Estate, Wrexham LL13 9UG

10. Dub20vt Forum Member

mk1 driver, can you confirm that the rollcentre is definitely for sunroofed cars?

i've been looking into this for the last month or so and everyone i speak to regarding SD isn't very keen due to lead times etc.

11. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Nice one Phil, I'll find out if Sparco are the same with the self-weld in door bars and a-pillar fitment. Delivery time sounds normal.

Golfboy Chris, the bloke on the other end of the line said that he doesn't get many people phoning him wanting a rollcage for a non-sunroof Mk2 Golf, with this he also mentioned a 2-3" clearance at the top of the cage, so presumably from this, they currently only produce a rollcage for sunroof equipt Mk2's.

12. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Julian has given up with SD and advised either an OMP or Sparco cage.

rgracin, do the front legs attatch top the sills or the floorpan at the front? Any chance of some pictures of your installation?

13. Dub20vt Forum Member

thanks mk1 driver.

i best get on the phone to rollcentre then :)

14. rgracin Forum Member

The feet sit just to the inside of the sills, so some plates would need to be fabricated. I'll try to get some pics for you, may take a couple of days though.

15. I V - mk1 16v Forum Member

I've got a 2nd rollcentre cage in mine and have modified it a bit with a harness bar, anyway Rollcentre were very helpful when i spoke to them, and even sold me a pre-cut & notched section of tubing for me to weld in.

16. Rigs Paid Member Paid Member

I wouldn't bother with SD... I've been trying to get a pair of door bars from them for 6 months now - they are being particularly useless despite claiming to be back to 'business as normal' - if this is normal they have some customer relations issues to sort out.

17. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Cheers rgracin.

The Rollcentre Mk2 cage was based on a car which had a Sunroof. The only option for me with Rollcentre is to get a non-sunroof shell and have a full weld-in cage fitted (not really an option for me).

I've e-mailed Safety Devices, Demon-Tweeks and a couple of SD suppliers to see what the score is with them.

[Edit after seeing Rigs' reply]

I'll see what, if anything, comes back from any of the SD links.

Sounds as though I'm back to OMP or Sparco, at least these are designed for non-sunroof cars but which one to go for?! How to decide?

18. hc-animal Forum Member

how about alley bars, the original roll cage manufacturer. are they still about even?

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

IIRC, they are the same as Roll Centre

20. POL

pol Forum Member

rollcentre were very helpful when i have dealt with them. if you got enough people together wanting non-sunroof cages i suspect they would make changes to their existing cage. god knows why people kept the sunroof if they are puting a cage in a car. [:s]