Mk2 Rollcages

Discussion in 'Track Prep & Tech' started by mk1 driver, Oct 6, 2006.

1. vrbanana Forum Junkie

What about trying to order one from (will fill in name when it comes to me) (welsh guy I think) (something motorsport) (fck my memorys cr@p) as part of last years group buy, I know its a bit late but worth a cheeky phone call to see :lol: :lol: You werent to know the group buy thread was 12 month+ old [:$]

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

No point in mailing SD, Ive tried several times with no reply................ to55ers [:x] [:x] [:x] [:x]

3. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Peter Lloyd Rallying?

4. vrbanana Forum Junkie

I knew my memory would post the answer :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :clap:

5. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Peter Lloyd Rallying can provide either an OMP 6-point bolt-in cage for 335+20 delivery or a Sparco 6-point bolt-in for 300+20 delivery.

OMP would be 2-3 weeks, Sparco 3 weeks.

I have found an OMP multipoint bolt-in cage for a Mk2, as seen here, it states the obvious with providing a lot more rigidity and reduced torsional chassis flex.

Should I consider going for a multipoint rollcage? Would it certainly be worth the 350 extra, or...?

6. jamesa Forum Junkie

Looks fun to fit !

Does it exceed your regs (suspension tie-in) ?

7. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Minimum requirements is a 6-point bolt-in with door bars.

"These requirements may be exceeded" as per the regs. (I will double check with the front turret bracing)

Would this cage take a lot longer to fit? Is it overkill? Should I just get a 6-point and with the money saved, buy the other safety equipment sooner?

(My Mk2 does have a sunroof (which I will remove and plate over) and seam welding is allowed but I'm thinking this could limit the car too much if I was to sell? Could seam welding be done after a rollcage install?)

Initially I was expecting to pay Rollcentre/Safety Devices money of 600, the OMP multi is knocking on 760... if it's going to be a lot more hassle...

8. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Wiechers is another option. Nugget of info on the bottom post on here

9. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

I had a few emails back and forth with weichers over a cage for the polo, very helpful, well priced and happy to deal directly with the customers, cut out the middle man and go direct!

Al

10. POL

pol Forum Member

christ if i didn't know better i would have said you worked in my work! words to that effect are our main proposition when selling holidays! directholidays.co.uk for those of you that are interested.

back on topic

you'll need to remove the interior to fit a cage. i would advise doing all cabin seam welding at that point in time as nothing will get in your way. trying to weld round a cage is hard going and can lead to some akward positions being posed!

11. Armour

Armour Forum Junkie

Whats the chances of a cheap week in Canaries in February then? [:D]

12. POL

pol Forum Member

feck knows, im being made redundant on 22dec as they are moving the company down south. best advice is to wait until the last minute to book. feb is a low volume month so there are usualy some bargains to be had. if your willing to go further Goa is meant to be good and very cheap once your there.

13. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

Do you know if they are FIA approved Al? I have asked a UK distributor for a bit more info (hoping they might have the answers).

For a Wiechers 6-point, I'm looking at about 500 + delivery etc. The question is, how many UK cars have a full Wiechers cage installed and were they happy?

Run into a bit of a problem understanding the OMP range today...

They offer; AA104 (6-point bolt-in cages), AB105 (bolt-in multipoint) but also another AB105 range (weld-in multipoint).

AA/104P/154 - basically a 6-point, bolt-in cage with door bars.
    AB/105/74S - (sadly not listed in the small list in demon-tweeks) the ebay advert has this part number down for the complete 10-point rollcage - still a bolt-in, apparently - with all of the additional bars listed, which appear in the full weld-in range (but that would be an AB106A number).

(Demon-tweeks motorsport catalogue (p168) for anyone wanting a look).

I think there should be a part number in between the two listed above which, from the demon-tweeks website, comes with door bar extensions and roof reinforcement (nothing more or less), as well as a 50x2mm main hoop. The questioning continues...

14. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I have ordered an OMP 6-point from Peter Lloyd Rallying which should be here in 2-3 weeks, so I'll keep you all posted.

15. sdj_mk3 Forum Member

A lot of people in this thread not happy with Safety Devices! I work for Ricardo and they do alot of cages for various projects we do and they're all pretty pucka. I've been looking around for a cage for my mk3 and they were really helpful (maybe becuase of my Ricardo e-mail address). I was in contact with Joost Meijerink, e-mail: sales@safetydevices.com. He was really helpful. Granted I've not tried to place an order yet as I'm still looking at my options. Just thought I'd offer a little deffence...

16. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

:o [:x] :thumbd: Great timing, knew something like this would happen (it usually does).

It wasn't explained too well before but what you've just put Gary, is muchos clear now.

Possibly shot myself in the foot, though I'm up against time and money to get the car completed and I think I got a good deal with the OMP cage, everything crossed that it doesn't prove too difficuly to install...

If there are 4 other people looking for an SD cage at this very moment... (bugger).
    (I know you did say to throw up a GB thread Chris sorry but, it was a little unclear at the time what the min 5 orders related to, with the info I received)

17. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

[xx(] Not being funny, but it was obvious enough. GBs aren't difficult to run if you are prepared to put some effort in....

18. mk1 driver Forum Junkie

I've got enough to sort out as it is. :lol:

And like I said, it was unclear from Balance Motorsport that the min order of 5 rollcages was in fact relating to SD, after clearing stating prior to this that he had given up dealing with SD, as had others.

19. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Sure, point taken!

20. A.N. Other Banned after significant club disruption Dec 5th 2

Will move to group buys later. Benefits all as far as I can see.