Mk2 VR6 Conversion - Update Power Figures

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Deako, Jan 14, 2005.

1. ViCk Forum Member

Looking Great Deako ! [:D]

I'm thinking about doing a Mk2 VR project later this year.

2. KeithMac Forum Junkie

Good price on the coating, would cost twice that round here [xx(]

Got my lambda welded in, manifold wrapped and 2 headgaskets fitted yesterday, just need to wire the digi1 in today but it`s raining at the mo [xx(]

Will have to make sure I get the wipers working :lol:

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Well, bit of an update. The powder coated subframe was fitted with powerflex wishbone bushes. Inner rears were from a Mk3 and the rest were the standard mk2 fitment. The rear axle bushes have also been changed for powerflex items, and the arbs have been fitted.

The pedal box was installed prior to this along with the vr6 servo (tight fit - nuns snatch) and vr6 master cylinder. This should improve the pedal feel immensely.

The engine has now been mounted and ive swapped the standard inlet for the partly polished item i had kicking around! ;) Most the plumbing is now complete including the downpipe.

Roll on tomorrow, cant wait to put most the finishing touches to the car and hopefully get the engine started. I still need to source some rado vr6 or passat tdi fans though, but a trip to sanburn tomorrow will hopefully solve that.

Heres a snap of the lump sitting pretty!! :)
    [​IMG]

4. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

5. Funkyfin2000 Forum Addict

Nice one Luke, cracking work.

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers guys. Ive been disheartened with it the past 7 days, at times things go slow, especially when you are waiting on parts. However, when progress is made it feels like a great achievement.

I really want to thank my good friend and mechanic Ivan Phillips though. He's carried me through this, let me use all his tools, ramps, and given me loads of technical advice and help, especially today getting the more technical things sorted.

7. wolfsburg85 Forum Member

Deako you have PM

8. nez1978 Forum Member

thats looking mighty fine in all deako. I'm in the process of trying to find an engine with all the bits at the mo so to start a conversion on my own mk2. Found one today in a scrapyard, complete mk3, but the engine is leaking oil which didn't lighten my heart much.

Have you got anymore pictures of the engine sat in place, from different angles, have to keep showing my mechanic friend who will do most of the conversion, as hes interested in what you are doing.

nice job again.

9. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers. I'll get some more photos tomorrow. :) Have got to take off the rear mount and lop some off it due to bonnet clearance tomorrow.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Tonight good progress was made. I decided to completely junk the rad fan controller for the vr6 (on Pauls advice) and just use a modifed mk2 rad loom. It eliminates a lot of untidy cabling in the engine bay. Almost everything is plumbed in now.

I reconnected the battery and tried to fire her up. Bad news though, the fuel pump doesnt prime and there is no injector pulse when the engine cranks. The engine does crank though!

Back to the drawing board/head scratching.

11. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Don't give up mate, will all be worth it in the end. If its all done in time, you bringing it to the GTI launch?

12. nez1978 Forum Member

what loom were you using deako? sounding like a bit of a nightmare to me this, in talks over an engine right now. Out of a mk3. And luckily the lad whos helping me, his dad builds american rods, and generally overhauls american cars, although hes doing an aston martin at the mo. I'm hoping we will not have many problems.

Is the loom your using out of that passat?

13. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, the Passat loom. Bit of a nightmare loom really, it double confuses things having to remove all the lighting plugs from it.

jjarvis, my car will be finished and in use by friday.

14. jjarvis Forum Junkie

Cool, look forward to seeing on the 6th??

15. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yep, my car will be at the GTI launch! [:D]

Thos BBS RMs you know you really want can be had on the 6th as well! ;)

16. jjarvis Forum Junkie

:lol: Nice try

17. nez1978 Forum Member

Deako - question; Looking at a mk3 golf with VR^ in at the mo for salvage. Nothing has been taken from the car, so i'm hoping everything i need will be there. But do you have to use a hydralic clutch with a VR6 engine (i.e-necessity)?? I started this coz i thought it would be less than a 20vt conversion, lol. VR6 is gettijg more expensive by the minute now.

and would the loom on a mk3 pose the same probs you had? i bet it wouldn't would it. [:s]

18. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

The hydraulic clutch isnt a necessity. You can use the Cable clutch mechanism from the SEATs with 02A gearboxes (hydraulic clutch is light and very nice though). You will still need Corrado VR6 fans & rad and maybe rad hoses if yours cant be modified.

You will get the subframe, but you can use the mk2 wishbones, alternatively change to wide track with the full mk3 lower front end.

My VR6 conversion has cost me about 1700 so far. But im going to get most that back selling my ABF engine and parts from the donor car.

When i spoke to Paul he said that he had never had a VR6 loom with the lighting integrated into the main engine loom. Howver, he had also never worked with a Passat loom. Im assuming yours would be ok, but its easy to check if the looms are together or seperate.
    Edited by: Deako

19. nez1978 Forum Member

is that a complete arse to fit a hydraulic clutch assembly though. My car is a 91 16v, what gearbox series is that?? sorry, here comes my naivety to technical specs.

i've a feeling that i'm gonna lose out on a 40k mile VR6 here, just due to lack of funds thanks to xmas, [8(]

20. cliveyp Forum Member

that i can see on mine, the lighting loom is seperate to the engine loom.Hope that helps!