Mk2 Scirocco 1.8t RWD

Discussion in 'Members Gallery' started by Mk2daz, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Mk2daz

Mk2daz Paid Member Paid Member

Having recently finished my ABF converted scirocco and with it now in daily use and out the way, its time to start the next!

Been toying with building some kind of track day toy for a while and with all of this COVID-19 home isolation stuff in place now is the time to get cracking

I've had this shell for a while now, it sat in a breakers yard since 2004 i think, originally a GT2, local Aberdeen car , i bought the whole thing to use as a parts car as most of the panels were solid, rear arches in particular are very good on this car which is suprising

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

While back I removed the engine, interior, carpets, wiring, stripped back and scraped away all the sound deadening

[​IMG]

Picked up this mk4 1.8t over the weekend and got cracking removing what i needed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It does need welding in some areas, but nothing that cant be fixed over a few sessions with the MIG

My plan is get the shell nice and solid and protected, get a cage welded in, bolt in the 1.8t and get it running, put on a bigger turbo, injectors etc etc , then paint car and bolt in some bucket seats [​IMG]

I'm looking for any mk1 golf 1.8t conversion bits anyone has!

erreesse and Sirguydo like this.
  2. Mk2daz

bits removed from the mk4, I've also taken the brakes which i may or may not use

[​IMG]

Stripped some stuff off the engine, mainly PAS pump and AC compressor and respective lines and brackets

[​IMG]

Few years ago my old man made this DIY rollover jig for a mk1 fiesta, we have now adapted it to fit the scirocco bumper mounting points, and gave it a lick of red bonda paint

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the rusty suspension and steering gear was removed and flung, keeping a hold of the rear axle for now, it may get flung at a further date

[​IMG]

Up she goes on the spit

[​IMG]

doors off and fuel tank off and flung, then removed all the other crap that i have no intention of using, such as std seatbelts etc

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

just been generally assessing whats needing done and cleaning up some metal here and there, lets just say I'm going to need plenty of these (and cutting discs)

[​IMG]

and gonna need alot time with this

[​IMG]

Given the life its had, its not all that bad..

Pass sill and axle mounting point

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Drivers sill and mounting is the worst

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

handbrake cable mounting points

[​IMG]

floor/inner sill drivers side

[​IMG]

plenty of work ahead but at the same time plenty to keep me occupied during isolation

I remember when i first declared this car sorn, it was last taxed in 2004, the gent at the yard said it was driven in with tax and MOT, i bought it in 2017/18 i think, which means 14/15 years sitting in the scrappy!

Luckily was never actually declared as scrap so i was able to apply for the V5, its a local Aberdeen car with 'RS' reg

Tommorow I'll get it on its side and get started on the floor/sills

Toyotec and erreesse like this.
  3. Mk2daz

Some progression on the welding side of things, I'm not much of a welder so just kind of doing this as I go, theres very few repair panels available for these things so its a case of making up your own stuff.

Day after previous update got it tilted over to get started on passenger side sill/rear arch

[​IMG]

Sill itself looked in fairly good nick other than a dented section needing pulled out slightly

There was numerous holes for where the bodykit sits that were needing welded up, one of which turned out to be hiding a small amount of rot on the inside too so welded that up

[​IMG]

then plugged up the rest of the holes

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Rear arch was starting to go round the lip at either end, and little bits in the wheel well so welded in some fresh metal, and that was that for the passenger side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now on to the other side, alot more work ahead on this side

Tilted her over

[​IMG]

quick before pic

[​IMG]

first things first, cut out the rot, right along the sill, lip of the arch and inside the wheel well

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Welded in some fresh metal to the wheel well which connected the outer arch to the inner arch again

[​IMG]

My isolation view

[​IMG]

My plan for the sill was to create a lip from the floor that I could then join the outer sill to to create the sill lip/edge

So cleaned up and cut out the rot around the axle mounting point and welded in some fresh metal with a lip sticking out as per above, all of these pictures are before the welds were fully ground down

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then proceeded to work my way along the floor edge cleaning up and cutting out any rot and welding in clean metal with the lip, I also double skinned the hole in the floor by welding in a thin patch on the top side, nice and solid now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The inside of the sill was in reasonably good nick and was given a good clarting of red bonda rust protector

[​IMG]

Once i had the inner lip right along, made up a couple of panels that I welded in to the outer sill, joining up to that bottom lip, nice and strong now

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then cut off the excess lip and ground down the welds a bit

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

plugged up the bodykit holes similar to the passenger side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then gave everything a good covering of red bonda rust protector for now, just to cover the bare metal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All thats left to weld now is drivers side rear arch lip, handbrake mounting points on the floor, and there are two very tiny holes where the fuel tank was sitting that need patched up

I also need to fabricate a front and rear valance as both are rotten, these will be done once its off the spit

Looking to get the floor, engine bay and inner wings blasted to get all the under seal off, but looks like that wont be happening for a while yet with the current COVID-19 situation!

Been shopping around to see if there are any pre-made cages for sciroccos and the only one iv really stumbled across is this one from custom cages

[​IMG]

its 1084 quid plus VAT excluding fitting, bit north of my budget [​IMG]

Is there anywhere local to Aberdeen that people have had cages fitted before?

Plenty more updates to follow

4. Toyotec

Toyotec CGTI Committee - Happy helper at large Admin

Incredible amount of patience you have!

5. Mk2daz

Patience is a virtue, especially when isolating from COVID 19..

Also, theres something quite rewarding about driving a car that has been worked on by yourself form the ground up :)

6. Mk2daz

Some more welding today, aim was to get the rest of the floor rot patched up and solid again

Its quite funny as all the rot that is being patched up here is completely symmetrical, so do one side then repeat the exact same on the other side

Drivers side first, seat rails removed to get the full extent of rot caused by the handbrake cable mounting points, and to also get them flung to make way for bucket seat mountings

The metal behind the spot welds was thin and a little bit crusty so went right through on a couple of the spot welds when drilling them out

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As always when you start to clean up around the rot it always extends further than you think

[​IMG]

cut oot'

[​IMG]

Then decided to re-inforce and strengthen the floor behind where the seat rails were, main purpose was to give some strength for when i weld in the bucket seat supports

[​IMG]

Then patched up the hole i'd cut, marked out the shape using a cereal box then traced the shape on to some sheet metal, my welding certainly wont win any awards but I'd like to think it will be solid enough for hooning around a track

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next up was a little hole that had formed just above the lip that the OEM fuel tank sort of rests on, not sure what caused this there must have been clips or something here, its the exact same on the other side

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

tacked it up top too, I'll seam seal all of this eventually

[​IMG]

started to clean up the other side next

[​IMG]

Seat rail out

[​IMG]

smaller patch required at this side

[​IMG]

Again went right through on a couple of spot welds by accident

[​IMG]

Reinforced anyway as per other side for bucket seat supports

[​IMG]

isolating from todays society, i filmed a little timelapse and this is a screenshot from it

[​IMG]

hole patched

[​IMG]

other hole patched in the exact same spot as other side, floor is now solid

[​IMG]

tacked in up top

[​IMG]

floor welding now complete, it will all get cleaned up some more and seam sealed at some point after all the underseal is removed

but for now i've just nailed some red bonda rust primer over it all

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Tommorow I will tackle the lip of the rear arch, its getting there

Thanks for reading :)

erreesse likes this.
  7. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Nice work looking forward to seeing more good to see a scirocco be saved

Mk2daz likes this.
  8. Mk2daz

Todays job as mentioned above was to sort out the drivers side rear arch, the arch is pretty good other than the lip thats starting to go on both the inner and outer

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had cut it here previously for doing the sill and wheel well

[​IMG]

cleaned up the metal, cut out the rot and welded in a small section to reinforce the outer arch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Then started welding in the lip, done it in small sections

Where I've marked ticks was where the lip was still solid for a few inches, used that as my reference for lip width

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then made up a small panel to reinforce the bottom of the arch where it meets the sill, a common point for rot

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then welded in the next section of the lip

[​IMG]

just the top section left to do now

[​IMG]

Plugged up the fuel filler neck bracket mounting point too while i was here, i wont be needing that anymore with the fuel tank moving to the boot floor

[​IMG]

I was running real low on thin sheet metal, so had to do the rest in two small bits

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Filled in the gap to give me a complete rear arch

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

then ground it down flush, needs a skim of filler to to be perfect but i'm pretty happy with it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

usual red bonda clarting to finish the job and to protect the bare metal

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thats all the welding done that i wanted to do with it on the rollover spit

I now have

2x solid rear arches

2x solid sills

solid floor pan

Next job is to get it off the spit at the back and get it jacked up high to fabricate up a rear valance and get that welded in, i cut it off a while back as it was rotten underneath the bodykit

[​IMG]

then it will be a similarish story up front

[​IMG]

the build is moving forward slowly [​IMG]

Vinnie, erreesse and xan_lee like this.
  9. copeidge

copeidge Forum Member

Great progress and really love where this is going!
    The red coloured primer you use looks brilliant, nice thick coating! where is that from?
    With this being a track car, would it not be best to trim off the top of the lip on the arch from say 10o'clock to 2o'clock, for wheel/tyre clearance, or do you think you'll get away with it?

Great work and I'll look forward to more updates :)

10. Mk2daz

Thanks for the comment mate,

Its this stuff here, brushes on nice and thick, good for coating bare metal!
    https://www.rustins.ltd/bonda/our-products/anti-rust-and-corrosion/bonda-rust-primer-

I'm hoping I should be okay, but i'm happy to do some trimming if it comes to it, just getting the shell nice and solid for the time being

11. Mk2daz

bit more work on the rusty rocco

gonna be going for quite a tidy engine bay in this one, so the battery tray, scuttle tray and various little brackets got flung

[​IMG]Mk2 rocco resto 1 by Daz Scirocco, on Flickr

sunroof and sunroof tray flung, making sure i never cut through the roof skin in the process

leaves more space for the cage, il just rivet a panel over the sunroof hole

parcel shelf trays flung (rust on the turret that needs dealt with too)

shaving kilos off!

cleaned all the sticky glue residue off the floors and coated in zinc primer

tiger seal remains removed from rear arches where the bodykit was and bare metal coated for now, they are looking solid again

stripped off the old underseal, this job sucks! theres still a bit more to do in the nooks and crannies but the most of it is off, inner wings, floorpan and rear wheel tubs

Of course the underseal removal revealed some more rust that il need to deal with

the factory etch primer has kept a good hold over the years

welded in a rear valance i made up, just need to cut out exhaust slot

started stripping all my looms for splicing and tidy up

stripped down the engine, degreased and pressure washed the block

block painted black

rocker cover degreased and painted in VHT white

took delivery of my lightened and balanced G60 flywheel from Martin at Gas n Gears, shaved down to 5.225kg

Then went shopping for some essentials, social distancing rules adhered to

Started to bolt up some cool stuff to the engine

I've got the following parts for it:

• new elring gaskets
    • new crankcase breather pipe
    • new thermostat and seal
    • new sachs VR6 clutch kit
    • lightened G60 flywheel
    • new flywheel stretch bolts
    • new Beach Buggy Turbos ko4-k418t hybrid turbo
    • 3" MAF
    • trackslag mk1 golf/scirocco ko4 downpipe
    • ko4 stainless manifold
    • ko4 inlet with fuel rail and FPR
    • gonna keep it old skool with the AGU cable throttle body
    got my eyes on an emerald k6 ecu, they also make a handy AGU adapter so i can use the oem loom once i've converted it

Unfortunately engine will have to wait a wee while till shell is down and rolling

Working my way through the remainder of the welding jobs, im really keen to get the floor done and treated and get her down on all fours

Oh and I also bought a wavetrac LSD, took a bit of a punt on it, it came off a big power lupo track car that had blown it’s gearbox going round knockhill, the diff seems to have survived other than 1 or 2 bolt heads being marked slightly.

its seen less than 300 miles including one rolling road and a couple track days, these diffs are slightly better designed than the Quaife units and the price for a new one reflects that.

After a bit of back and forth with Martin (hotgolf on here) at Gas n Gears for some very knowledgable and helpful advice we came to the conclusion it should be OK, so I went and picked it up last night.

been doing some reading in to my gearbox too, came from an ABF I was expecting it to be a standard 02A, it is in fact an O2C, which is pretty much an 02A/O2J but with an undrilled stronger rallye bell housing, diff housing is the exact same so the wavetrac should fit no bother!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

cheers for reading :)

Vinnie and erreesse like this.
  12. Chemilove89 New Member

Wow great stuff, I need to get my hand on that turbo. Does this company shipped to the US?

13. valvemiester

valvemiester Paid Member Paid Member

Wow great progress on the car that rubberized undersea VWuse may be a pain to get off but it's certainly done a good job of protecting the shell :thumbup:

14. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

Nice work! I love new bits!

I want your gearbox casing!!!

15. rubjonny

rubjonny Administrator Staff Member Admin

most if not all ABF gearboxes had this case, I suspect it was for homologation purposes so the motorsport versions could make use of the stronger casting?

for most applications its not needed but always nice to have. plus if you fit abf engine with the lower alloy cast bracket it has thread for both bolt holes in the bracket, where normal 02a only has the 1 hole. again not that it really matters, many abf conversions are on 020 and neither bolt hole is used in the alloy bracket and makes no real difference

Mk2daz likes this.
  16. Mk2daz

I bought this turbo from someone locally who never used it all, I’d imagine they would, the company is called BBT (Beach Buggy Turbos)

17. Mk2daz

Yeah it’s a pain to get off but it serves its purpose well, this car has sat in a scrapyard in a very rainy Scotland for 14ish years, so not bad at all really!

18. Mk2daz

Can’t beat shiny new bits!

19. Mk2daz

That’s interesting to know, thanks for that

Although now I don’t feel so special about my 02C! :lol:

20. Savagesam

Savagesam Moderator Staff Member Moderator

I’ve got a Mk3 16v box in the boot of my Mk3 16v and it doesn’t have the 02c type casing. I haven’t checked the one in the car!