Mk2 VR6 Conversion - Update Power Figures

Discussion in 'VR5, VR6 & Wx' started by Deako, Jan 14, 2005.

1. GVK

GVK Paid Member Paid Member

Luke, sounds as though there's no signal from the crank sensor - if there is, check for power feed to injectors/coil pack etc

Paul had probs starting his Corrado after he put the 12v VR6 in, and one of the plugs wasn't fully home in the fusebox.

2. vrbanana Forum Junkie

Loads of gullible track day bods for the 16v so you should make a few quid back :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

keep up the good work, hope to see you on the track with it:thumbup:

3. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers Daz. Only the electrics left to sort now, but i can barely wire a plug ;). Getting help from paul via email, hes a star!!!

4. Guests Banned

well done mate.....credit due for doing the work yourself.

also not going down the 20vt route :)

5. albinoDUB Forum Member

the lighting loom is part of the engine loom on a mk3, so would have to be split apart. (well it was on a 96 one i had)

also the mk3 rear subframe has to be modded slightly.

the two forks which go back under the anti-roll bar mounts need to be shortened and the holes re-drilled.

and u cant use the mk3 front cross member

scruffydubber

6. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

7. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Yeah, its a pain in the arse but ultimately worth it.

Your car has an 020 gearbox.

Grab it if you can get the funds together. Low mileage VR6 engines are hard to come by nowadays, unless you are a jammy bastid like me. Dont have to do the conversion yet, but just get the engine for starters.

Edit: Just make sure its not an auto.
    Edited by: Deako

8. Golden Forum Junkie

IMHO the only thing wrong with the VR6 unit is the clutch and cable change, both of which suck ass.

9. albinoDUB Forum Member

my bad,

i did my conversion into a early corrado, and there is holes at the back where the forks of the subframe can bolt on, hence why i modded the subframe slightly.

but after looking at my mk2 i see it doesnt have them.

10. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Are you a cable clutch and rod change fan then?

11. Andy947 Forum Addict

Rubbish, a hydraulic clutch is much better than a cable one :)

12. Russ_JDUB Forum Member

Coming along nicely Luke! Look forward to seeing the final result! :thumbup:

13. Tubthumped Forum Junkie

I would rather have cable clutch and rod change personally.

14. sife1 Forum Member

:clap: :clap:
    well Deako, that's good progress you got going there! it'll all be worthwhile in the end and knowing you done it yourself [:D]

Keep up the good work
    Edited by: sife1

15. nez1978 Forum Member

i know low mileage engines are hard to come by, looked again, this one has 49 on it, and i can have the whole car too. I'm trying my absolute best to get this car this weekend, i should manage it, but i'll be highly upset if i don't. And the cars a P reg, so i know i'll need the keys and stuff, but hope because its a late wiring loom, i don't have to split the lighting loom out of the engine loom.

16. velly_16v_cab

velly_16v_cab Forum Junkie

:clap: looking good luke

[:D]

17. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Cheers guys. Last night i solved the problem of the fuel pump pressurising, but the car still wont start. Back to the drawing board.

18. mattingg Forum Member

Hi there, had a quick read of the post, fair play, but was wondering
    what rear engine mount you used? I assume it was a Golf VR6 one? I Put a
    Corrado rear subframe in mine, but needed to shorten the engine mount
    by 22mm to get it to clear the bonnet! Its still a tight fit now, but
    coundn't shorten any more! Did you have any issues with this?

19. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

I fitted a Mk3 subframe. Standard VR6 rear engine mount and had to take it apart and hacksaw about 20mm off the metal mount and the same from the rubber. Clears bonnet no problem now! [:D]

And great news everyone! It only fecking started tonight. Idiot here plumbed the ECU live feed to an ignition live instead of permanent live, and as soon as i changed it the car started.

Im so chuffed. Thanks to Pauls email today, i would have discounted that as being the problem otherwise! :p

Looks like my car will make it to Stealth Racing this sunday for the Rolling Road day after all. Not sure ill run her unless i get the rev counter working with my mk2 clocks, but you never know! ;)

20. Deako Paid Member Paid Member

Heres a pic of how it looks at the minute. All back together tomorrow [:D] Yes, im going to clean up the oil cooler and oil filter housing first! ;)

[​IMG]